Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did you know you can use a mobile telephone as a wireless modem? If your ... Macs & MacBooks forum

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

How to: (Apple/MacIntosh) Use BB As A Wireless Modem

Advertisement

Did you know you can use a mobile telephone as a wireless modem?

If your phone and computer can connect over IrDA or Bluetooth, you're well on your way. You can connect your Macintosh to the Internet using a GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) mobile telephone as a modem.

To do so, you should first make sure that you can:

* Connect to the Internet over GPRS using the WAP browser in your telephone

* Connect your Macintosh to your mobile phone over IrDA or Bluetooth.

Once you can do these two things, you can set up your computer to use the telephone as a wireless modem to connect to the Internet.

Important: GPRS data services and Internet access are typically optional offerings. Ask your mobile phone operator about GPRS availability in your area, and what the subscription fees and service charges are. For more information, see How to Connect to the Internet Using a GPRS Mobile Telephone.

Using your mobile phone as a wireless modem Once you have made the appropriate network settings on your Mac, you can use your mobile phone as a wireless modem.

1. Ask your mobile phone operator for the network settings necessary to use your GPRS mobile phone as a modem. In some cases, you'll use the same network settings that your phone uses. In others, you may need to get network settings specific for computers. Typically, these settings include:

* GPRS dial-up number

* User ID

* Password

* IP Address

* DNS Address

* other advanced settings such as authentication, data compression, header compression, and quality of service

2. From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.

3. From the View menu, choose Network.

4. Choose New Location from the Location pop-up menu.

5. Type a name for the new location such as "Wireless Modem".

6. Choose "Network Port Configurations" from the Show pop-up menu.

7. Make sure the "USB Bluetooth Modem Adapter" is enabled. Deselect the ports or interfaces you aren't using in this location, such as "Built-in Ethernet", and "Internal Modem".

8. Click Apply Now.

9. Choose "USB Bluetooth Modem Adapter" from the Show pop-up menu.

10. Click the TCP/IP tab, if necessary. Choose "Using PPP" from the configure pop-up menu, and enter the DNS numbers and search domains as provided by your mobile phone operator.

11. Click the PPP tab, and enter the account name, password, and telephone number as provided by your mobile phone operator.

12. Click PPP Options. A sheet appears. Click "Use TCP header compression" to disable this option, and click OK. Your operator may be able to tell you if you can leave this option turned on or not.

13. Click the Bluetooth Modem tab, and choose a mobile phone model that closely resembles yours from the Modem pop-up menu. In some cases, your mobile phone operator may provide a specific modem script for you to use.

14. Click Apply Now.

15. From the View menu, choose Bluetooth.

16. Click the Settings tab, and select "Show Bluetooth status in the menu bar" to enable that option, if necessary.

17. Make your mobile phone "discoverable" to other Bluetooth devices, or turn on Bluetooth communication. See the documentation that came with your phone for instructions.

18. Choose "Search for phones" from the Bluetooth menu bar item, and select your phone, which you have already paired.

19. Once your phone and Mac are connected, open the Internet Connect application.

20. Click connect. Your telephone should connect to your mobile phone operator, and in 10 to 20 seconds, you should be able to use the Internet.

Courtesy of Apple Computers

---------------------------------------------------

New update:

ggoodale:

Not sure if many Mac users frequent this board, but just in case:

If you're interested using your Pearl as a modem via bluetooth, I've written a modem script for OS X. As I'm a new member, I can't post links, but you can grab a copy off of my blog, which is linked in my profile. Comments, suggestions and bug reports welcome. I'm getting between 130 and 150kbps download speeds according to Speakeasy's speed tests.

ggoodale's Blog: http://www.fibble.org

Use your BlackBerry Pearl as a Bluetooth Modem under OS X:
    http://www.fibble.org/archives/000508.html

Enjoy!

maz94protege no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    296C692F

Re: How to: (Apple/MacIntosh) Use BB As A Wireless Modem

im still having so much trouble connecting with the pearl and macbook.

can anyone give me some help on this?

Kuwest no está en línea Stack level 1
    thank you all for your help it work great on my powerbook

robbo007 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Has anyone got this to work with the 8707v or the 8707 series?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

gabe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2022D44B
    This will not work with anything other than the Pearl. No other BlackBerry devices support the Bluetooth dialup networking profile.
    PIN: 2022D44B
    Cingular BB 7290
    my free blog hosting

chatster18 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ASK

Is it a new BT modual in the Pearl or is it just they have it disabled on the other models? I would love to use my 7130e for a modem using BT and my mac...

gabe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2022D44B

Quote Originally Posted by chatster18
    Is it a new BT modual in the Pearl or is it just they have it disabled on the other models? I would love to use my 7130e for a modem using BT and my mac...
    It's new on the Pearl. In fact, you can't even use the BlackBerry for an internet connection over USB on Macs.
    PIN: 2022D44B
    Cingular BB 7290
    my free blog hosting

skimmilk no está en línea Stack level 1

Does anyone know if this rakes up additional fees if I just have BIS on Cingular? My guess is that BT modem data looks like Opera or other 3rd party app data but I just want to make sure before my next road trip.

PIN/ID
    ASK

No additional charges, unless cingular adds an additional fee for tethering.
    it's always greener with the other carrier...

Well, there is a tethering data rate (75/mo)... does this get added on? Is it unrelated? Is it prorated?

PIN/ID
    ASK

Quote Originally Posted by skimmilk
    Well, there is a tethering data rate (75/mo)... does this get added on? Is it unrelated? Is it prorated?
    Is that an addition to the say 49.99 a month for unlimited data access, or is that the option for unlimited data and tethering?

PIN/ID
    ASK

Ok so I just looked at Cingular and from my zip-code it is $79.99 a month for unlimited tethering and data access, that being said if you have just the regular data plan you might not even beable to tether. But to tether you need to pay $79.99 a month, hope that helps!

Thats my point. I AM able to tether and have already used it for about 10 minutes. I only have BIS. Can they charge me extra for this behavior or would it be locked out if they could control it?

PIN/ID
    ASK

Can you look at your bill online? Check and see if there is any additional charges for that time on the tethering...

My friend used his phone (regular LG somthing) and connected online using his cable to his laptop he could get online no charge... So I dont think they can lock it out

No dice. Since I added a phone onto the family plan, I can't see data until the end of the cycle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast