Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have a new MBP for the same reasons you do. I noticed the differences ... Macs & MacBooks forum

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Advertisement

I have a new MBP for the same reasons you do. I noticed the differences in time that you had as well when I first loaded systems. I don't remember if it fixed itself or not, but my intent on the purchase was to run the 2 OS side by side, and I love it, as there is no long boot, startup/shutdown process sequences etc. I needed it for the use of Office 2007 Enterprise and Visio 2007 Pro(and I still have it loaded but am trying out Office 2008 just loaded last night so time will tell, but don't think I can give up Outlook). I digress so back to the original problem. I got VMware Fusion on the suggestion of several already using it and those who purchased Parallels and stated they would buy VMware if doing over (personal friends and colleagues conversations and not online reviews, so not as biased as some reviews that have an agenda). After loading VMare, the tools asked me about syncing and keeping the times the same and since then when running concurrent, they are correct (may have to see if they change when dual booting). I would recommend the side by side as with spaces you never have to see the Windows side if you don't want. Also the new VMware 2.0 coming out will be phenominal, running the recently released beta and loving it. Also VMware gives a full thirty day trial and parallels gives a 15 day trial, says a little more about VMware.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by squeakr View Post
    I have a new MBP for the same reasons you do.
    ------
    Thanks squeakr, this is very encouraging and just what I needed to hear. Especially since despite my best efforts to remain focused on a solution I must admit that I was close to throwing in the towel. I'm trying to get this done asap as it's for work and since I travel daily, hauling around two laptops, doing my work & trying to fix this all at the same time is challenging.

Thank you for reading my post carefully & picking up what I said about not wanting to see Windows when working on the Mac side.

I have some questions for you please,

1) Do you notice a slowdown running VMware? And how much ram do you have?
    (I have 2GB)

2) Do you have a rough idea of approx when ver 2.0 may be released?

3) Have you checked to see if the clocks stay in sync? I was not sure after reading your post.

Thanks again for your assistance.....

via: Red BB 8310

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4
    Sorry for the late reply, but I didn't get the subscription notice from the site. First I have no idea when VMware 2.0 will be out, but they have stated that all 1.0 subscribers will get a free upgrade to 2.0. I haven't really noticed a slow down when running side by side, but I only really use the Windows side for certain browsing apps (as my school isn't really jiving with Safari fully at the moment)and the stated apps, which aren't super intensive on the processor. I have each set to run one processor and have designated 1.5GB of memory to the Windows side (I have 4 GB on the machine, I would get some reputable aftermarket ram instead of the Apple stuff, even the Apple reps recommended that. I got 4 GB for around $80 so a good price). As for the other question, I just tried and when booting into Windows directly through BootCamp, the time is still off, but when using VMware while running OS X, the time is syncing corrently. I am also running the latest XP PRO, SP3 just upgraded to it, if that makes a difference.Anything else that I can help on? Hopes this answers some questions. ALso with spaces running and VMware, it is just a control key and one of the arrows to have your Windows in all of its glory and not bothering with cluttering the OS X screens.

Quote Originally Posted by squeakr View Post
    Sorry for the late reply, but I didn't get the subscription notice from the site. .
    -----
    No worries about the late reply, I've had that same experience of not receiving the notification.

Wow! That's a lot of useful info you included in your post. I really appreciate your time & efforts to outline everything you did. I can see where that is a sensible way to deal with the clock issue. Plus I'm so new to Leopard I would not have thought of the advantages you pointed out in spaces. It's that type of application built into Leopard that makes me smile & reinforces the superiority & joy of using OS X.

Kudos for the great post which answered all my questions.

Cheers
    archer
    via: Red BB 8310

ssnxp no está en línea Device Pro
    Stuck deciding between these 3.. Boot camp, Fusion, or Parallels. Anyone want to throw in some input?

It really depends on what you want to do.I researched all three & have used boot camp & fusion. If I know what your goal is I will give you some feedback accordinly. (wap.pinstack.com)~

Thanks for the quick reply Archer. I just wrote up a thread here:

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ad.php?t=76601

Give it a look

Also, thanks for the write up. At this point I really think it's come down to Parallels or VMware..
    Last edited by ssnxp; 06-15-2008 at 10:19 AM.

I tried VMware but it gave me a few issues with the DM. Boot Camp also gave me the clock issue, but I clicked on the "Date and Time" option on OS X and it automatically fixed the time within a few seconds!

dhyde79 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319FB186
    ok, I'm gonna save the headache of reading all of this and simply say "enable network time on both" and quit crying about something that's a simple fix, enable network time from time.apple.com or a timeserver of your choice, the computer boots to OSX, it checks the time via internet, corrects the time and goes on, boots to WinXP, checks the time via internet, corrects the time, and goes on. yes it's a frustration, but, you're complaining because apple tried to give you a dual boot solution and be more accomodating to the "oh my god, my software only functions on Windows" people, it NEVER said it was perfect, just said that you could do it. Please, before posting long rants on the net see if your problem is easily fixed. The network time solution DOES fix it and is an easy one, infact, on my old G3 iBook where the CMOS battery is almost totally dead, on boot the time is wrong, and as soon as it has a network connection it corrects it, life goes on, and if it's REALLY that big of a deal as to what the TIME is, look at your watch, or better yet, your blackberry.
    ----------------------------
    Blackberry Fanatic
    Amateur Photographer/StormShooter
    (PM me for Website/Photo Gallery)

Quote Originally Posted by dhyde79 View Post
    "enable network time on both" .
    .For clarification unless the clock displays the correct day & time your calendar is useless. Since MacBook Pro is a laptop suggesting it's supposed to be mobile & useable without having to be on a network tied down to a desk to keep time. In Apples own words they cannot get airport to stay connected & cannot fix it. Their solution... Refund your money, I admire their honesty about the defects. They even waive the 10% restock fee since it's their fault. Got the check in 5 days, bought a ThinkPad with the same processor, memory, hard drive, graphics, vitually identical. Thrilled to pay $700 less than for the Mac. Loaded WMware with Leopard & XP on the Thinkpad & enjoying the modern touches like three button touchpad, full size keyboard, two hard drives, better battery life & way faster. Thanks Apple!

dhyde79 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319FB186
    once you enable network time, it DOES set the clock to the correct date/time.

beyond that, if syncing calander and all of that is your goal, sync to ical or entourage on the OSX side, when at work, sync to outlook, it keeps info current on both, you don't NEED windows to sync and such, the only thing you're missing that way, is the ability to do OS loads and backup files, which can be done via DM no matter whether the time is accurate or not.

or.....as my wife was so eloquent to point out.....set the timezone on windows to the appropriate timezone to correct the time offset. so that you're not changing the time on the machine but rather changing where the laptop seems to think it is.
    Last edited by dhyde79; 06-17-2008 at 12:42 AM.
    ----------------------------
    Blackberry Fanatic
    Amateur Photographer/StormShooter
    (PM me for Website/Photo Gallery)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12