I'm not sure to whom I would suggest this to, but I was thinking about ... BlackBerry Accessories forum

lucky13mt no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    N/A

Thumbs down Get what you pay for when it comes to SDCards!

Advertisement

I'm not sure to whom I would suggest this to, but I was thinking about the whole SDCard thing and how if the memory you buy it for says 4gb its actually 3.7 gb.

I realized that we don't really get what we pay for, in a way.

So my idea/suggestion would be that SDCard makers give us our whole 4gb and not partial because of the programming for the card.

What I mean is that if a SDCard is 4gb, instead of wasting space that the consumer can use with the .3gb of programming, make the SDCard 4.3 gb so that the consumer gets what he/she paid for.

Does anyone else agree? I would like to hear everyone else's thoughts on this.
    BlackBerry Rocks!<-Check it out!

jd885 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Ya i hear ya, that makes sense but i figure its just another work around like gas prices being 3.999 with that 3rd 9 on to fool us but it would be nice to get the full 4gb if you buy a 4gb card

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz
    It is that way with Hard Drives and Thumb Drives too. I hate to say it but, I expect it to an extent on all storage that is out there.

PIN/ID
    N/A
    I wonder if there is a way to create a legal petition about this...isn't that sort of false advertisement?

I mean magazines saying '4GB OF MEMORY!!!' you buy it and its only 3.7 gb.

If not then they should say '3.7/4gb Available Storage' or something.
    Last edited by lucky13mt; 06-04-2008 at 11:11 AM.

Hack173 no está en línea banned
    PIN/ID
    249E4D70
    It doesn't bug me! Not one bit. It's so little of a space it's taking up. It's not worth it.

VIA:8320

PIN/ID
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Hack173 View Post
    It doesn't bug me! Not one bit. It's so little of a space it's taking up. It's not worth it.

VIA:8320
    So what will happen once you get to 4gb of memory usage, but you don't have those extra .3gb which could be about 50 songs, or something like that?

Don LuiG no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask
    It really doesnt bother me much all memory devices have the problem i believe so doubt theres much u can do bout it unless for some reason you got the maker to do so. But as technology becomes advance in this area it will become cheaper i remember back a couple of yrs ago 120 megabites on a sony memory stick would run up a good 100 dollars now look where we are 1gig cost less than 20 dollars ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    N/A
    So let me get this straight...Hack173 and Don LuiG...you don't mind that you aren't getting what you PAID for?

Let me tell you, with our economy the way its getting, a few dollars definitely does make a difference.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    I have never understood the reasoning for it either. I would like to get the full capacity of the media card I buy. I probably won't ever fill the card completely but would like the space.

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    You do get what's advertised. The small print says that a "gigabyte" is defined as 1,000,000,000 bytes (10^9), which is correct for the base 10 SI unit. Computers typically use the base 2 unit 1,073,741,824 bytes (2^30). IEC, IEEE, CPIM, and NIST advocate using "gibibyte" rather than "gigabyte" to distinguish between the base 10 and base 2 units.

Some marketing genius at Maxtor decided to use the base-10 SI unit years ago so they could get an edge over their competition in the capacity arena. All other hard drive manufacturers followed suit shortly thereafter. Customers become confused and wondered where their missing bytes went.

It's deceptive, but, technically follows the SI definition.

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53
    It is also a fact that once the device puts its format structure on to what ever media you are working with, the OS uses up some of said space for formating and directory system, there by eating up some of the space. It has been this way since the first hard drives came out.
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

offthahorseceo no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    24A2AD7C
    its not so much programming that it taking u that space. its 2 things,
    1) for marketing purposes 1000 megabytes is 1 gigabyte. 1000 kilobytes are 1 megabyte 1000 bytes are 1 kilo byte
    2)in reality 1024 bytes make up one kilobyte, 1024 kilobytes make up one megabyte, 1024 megabytes make up one gigabyte.

the 4 gig microsd cards are based on the 1000's method, NOT the 1024 method

1000(bytes)*1000(kilobytes)*1000(megabytes)*4(gig)/1024= 3906250bytes

if you follow the 1024 rules and break 3906250 into kilobytes megabytes and gigabytes you will end up with 3.7252903 gigabytes

that is why your cards show 3.7gigs instead of 4.

still its not right, but thats a better explanation of why it is that way

dang it took me so long to type this thing up that other did it first, and better hehe. oh well ill still leave this

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    I agree, everytime I put a 2GB card in a BB, I end up with only 1.8GB, shouldnt I get a rebate of 5% from Sandisk or Kingston?