I thought I would throw a post up here as its been a year since ... Macs & MacBooks forum

wclyffe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Arrow From a Blackberry to an iPhone - 1 Year Later!!

Advertisement

I thought I would throw a post up here as its been a year since I left this forum, and this is the best run Blackberry Forum.....anywhere. Hayden is amazing, and the site is elegant to use. I occasionally help friends with their Blackberry/Mac issues because unfortunately, I learned more than I ever planned on trying to sync a BB with a Mac. Simply, its a flawed process, at best. Yes, it can be done, but its pretty limiting and inconsistent. Don't get me wrong, I love Blackberry, but their support of the Mac OS is horrible and they have shown no interest in improving that relationship in the 3 or 4 years I had a Blackberry. So be it.

Yes, I bought an iPhone on 6/29/07, and here are some initial insights after one year of owning it. It is astounding to have EVERYTHING (Calendar, Contacts, Bookmarks, Email, Notes, Music, Movies, TV shows, etc.) on your phone with perfect access and PERFECT SYNCHING...there is nothing like it. I am a .Mac user as well, and soon to be a MobileMe user, so all my email stays in constant sync. As a .Mac user, I now know the feeling users on a BES get in working with their email. If I receive an email on my iphone, or at work or home, all three places stay in perfect sync, all the time.

The processor (620MHz ARM chip) in the iPhone is so utterly fast and floating from email to surfing the web, to using the phone is an extraordinary experience. The biggest feature for me is seeing my email exactly as it was sent, not delivered in a broken text form. With the announcement of the 3G iPhone, I think the game changes even more. There are literally thousands of developers building 3rd party software for the iPhone OS so the options will grow a hundred fold.

The biggest learning curve for me was of course creating and sending an email. At first, I could not type on the virtual keyboard without making a bunch of mistakes. It was really frustrating and took quite awhile to master. I was trying to use my thumbs like on my BB 8700g, but now I use just my index finger and I'm actually faster than I was on my Blackberry. The iPhone learns your vocabulary so after a period of time, its supplying all the words you want with just a letter or two typed...it goes really fast this way.

Lastly, because the phone has Wi-Fi, I am finding that most of the time I am in a Wi-Fi network so the speed of the phone (web surfing) is blazingly fast. It really flies and moving around a page with your finger is so easy and natural compared to operating a click-wheel or a tiny trackball. I can move through tons of pages, pop in on an article, read it, pop out and have many pages loaded at once. Even on Edge, it moves pretty fast. All said, it is an amazing phone with a few things that need attention, but it is a pleasure to carry around and use.

I'm looking forward to the new iPhone and with all the features that are coming like 3G speed, enterprise synching (MobileMe), GPS, and software apps, etc it all just gets better and more fun to use. Good luck to you all for whatever device you choose to carry.

ssnxp no está en línea Device Pro
    Just sold another iPhone yesterday. Everytime I think of getting an iPhone, it has this allure and I just WANT it. Then I get it and realize why I sold/gave it away all the other times. Because it just doesn't work for me.

Internet browsing is nice.. sure. But the way programs run is horrible. Closing out a program just to use another? Are you serious? No copy/paste? No way. No MMS? Oh dear God.

So everyone has their own needs, but for a POWER user, I've stuck with my Blackberry. This is from a guy that's gone through 3 iPhones (5 counting exchanges). It's a nice toy, but it will never take the place of my blackberry.

I usually get frustrated when people bash on the iPhone here, so please don't take this as a "bashing." Just an honest opinion of a person that has also extensively used iPhones. I also have a Macbook, and I love it, so I'm no "Apple Hater." It just comes down to what you need, and if you really use ALL of the features of your Blackberry on a daily basis.. an iPhone won't be enough.

Good review though.

ikasen no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Thanks for a somewhat indepth and interesting review from "the other side". This is what I've been looking for, some good information from two people that give intelligent information without unneccessary unfounded opinions.
    Thanks to both of you!
    Last edited by ikasen; 06-13-2008 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Doh.....

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    was wondering where you ran off to! thanks for the post

don't be such a stranger

daveyboi no está en línea Stack level 3
    Like ssnxp said, in no way am I a iPhone, Apple Hater. Heck I owned an iPhone and I own a MB, and an iMac. I knew the iPhone wasn't for me when I realized I felt like I was pecking at the touchscreen. Or the time I tried to copy parts of a text message!

There are parts of the iPhone I do miss though! It IS A GREAT PHONE MULTIMEDIA TOOL, just not for me.
    Proud owner of a 8700g and a 8320

cabinets no está en línea Stack level 3
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I'm a former iphone user as well. If the bold is delayed too much beyond the new iphone, I may go back. I like it except the lack of keyboard and copy/paste. Otherwise it's ok. Great battery lifr imo.

cabinets no está en línea Stack level 3
    Oh cool. That was my 100th post.

PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by cabinets View Post
    Oh cool. That was my 100th post.
    Congrats cabinets!

Great comments added, and I cannot agree more. The fact that there is no copy/paste is the most frustrating item for me, but I'm hoping to see that with the impending release of 3rd party apps. It cannot be that hard! The rest I can live with.

For those that value your time and do not want to watch the whole WWDC Keynote introducing the new iPhone 3G and Apps, etc....watch this as I think you'll find it informative and funny....and it only takes 60 seconds!

http://www.mahalodaily.com/2008/06/1...in-60-seconds/

daveyboi no está en línea Stack level 3
    My cousin has been at WWDC all week. From what he told me, he wishes he good get a refund on the hour or so of life after sitting there for so long.
    Proud owner of a 8700g and a 8320

I was so ready to go pick up an iPhone 3g on June 9th. I was pretty disappointed that it wasn't released the same day.. I guess that was why I bought my sister a sidekick LX and took her iPhone off her hands. Oh well, she's happy, and I made money so I'm happy! I just don't see much of an improvement in the second gen iPhone. GPS, 3G, and a bigger battery. Most of the improvements are coming from the 2.0 firmware, which will also be available to current iPhone owners.

I say all this now, but I might just get all excited and pick up the iPhone 3G anyways. We'll see

PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by ssnxp View Post
    Just sold another iPhone yesterday. Everytime I think of getting an iPhone, it has this allure and I just WANT it. Then I get it and realize why I sold/gave it away all the other times. Because it just doesn't work for me.
    ssnxp, sounds like you are still in the "undecided" category. You've had more iPhones than anyone I know!! For me, I like the simple fluidity with my calendar & contacts, with no issues in synching, but I hear you on the rest. I desperately want/need copy & paste, and I'd love to have A2DP Bluetooth for stereo output. I'm guessing this stuff will come really fast now that there are so many developers involved. Great review on slashgear.com

Well, I've decided that I'll never let go of my Blackberry.. well at least for now. The decision I need to make is if it's worth it for me to have the iPhone on my other line to "play" with. Honestly, my Curve gets everything done. If you can do it on the iPhone, you can do it on a BB. (Well, except Installer apps). It just looks prettier on the iPhone! lol. But I'll never get the same reaction when I pull out a Curve.. the iPhone is just flashier.

PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by ssnxp View Post
    Well, I've decided that I'll never let go of my Blackberry.. well at least for now. The decision I need to make is if it's worth it for me to have the iPhone on my other line to "play" with. Honestly, my Curve gets everything done. If you can do it on the iPhone, you can do it on a BB. (Well, except Installer apps). It just looks prettier on the iPhone! lol. But I'll never get the same reaction when I pull out a Curve.. the iPhone is just flashier.
    Yeah, no question about it. The OS on the iPhone is like no other and because its an offshoot of OSX, I'm guessing the 3rd party apps will start to look pretty amazing. Once they add in the 4 or 5 items that are missing, it should be great. I could never go back and browse the web on any other phone! Most surprising to me, is that they are going after the corporate/enterprise market. It'll be interesting to see how well Apple does over time.