Just got the new Sena Magnetflipper case for my 8130. In most ways, it's very ... BlackBerry Accessories forum

powerdog no está en línea Stack level 2

deal killer?

Advertisement

Just got the new Sena Magnetflipper case for my 8130. In most ways, it's very nice. Looks good, fits well, etc.

http://www.senacases.com/Catalog/BLA...ETFLIPPER-CASE

The one problem is that it doesn't put the Pearl to sleep. I figured the magnetic closure would do that, but it has no effect.

I know this is a matter of opinion, but what do you think? Return it, or live with it and just let the phone time itself out?

chatster18 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    This will effect your profiles for ringers...it won't tell the phone that its 'holstered' so it will only activate the ringer and vibrate as if it were just sitting on a table... Make sense? If that's not a problem for you, just keep it ...

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Where in the phone is the magnet? I saw there's one at the bottom of the case's flap...is the magnet at the front bottom of the phone, too?

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax
    Its located at the bottom of the keypad, behind the battery.

Where is the magnet on this case? It sounds like its just a magnet closure, not one designed to put the BB in Holster Mode.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

I heard from someone at Sena. Told me they were told different stories by BB about whether or not the magnet/sleep feature would be included in the 8130. They finally decided to leave the magnet in place, but it's not strong enough to trigger the sleep.

There are 2 magnets at the top of the flap for closure, and one at the bottom of the flap for (non-functional) sleep.

Thought I'd try one of those flexible refrigerator magnets, to see if gluing a piece onto the flap would work. Still not strong enough.

Anyway, Sena offered 20% off for my trouble, but I'll probably just return it.

So a strong enough magnet placed just below the keypad and on the front of the phone should trigger sleep?

I'm bummed. I really like the design and quality of Sena stuff, but this is a major flaw.

saukrateaz no está en línea Stack level 3
    I agree. The fact our devices (can) go to sleep when holstered is a major plus What would be the point of ringer profiles then?
    I say return.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I think you're right...the more I consider it, the less satisfied I am. I did find two alternatives, as well as a Noreve that opens like a book.

I liked the Sena style of flip, because it gets away from your face...but I could live with the flap resting against my head.

Interesting there was no mention from Sena of improving/fixing their case...either keep it at a discount or return it. I think many people will be disappointed, as there's no notice about this problem on the website.

Any thoughts on either of these?

http://www.pdair.com/catalog/product...oducts_id=7147

http://www.noreveusa.com/brand/Black...ther_case.html

FF2
    FF2 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I would suggest NOT going with the Noreve case. I got it for the 8830 but same design.

I've run into a problem similar to what you have now. The flap does not stay in place well. So when I slip it into a pocket or in a daypack (I hike and ski) the flap slides slightly out of "alignment" and the "sleep magnet" disengages and does not work. The phone will then be on or off or just goes to ordinary sleep timeout but then any accidental keypress causes the phone to dial or lightup again.

It needs a strap or rim to keep the flap in one position. I am hoping to hit a craft fair this Spring/Summer and find a leather worker who might be able to retrofit something to fix it.

Thanks for the warning! Is it because there's too much slack in the leather "hinge" at the top, or it's too flimsy, or just not enough magnet to hold the flap in place?

Maybe the other one I linked to is better, as it has a snap to help align the flap.

Also, I wonder if there's a list anywhere of cases designed to activate the sleep function. They seem pretty scarce.

FF2
    I guess the Noreve has TWO magnets. One is for the sleep function and the other holds the flap. The FLAP magnet probably is not strong enough so the flap can slide up or down just enough that the SLEEP magnet moves and winds up in the wrong position.

I have thought of adding snaps or velcro to hold the flap in place.

Since the other one you linked closes from the side, it MAY not allow the UP/DOWN slipping that moves the sleep magnet out of alignment.
    While I assume there might be some play, it might stay in place or proper horizontal alignment.

Check their return policies and check it out immediately. I did not realize this defect when I first got the Noreve and while it was not really scuffed, I did not think that I could return it. I did send them an email complaining about the fault and the US-distributor said they would notify Noreve and that's the last I heard. I probably should follow up with Noreve, themselves. While keylock can avoid accidental keypresses, the unit still turns on/off when the flap moves.

I have now gone for the ottercase, which is very different. And use the 8830 mute button to put it in standby mode.

Thanks. Two more questions:

Do you think more gentle use -- resting it in a shirt or pants pocket while walking in a city, say -- would allow the flap to work better?

Did the Noreve come with any sort of screen protector or plastic window?

FF2
    I purchased a separate screen protector. The noreve does NOT have anything covering the screen other than the flap.

I don't think the flap will stay in place without some change in design. I mean, laying it on a surface would work but if it moves around, the flap will easily change position disengaging the magnet - at least, I think so using mine as an example - maybe I have a weak flap magnet but I don't think so.

Just one man's opinion - I really wanted to like this case.

I wonder if there's a difference between the one for your BB and the one for mine, an 8130. I really wanted to like it, too!

I'm starting to think that you choose the flaws you can live with, knowing none of them is perfect. Also, for me the sleep function is a must, which eliminates 90 percent of all cases.