Results 1 to 5 of 5

Ok, I feel like a total idiot. I have been looking on all the "How-to's" ... Macs & MacBooks forum

  1. #1
    wylien's Avatar
    wylien no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    PIN/ID
    2138DBF2
    Posts
    14

    Question How do I ...?

    Advertisement



    Ok, I feel like a total idiot. I have been looking on all the "How-to's" and can't seem to find an answer...

    I have a BB 8100 and a MacBook Pro. I want to upgrade the firmware on my BB (currently I have v.4.2.0.71) and I have NO idea on how to go about it. I also wanted to keep my contacts in sync and upload a couple of ringtones (but that last one is not an important issue).

    I tried using Bluetooth connectivity, but that was a "no no".

    Later, I found a USB cable plugged my BB to my Macbook Pro and it gave me this error:

    "USB charging current is not sufficient. Verify that your handheld is connected to a powered USB charging source and that the proper USB driver is installed."

    I really thought it was all plug and play, but I have found it to be a bit more difficult than that.

    Am I using the wrong cable (I have tried two), do I need special software (ie; Desktop Application) that I dont know about....please help.

    Thanks in advance...

  2. #2
    pearl4ever's Avatar
    pearl4ever no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    PIN/ID
    3181CA9F
    Posts
    25

    Re: How do I ...?

    its not the cable
    you need the proper device manager for mac and your specific bb
    you can find both on the blackberry website
    it will also link you to your servise provider website which will give you the nessesary drivers

  3. #3
    Sci-Tek's Avatar
    Sci-Tek no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    849

    Re: How do I ...?

    the USB error your getting could be related to your device not beeing a USB2 .

    I can recomend doing this on a windows computer.. atleast its easier to help you there .. for most of us.

    OS can be downloaded here:
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...f_09jan08.html

    Regarding the installation process..
    What I had to do when installing was:
    1. install the DLed file
    2. Start apploader, connect phone, follow the on screen wizard that came up with "your device wants to update" or something like that.

    But i've seen several people say that vendor.xml needs deletion, this was something I never did..
    If you get the newest version from your carrier that shoudn't really be a needed.. (from what I understand on the vendor.xml file.).

  4. #4
    fritter's Avatar
    fritter no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Posts
    942

    Re: How do I ...?

    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~also make sure your using the cable that came with the BB other third party cables seem to have problems

  5. #5
    wylien's Avatar
    wylien no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    PIN/ID
    2138DBF2
    Posts
    14

    Re: How do I ...?

    Quote Originally Posted by pearl4ever View Post
    its not the cable ... you need the proper device manager for mac and your specific bb ... you can find both on the blackberry website ... it will also link you to your servise provider website which will give you the nessesary drivers
    ok i will try this, but i have a feeling that PocketMac for BB will not be my solution, but i certainly hope so...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sci-Tek View Post
    the USB error your getting could be related to your device not beeing a USB2 ... I can recomend doing this on a windows computer.. atleast its easier to help you there .. for most of us.

    OS can be downloaded here:
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...f_09jan08.html

    Regarding the installation process..
    What I had to do when installing was:
    1. install the DLed file
    2. Start apploader, connect phone, follow the on screen wizard that came up with "your device wants to update" or something like that.

    But i've seen several people say that vendor.xml needs deletion, this was something I never did..
    If you get the newest version from your carrier that shoudn't really be a needed.. (from what I understand on the vendor.xml file.).
    Thanks for the great info, but isn't AppLoader for windows only?

    Quote Originally Posted by fritter View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~also make sure your using the cable that came with the BB other third party cables seem to have problems
    yeah, that seems to be a problem because i can't seem to find the right cable....not sure what i did with it ...might need to buy a new one


    Thanks to everyone!
    If you have anymore tips please let me know. I will keep you updated as soon as I find out if PocketMac worked.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •