I am new to BB. 5 years of Treo and now I have an 8830 ... Macs & MacBooks forum

Flag434 no está en línea Stack level 2

Can I use PocketMac and Missing Sync

Advertisement

I am new to BB. 5 years of Treo and now I have an 8830 on Verizon. I have some applictions to download, but I started with Missing Sync because I used it with my Treo. I had absolutely no problem syncing this with iCal and Address Book. However, I cannot download applications at the present with MS. Could I download PocketMac, load the applications and then reload MS and use it for my ongoing solution? Or, is PocketMac a good long term solution?
    Some of the things I have heard about problems with PocketMac have me cautious. Your help please............

jwlussow no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Can I use PocketMac and Missing Sync

Quote Originally Posted by Flag434
    I am new to BB. 5 years of Treo and now I have an 8830 on Verizon. I have some applictions to download, but I started with Missing Sync because I used it with my Treo. I had absolutely no problem syncing this with iCal and Address Book. However, I cannot download applications at the present with MS. Could I download PocketMac, load the applications and then reload MS and use it for my ongoing solution? Or, is PocketMac a good long term solution?
    Some of the things I have heard about problems with PocketMac have me cautious. Your help please............
    When I installed MS I had to uninstall PocketMac. I ended up going back to PocketMac and I had to uninstall MS before PM would install. Total PITA. There are advantages and disadvantages to both programs. Unfortunatly, in my opinion, they both are pretty poor programs. I'm using PocketMac because I can (theorectically) install programs. Never actually got that to work. I haven't synced my BB in months because it only makes me madder that RIM has no interest in my business.

Well, now you have made me mad, too. I want to be happy with my 8830, but I wish they would not just concede the Mac market to the iPhone. BB has a great product

wclyffe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Arrow Re: Can I use PocketMac and Missing Sync

Well, now you have made me mad, too. I want to be happy with my 8830, but I wish they would not just concede the Mac market to the iPhone. BB has a great product
    Yeah, this is a long, ongoing problem with RIM and is exactly why I'm likely giving up my Blackberry to something that will actually sync with a Mac.

Dasher no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21F6D890

Quote Originally Posted by wclyffe
    Yeah, this is a long, ongoing problem with RIM and is exactly why I'm likely giving up my Blackberry to something that will actually sync with a Mac.
    I'm using the Missing Sync to sync my BB 8800 with my Powerbook. I haven't had a problem so far.

I am using Missing Sync to sync with my iMac, also but I am not able to download programs. My question is whether or not I can use Pocket Mac to download my programs then go back to Missing Sync and use it for the future. I would do this because Missing Sync seems to have better performance than Pocket Mac at the present, but it will not download programs.

Nope. I believe the two companies have tried to make sure the programs don't play nice together. As far as I've seen, only one can be installed at a time. To install either you have to first uninstall the other. Real PITA.

My thought was that I would uninstall Missing Sync, install PocketMac download my programs and data, uninstall PocketMac, reinstall Missing Sync and try to live happily ever after. Am I messing with fire or should I leave well enough alone?

My thought was that I would uninstall Missing Sync, install PocketMac download my programs and data, uninstall PocketMac, reinstall Missing Sync and try to live happily ever after. Am I messing with fire or should I leave well enough alone?
    That is what I did. A bit of a pain but it works.

Thanks, I will try that hope I never have to deal with this again. I really appreciate you sharing your experience JW.

wch
    wch no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    ask me

in the long term, the solution seems to be OTA for applications. i gave up on pocketmac after several frustrating days of trying to sync, get apps to work, etc... missing sync seems to be quite reliable and i am holding out hope for a version that downloads aps (not likely given RIM's control-freak attitude on this point...).

you could also do what i did when i was *desperate* for an application... convince a friend to let you host DM on his windows machine so you can download aps when you can't get it any other way...

good luck!
    if you are going to skate on thin ice you may as well dance.

Quote Originally Posted by wch
    in the long term, the solution seems to be OTA for applications. i gave up on pocketmac after several frustrating days of trying to sync, get apps to work, etc... missing sync seems to be quite reliable and i am holding out hope for a version that downloads aps (not likely given RIM's control-freak attitude on this point...).

you could also do what i did when i was *desperate* for an application... convince a friend to let you host DM on his windows machine so you can download aps when you can't get it any other way...

good luck!
    That's what I did......loaded desktop to a friends Windows machine, downloaded two apps and went back to the Mac I love.....

FXgamer no está en línea Stack level 1

I have BlackBerry for about a year now and I had some troubleshooting problems with it as well. I don't know if your problem is listed there but I found a great tech support site that helped me fix it.

Here is the page for BlackBerry Troubleshooting:
    fixya.com/support/p509811-rim_blackberry_8800

Hope it helps

QueenFish75 no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by jwlussow
    Nope. I believe the two companies have tried to make sure the programs don't play nice together. As far as I've seen, only one can be installed at a time. To install either you have to first uninstall the other. Real PITA.
    I have been using Missing Sync and just downloaded and installed PocketMac and it did not make me uninstall Missing Sync. Haven't yet tried syncing through PM, but installed it b/c I can't seem to get certain other things to work on my BB.