PIN/ID
    23FE1C8B

Re: How To: Install Apps via a Mac

Advertisement

grrrrrrrrrr

atunick14 no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by smomus
    When I first got my BB Pearl all up and running and realized how undersupported Macs are I was EXTREMELY disappointed. I hope that RIM is working on correcting this major issue. Thanks for this post I am downloading the vmware as i type. Hopefully I can utilize my BB to its fullest now with this information!
    ^^very true. Im guessing that when BB was made macs werent very big yet and software wasnt needed for macs

atunick14 no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs down Re: How To: Install Apps via a Mac

It says it can not be installed on my mac because is does not have an intel processor!!! so am i screwed???

hls811 no está en línea I dress myself!
    PIN/ID
    30B8DA04

What can't be installed? Parallels/VMWare?? They only work w/ Intel processors..

If you wanted to put yourself through alot of misery and pain you could try to install Virtual PC for Mac - that worked for the PPC based Mac's but its really slow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."

QueenFish75 no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by hls811
    I stand corrected with this - If you have the latest version of PocketMac for Blackberry after launching the app you can go do 'Utilities' > 'Install Applications to Device' and install apps with an .alx extension...

Very cool.. I wasn't aware this worked! (I just updated mine, I know this wasn't here with my older version, I'm not sure what I had before though...)
    Hi,
    I'm pretty new to both Mac and using a BB for personal use (as opposed to the one issued by previous companies). I've been using MissingSync to synch my BB to my Mac (calendar and address book). So do I now need to get PocketMac as well in order to install applications and the BB Desktop Manager?

Thanks!

PIN/ID
    30B8DA04

Hi.. and Welcome to the Stacks.. God choice on computer and phone

Theres no easy answer to your questions unfortunately.. If you have access to a Windows PC (or don't mind installing Parallels/VMWare/BootCamp to access Windows) then I'd suggest keeping the Missing Sync since you already paid for it... You can then use Missing Sync for your everyday syncing and then flip over to Windows for the app installs (that you can't do wirelessly).

Or, you can also install PocketMac and just use that for App installs - I do understand people have had problems installing some applications via PocketMac so its not a 100% perfect solution. The one thing you can't do on the Mac with any program is an OS upgrade for your Pearl (Not that you HAVE to do them, but occasionally they do release upgrades.. You need Windows for that).

I'm content with PocketMac for everything I have to do - I've never had a problem. I tried MissingSync but it wasn't worth shelling out the $40 for it (and I couldn't find any cracks.. not that I'd ever use those.. I'm just saying!

Hope this didn't confuse ya.. Let me (or anyone here) know if you need more info!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

rw5579 no está en línea Stack level 3

for those who have successfully loaded apps via pocketmac, have you experienced any lengthy delays... i'm attempting an install of pacman via pocketmac onto my pearl, and its been 40plus minutes so far... if it loads successfully i'll update w the final time, just curious if others encountered the same findings. thx

PIN/ID
    30B8DA04

I've installed apps and themes before, although not Pac-Man and haven't had any delays like that.. it took a matter of minutes.

If you want to send me a link to download I can give it a shot (If its a free install or demo)..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

been nearly 2 hrs... i downloaded the zip file, the site that had the download is out of service, I can email you the zip file though

this morning and my two hour endeavor marked my fifth attempt to install the application... i aborted the process... retried and it installed in under one minute... go figure???
    Last edited by rw5579; 07-30-2007 at 05:14 PM.

PIN/ID
    30B8DA04

Thats weird.... but at least it worked!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

zazie8 no está en línea Stack level 1

but what about applications (say from Handango) that only have an .exe file? I couldn't figure out how to install these.

iaindean no está en línea Stack level 1

u could always install bootcamp and windows on your intel mac, then run the pc software from your intel mac to install apps and such, this is how i run it, and to syn my mail/calendar i use pocket mac which RIM now owns copyright to and has available to download from blackberry.com

kittstr no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by ezekman
    PocketMac works for me...most of the time. Has anyone been able to install Opera Mini via PocketMac? I've tried several different downloads of the Opera Mini and I keep getting the same error.

"Unable to locate one or more files required by this installer."

I have both these files:
    operette-hifi.alx
    operette-hifi.cod

Any ideas what else I need? Thanks.
    Posting 2 months later trying to help :-)...

The opera team messed up the installer. You need to open operette-hifi.alx with a text editor and remove operette-hifi-1.cod under the files section. Save the file and try again. All better!

You probably figured this out by now anyway, hope that helps.

Andrew Strouse
    ( kittstr@kittstr.com )

macthenaif no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    31ABBD6C

anyone know how i can get a copy of BootCamp? it's been removed from Apple's servers.

Alan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast