I just received my Plantronics Voyager 855 and I am blown away by the quality! ... BlackBerry Accessories forum

tweezak no está en línea Stack level 2

Thumbs up Excellent stereo headphone solution for 8820!!

Advertisement

I just received my Plantronics Voyager 855 and I am blown away by the quality! There are several other posts on this headset on Pinstack but I wanted to let people know how well it integrates with the 8820 since the 2.5mm headphone jack is a limiting factor in what headphones can be used with the phone.

Price: I paid $59 at Newegg though the price increased to $76 shortly after I purchased.

I am using the headphones with an 8820 and it pairs and recognizes flawlessly. Above all, stereo audio quality is much better than I expected from a bluetooth connection. I wouldn't consider it on par with high quality corded headphones but the freedom of movement this affords is well worth it.

I'm also more impressed than ever with the 8820. When you have started playing music...you can go back and surf the web or read email or whatever. There is a little slowdown in the response of the phone because the player is taking CPU cycles but that's minor. The cool thing is, from the main screen, you can hit the menu button and a new option is listed: "Now Playing." Pick that and you are taken right back to the player where you can do what you want. Of course, you can always adjust volume, mute, pause, skip forward/back from the headset controls without even touching the phone.

In the player menus, it also detects that the headphone is there. A menu option to toggle from the headset to the handset are available.

Music play is automatically paused when a call comes in and resumes when the call is terminated. Awesome device integration!!

Things I would change:

The extendable boom is kinda pointless. You can answer/hangup just as easily by pressing the main button. Not really a penalty but the overall mass of the device could probably be scaled down even though it is pretty small to begin with.

The woven sheath over the cable makes quite a bit of noise through the earpieces when it rubs against your collar. I don't think there is a way around it for this design. Even if the cord was covered with rubber, just tapping it transfers noise that you can hear. Unfortunate...but definitely not a deal breaker.

When you have both ear plugs in...you can't very well hear yourself talking when you are on the phone. Subsequently, it is a bit difficult to pick the right speaking volume. A design that puts your voice through the headphones would be a plus.

All in all...I'd say this is the perfect solution for people with an 8820 who are sick of looking for a decent set of headphones with a 2.5mm plug for music and don't really want to use an adapter. Realize, however, that these are in-ear headphones and not everyone likes that style.

NOTE!!! When I tried, this headset did not play the audio for videos or movies that I had on my SD card. I was aware this was an issue with stereo bluetooth implementation on the Blackberry so I wasn't surprised. Hopefully this will be fixed with a future software release.

There are also good reviews on CNET along with a video.

Cheers, all!

Oh...an afterthought. One accessory I will be buying for this headset is the USB charging cable since it only comes with an AC charger. The cable and part number is listed in the manual so I'm looking for a cheap source now.
    Last edited by tweezak; 01-11-2008 at 01:13 PM.

miltw3 no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Excellent stereo headphone solution for 8820!!

Great review. Thanks for the info. I've been looking for a good headphone solution for my 8800.

I don't think the 8800 has stereo bluetooth support. If not, you will only get mono through two speakers.

In case you are curious...I just paired the 855 headset with a friend's Verizon 8830 and all features appear to work on that phone as well. Stereo bluetooth and all.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Last edited by tweezak; 01-12-2008 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Typo...had 8300 written instead of 8830...sorry

exciter no está en línea Stack level 3

Thanks for your review and that is good to know. Yesterday I received my MOTOROKR S9's and they are BRILLIANT! My review would be very similar to yours and they work flawlessly as well. I got them from Motorola's website for $119.00 (free shipping) which included a free car charger and a portable charger. The great thing about the portable charger is that it charges the BlackBerry too! Use coupon code PASS_11861 for 15% off. Expires February 4, 2008.

Thumbs up Even Better!!!

I just improved these headphones a TON! The stock silicone ear cushions are too hard for my ears and really start to hurt after a while. I tried one of the cushions from a friend's Sony Fontopia headphones and they were **MUCH** more comfortable! I searched for a cheap place to get them and found a lot of fakes but I ended up getting the real deal here for $8 and free shipping:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...3556&langId=-1

BTW...if the link doesn't work, just go to sonystyle.com and search for "fontopia". Click on any of the headphones that come up and the replacement cushions should be in the right sidebar. The part number is EPEX1 but searching for that doesn't seem to work.

They are AWESOME! I can wear these things for hours now and have no discomfort at all. In addition, the speaker is completely exposed now rather than the sound being piped through a bunch of small holes in the stock silicone cover. Also, since the Sony cushions are smaller and more compliant, you can bed the phones deeper giving better bass. Daft Punk sounds killer now!!!

For me, these were well worth the money.

Cheers all!