Hello, Everyone. I am new to the group and am looking for a good but ... BlackBerry Accessories forum

BBGTD no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    204C359C

GPS Receiver for Pearl

Advertisement

Hello, Everyone.

I am new to the group and am looking for a good but affordable GPS receiver to use with BBMaps on my BB Pearl.

Thanks in advance

Jason

EvolutionCSR no está en línea Stack level 5
    Hello BBGTD, and welcome to the Stacks

Its always good idea to check out some reviews before making your purchase here is a link for some reviews:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6460_7-5135545-1.html

PIN/ID
    204C359C
    Thanks, dfx, that is exactly what I am looking for.

BTW, are there any bluetooths that are just not compatible with BB Pearl? Reason I ask is, I have a Plantronics earpiece that the BB never can seem to locate.

Thanks

Jason

EvolutionCSR no está en línea Stack level 5
    I have not myself heard of any that are not compatible.

sunburn no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23D9FB5D
    Stinsonddog has a great writeup on GPS applications and also describes receivers, on his page: http://home.comcast.net/~tamsterra/OP/Blackberry_GPS.htm

I picked my GlobalSat BT359 based primarily on this article, and there's another webpage that describes using BBMaps with a Pearl and this particular GPS receiver. It is quite cheap, at $99 from Cingular; I picked mine up last week and it works with my own 8700g without a problem.

PIN/ID
    204C359C
    Great read. Thanks for the info, guys.

nhenny2007 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Hello Everyone. Glad to see there is such a great place to go for BB info. First post here. Just got a BB Pearl for X-MAS, would like to get a GPS device too. I have been looking at my options as for hardware, but I have one major question that I bet you all can answer quickly. Currently, I do not have a data plan...will I need one for GPS to work? Or can I simply download maps to my microSD card and use BB maps (or some other software) and get GPS to work w/o the data plan? Thanks for your time and help. BTW I love the PEARL!

Thanks,
    nhenny2007

MrGolf no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by nhenny2007
    Hello Everyone. Glad to see there is such a great place to go for BB info. First post here. Just got a BB Pearl for X-MAS, would like to get a GPS device too. I have been looking at my options as for hardware, but I have one major question that I bet you all can answer quickly. Currently, I do not have a data plan...will I need one for GPS to work? Or can I simply download maps to my microSD card and use BB maps (or some other software) and get GPS to work w/o the data plan? Thanks for your time and help. BTW I love the PEARL!

Thanks,
    nhenny2007
    You'll need a data plan. The GPS function of the Pearl isn't capable of reading from the microSD card. The maps are loaded automatically on the Pearl through data transfer only when you need them. They're not stored on the phone or card.

husnain1 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by BBGTD
    Thanks, dfx, that is exactly what I am looking for.

BTW, are there any bluetooths that are just not compatible with BB Pearl? Reason I ask is, I have a Plantronics earpiece that the BB never can seem to locate.

Thanks

Jason
    what kind of plantronics do you have coz mine works fine. As long as bluetooth is supported it should work not a matter of compatibility.

husnain1 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    oh yeah forgot to add, check ebay you can get bluetooth enabled gps receivers for a good price, I got mine for $50.00 (although shipping and handling was $20).

bbdcdude no está en línea Stack level 1
    Is there any GPS software + receiver combo for the Pearl that let you store the maps on the SD card?
    My concern with OTA maps is that, if I am lost in an area with no coverage (ever gotten lost in rural areas before?) the GPS is pretty much useless since you can get your position but no map to guide you. I use Verizon Navigator on my personal phone (BB 8700g is my biz phone) and it works beautifully with that same limit: no coverage, no maps!

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Re: GPS Receiver for Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by husnain1
    what kind of plantronics do you have coz mine works fine. As long as bluetooth is supported it should work not a matter of compatibility.
    You would think so but some Bluetooth devices play better than others and the device you pair it to can make a difference.

pastorshaiem no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: GPS Receiver for Pearl

I have a newbei question. If you already have BB maps on pearl what would be the benifit of having a GPS device paired with it?
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~