Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

$600 for something where 95% of its features are overkill? Plus being trapped in a ... Macs & MacBooks forum

tmiguel10 no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: BlackBerry to collect dust come June

Advertisement

$600 for something where 95% of its features are overkill?

Plus being trapped in a 2 year contract?

Plus paying $80+ for a data plan on top of Cell Service?

Plus having to deal with crappy Cingular?

Plus not having 3G support, so internet on Safari will
    be super SLOW

Plus Having a screen that will be so scratch up, you
    wont be able to see anything?

Plus not having enough memory for videos, & other media,

Plus having to deal w/ bugs bugs bugs of initial
    apple products?

Plus knowing that the $600 device will be obsolete
    the second you buy it?

I think I'll stick to my Pearl that I got FREE
    from T-mobile

I already have a 30gb iPod, that I bought
    for $150 so this is pointless.

Smells like the 2nd coming of Newton / PS3- Lots of Hype
    but awful bugs & poor execution.

Apple is starting to drift from its core base...

ajmctaggart no está en línea Stack level 3

tmiguel,

why are the features overkill? If BB came out w/ the option to have real web browsing, bluetooth sync (w/o any clicks on your part) of bookmarks, etc, wouldn't you want it?

who is to say that we couldn't get one unlocked (although i too am doubtful),

and you didn't get a free pearl w/o signing a contract, or already being in your contract and getting the upgrade by extending your contract?

I do agree w/ you on the fact that Cingular does charge a lot, so that's one for you

Doesn't have 3g support, I wonder how hard it was for Jobs to do his demo, probably chose NY Times in Keynote because it loads quickly...

I doubt the screen will scratch man, if there are proximity sensing devices, maybe, just maybe they thought of that? But then again, look at the Nano Black...

Why the HELL wouldn't it have enough memory, you're on a Pearl Bro, you max out at 2GB, IF THAT!

By the way, that Pearl you've got, that thing was bugged to hell when you first got it, don't lie...

Besides, lets just say that you did buy your Pearl, maybe like $399 as opposed to $499 or $599, didn't we all know that the 8800 was coming out that was sooo much better than the Pearl, but we all went and got the Pearl to, even me...

Apple isn't anywhere near leaving their core market, their core market has changed, fundamentals of business...Did anyone ever have a clue the iPod would be what it is? I don't think so, but if you had that, and didn't want to lose it, why wouldn't you develop a phone that is overkill, running your' real OS?

Dont be a hater, just because you already got a Pearl

Comments in CAPS

Quote Originally Posted by ajmctaggart
    tmiguel,

why are the features overkill? If BB came out w/ the option to have real web browsing, bluetooth sync (w/o any clicks on your part) of bookmarks, etc, wouldn't you want it?

I WOULDNT WANT IT FOR $600+

who is to say that we couldn't get one unlocked (although i too am doubtful),

DO YOU HAVE $1200 + LYING AROUND FOR AN UNLOCKED MODEL?

and you didn't get a free pearl w/o signing a contract, or already being in your contract and getting the upgrade by extending your contract?

SO? I STILL GOT THE PHONE FREE. THE IPHONE WOULD PROBABLY
    BE $800+ W/O THE CONTRACT

I do agree w/ you on the fact that Cingular does charge a lot, so that's one for you

Doesn't have 3g support, I wonder how hard it was for Jobs to do his demo, probably chose NY Times in Keynote because it loads quickly...

THE DEMOS ARE ALWAYS FIXED- DONT BELIVE THE HYPE

I doubt the screen will scratch man, if there are proximity sensing devices, maybe, just maybe they thought of that? But then again, look at the Nano Black...

ITS A TOUCH SCREEN- YOU HONESTLY THINK IT WONT SCRATCH IF YOURE TOUCHING IT 24/7

Why the HELL wouldn't it have enough memory, you're on a Pearl Bro, you max out at 2GB, IF THAT!

I ALREADY HAVE A 30GB IPOD TO LISTEN TO MUSIC ON, SO THIS
    IS POINTLESS

By the way, that Pearl you've got, that thing was bugged to hell when you first got it, don't lie...

I GOT IT A FEW MONTHS AFTER IT CAME OUT, SO IT WORKED
    CLEAN AS A WHISTLE

Besides, lets just say that you did buy your Pearl, maybe like $399 as opposed to $499 or $599, didn't we all know that the 8800 was coming out that was sooo much better than the Pearl, but we all went and got the Pearl to, even me...

THATS WHY I WAITED TILL THEY WERE OFFERING FREE PEARLS
    TILL I BOUGHT IT. THE IPHONE WILL ALWAYS BE $600+ CUZ
    APPLE WILL KEEP IT THAT WAY.

Apple isn't anywhere near leaving their core market, their core market has changed, fundamentals of business...Did anyone ever have a clue the iPod would be what it is? I don't think so, but if you had that, and didn't want to lose it, why wouldn't you develop a phone that is overkill, running your' real OS?

Dont be a hater, just because you already got a Pearl

IF YOU HAVE $600 TO BLOW ON THIS, MORE POWER TOO YOU.
    I'D RATHER BUY SOMETHING THAT IS ACTUALLY WORTH $600
    LIKE A USED MACBOOK.

WHILE YOURE AT IT, SINCE YOURE SWIMMING IN MONEY,
    WHY NOT BUY ME A FREE IPHONE, AND MAYBE I'LL SHUT UP

THIS IS THE PS3 2.0- LOTS OF HYPE & PROMISE, BUT AWFUL
    EXECUTION OF THE PRODUCT & TONS OF BUGS.

Pedrobook no está en línea Stack level 1

Sad, sad day for RIM.

Stock dropped 8%

Hasta la pasta, BB. It's not you. Its me. You will always have a place in my heart. Only not on my belt.

Pedrobook no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by Pedrobook
    Sad, sad day for RIM.

Stock dropped 8%

Hasta la pasta, BB. It's not you. Its me. You will always have a place in my heart. Only not on my belt.
    When the PS3 was first announced, Sony's stock rose & Nintendos stock
    fell. Now the WII is wiping the floor w/ the PS3.

What a difference a year makes.

We'll see who has the last laugh.

Dont me get wrong- the iPhone is great for people who
    either dont have a cell phone contract, or dont have an
    iPod & money is no object

Trouble is 90% of the iPhones intended base already have an
    iPod or a cell contract, and dont have a trust fund from
    their rich dad.

I'll enjoy my free pearl w/ a full wallet- you can enjoy your
    iPhone & living on foodstamps ; )

ajmctaggart no está en línea Stack level 3

tmiguel,

I don't think you would call it "swimming in money," but yeah, I like a nice gadget, who doesn't? for once there will be an iPod that accepts inputs, that does everything that a good iPod just shouldn't. The fact is, you have to understand that by waiting until TmO gave you a Pearl for free, and before you let it "work its bugs out..." don't you think your device, and everyone else's is the same?

Yeah the iPhone is expensive, but far, far from a piece...It is beautiful, elegant, simple in looks, kind of phone, that beats the hell out of the competition...If you go to TMo's page right now, and look at their "smartphones" sporting the too popular Windows Mobile, do you see their pricetags? 200-400 bucks, w/ contract.

Now, for me, there is nothing I want more than a BB that does everything I REALLY want it to do, AND sync beautifully with your mac. That is it, I want two devices that work well together. And two that work period.

Am I going to drop my BB and go buy the iPhone, no probably not, but when that digital camera is a little better, the flash memory is a little bigger, and when 3G is supported, yeah, I will. Not because of the price tag, but because it is streamlined and elegant and what I as a Mac User WANT from Apple.

This is far from a Newton, has nothing to do with a PS3 or nintendo...who the hell even cares about the phone feature? Ill have a PDA that works well with Apple Computers...period.

I own 5 macs, the one I'm writing this on is a G3 Lombard, 333 MHz, and it still works well, running OS X; is it a little foolish to spend 6 times the cost on a phone that runs OS X, maybe...but damn, it's one sweet phone...

tmiguel, the Pearl is awesome, but for someone that loves Macs, i feel ima part of Apple's core Market, and this is what I WANT!

gkatmar no está en línea Stack level 2

Will the iphone be able to sync with Outlook?

GadgetProne no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask

I was 13 when I got an Apple 2e. It was Nice at the Time. I just got my very first Laptop at 36. Its Nice too. I got a RIM 850 and 857 when RIM was an Email Pager device. Blackberry has a Jump on the email ability, Apple has the Jump as a Media device.

Both Companies will work relentlessly to combine both. Both Companies have its followers. Both products have their merits......as consumers we now have more choices.............It's great! Let Us enjoy it at our own sweet pace.

Note: What blows me away is...my Apple 2e had 64k...my memory card in my Pearl is 128mb! Don't feel sorry.....my 1gb card is coming next week $22.50 shipping included.

justelise no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    203C9815

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis

And that it was announced, but not ready until June? That's a bit stupid. But hey, gives people time to save money.
    From what I've read there's going to be a bit of a wait time because it hasn't even been approved by the government yet. It's a sweet device but I don't know if I'd shed my blackberry quite yet.
    justelise
    http://itsreallyjustme.net
    Drop by my blog and say hi!
    If you need Gmail, lemme know!

justelise no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    203C9815

Quote Originally Posted by gkatmar
    Will the iphone be able to sync with Outlook?
    You damned Windows users want everything don't you?! Haha j/k. Anyway according to the iPhone site you will be able to sync with both Win and Mac -- considering that all of the Macs can run Windows now I don't see why syncing with Outlook would ever be a problem. This puppy will probably sync with Microsoft's Entourage too (especially considering there is a new version of that coming out at some point). Check it out: http://www.apple.com/iphone/phone/
    justelise
    http://itsreallyjustme.net
    Drop by my blog and say hi!
    If you need Gmail, lemme know!

optserenity no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23DA0DDE

Quote Originally Posted by peguero
    Battery life- Ipods have a history of mediocre battery life, plus a serious issue of not being able to replace them without taking them in to be serviced. (serviced without warrantly no less)
    the actual battery life on ipods is amazing. I'm not sure what you are comparing them to, but most mp3 players cannot even come close. You are correct about replacing them, but I haven't seen too many of mine or my friends' ipods need new batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by optserenity
    the actual battery life on ipods is amazing. I'm not sure what you are comparing them to, but most mp3 players cannot even come close. You are correct about replacing them, but I haven't seen too many of mine or my friends' ipods need new batteries.
    Good for music- bad for Video. The iPhone says it will have only
    5 hours of battery for video/emails/ internet

Yellowfin no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    317F3C36

VZW will never let it on their network. Full OS X is something they can't chop up and hand you back to bits at a time with a price tag on each bit, so no go with the eVil empire.

peguero no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID

WHAT IF......

Apple introduced this as an unlocked device and sold it direct to consumers???

(below I copied some of my comments out of a email exchange I had with some friends....)

"realize what apple did with Pixar studios. They entered an unknown market with an established partner- Disney. Developed some of the most successful animated movies in history (developed great films period) and then told Disney to go screw themselves. LOL

They are testing the waters out entering the market with cingular. Adjustments will be made to improve device and then they will break away. That is IF device is successful. Apparently exclusive distribution contract with Cingular is only for 2 years. More than enough time to improve iPhone and introduce more than enough hardware accessories to connect device to home, car and office.

Im not an apple fanatic, but if it is a better product you just cant ignore it.

"YO STEVE-O CAN WE GET A REMOVABLE BATTERY???- C'MON STEVE...DON'T HATE MAN, REMOVABLE BATTERY MAN"

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast