Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I started with a Sena Magnetflipper that was supposed to trigger sleep, but then they ... BlackBerry Accessories forum

powerdog no está en línea Stack level 2

3rd party cases don't trigger sleep!

Advertisement

I started with a Sena Magnetflipper that was supposed to trigger sleep, but then they told me the sleep magnet wasn't strong enough to work.

Spoke to Noreve about the problem mentioned here with a weak flap closure. They assured me it wouldn't be a problem after the leather had stretched a bit over the phone (8130). But the big surprise....their sleeper magnet doesn't work either.

I'm starting to think that the sleep function is only available with the original BB case, which is a problem because you need two hands to remove the phone and that's not always possible.

Making the best of the situation, I decided to keep one of the cases, set out-of-holster notifications to the same as in-holster notifications, and let it go to sleep after 5 or 10 seconds of inactivity. Still, a bummer.

That BB holster must have quite a powerful magnet!

curve247 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Try using a Seidio holster. I use one for my 8830 and the sleep function works great. There are Seidio products available in the pinstack store. Hope that helps.
    "T-Dub"
    T- Mo: BB 9700, 8900, 8220
    Sprint: BB 8330, 8830, 8130, 8703, 7250

But there's a beautiful view of the end of the world from the pier.....

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax
    The problem is more likely the store rep selling you the accessory. Just because a case has a "magnet closure" doesn't mean its going to work with the BB to activate sleep mode. I've seen a lot of reps at those "accessory wagons" in the malls try to tell people that a run-of-the-mill-$2-made-in-china case will work with a BB just because there is a magnet glued to the closure. Not gonna happen.

The BB needs to have the magnet in close proximity to a certain location on the phone (near the bottom of the keypad). If its not there, no sleep mode. This is to help prevent your phone's sleep mode activating just because you wandered near another device with a magnet.

Make sure the case you're buying is specifically designed for the model phone you have, and indicates that it activates sleep mode.

The only brands I'm aware of (although I'm sure there are others) are the OEM RIM cases and the Seidio cases that Curve mentioned.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

I think that both Sena and Noreve are pretty reputable companies, and it was their CSRs who told me the cases would work. Sena has recently removed the sleep claim from their website, but Noreve still claims it works.

Both have magnets for closure and a middle magnet for sleep, but they're not functional.

I'll check out Seidio, but I really don't want a holster. I want a case that protects it on all sides from scratches and impacts, and fits in my pocket.

cgaliffi no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22D95A46
    Ditto on the Seidio holster. My 8130 went to sleep as I slid it into the holster.

So what you're saying is that the only 3rd party option is a holster? That's too bad. Not what I want. I'll probably keep the Noreve in spite of the phone's insomnia.

FF2
    FF2 no está en línea Stack level 2
    So you gave the Noreve a shot! After reading the above, I just played a bit (but my testing is currently compromised since my 8830 in inside an Otterbox case).

I originally played with the same maget about a month ago.

I have a pretty good magnet (ceramic) and it can turn off (sleep) my BB when held either in front OR BACK of the unit in the vicinity of the space bar. I just tried using a piece of magnet labeling "tape" which I got to label my tool chest. It was NOT strong enough through the otterbox (I don't want to take it out).

The Noreve case would work if the flap did not slip around allowing the magnet to move out of position. I was thinking that placing the magnet in the back of the case would avoid using the flap. I will check some hardware stores for THIN strong magnets.

Stretching the case or softening the leather will not help since the flap moves too easily. It does have more than one magnet - one kind of keeps it closed and the other induces the sleep function.
    Last edited by FF2; 03-26-2008 at 02:39 AM.

I find that the Noreve flap doesn't move around much at all. Maybe I got lucky with my closure magnets, but I can actually hold the case and phone horizontally by the closed flap alone.

And even if I perfectly center the flap, the sleep magnet does nothing.

I guess one option, if you didn't mind destroying the standard BB holster, would be to dig the magnet out and mount that on another case. But that's pretty extreme.

The one thing I really liked about holster sleep was the vibrate alarm for emails. But since I'm either using the phone or have it in the case, I guess there's not much diff in simply having email alerts always done by vibrate.

What bothers me a little more, though, is that the website promises 3-hour reply on emails, and it's been 2 days with no response.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Be aware that the Case-Mate leather combos do not have the sleep function built into them if any of you are going in that direction. They're very nice leather but they don't have it.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

My theory is still that if you want anything but a holster, you can't have sleep. Whether it's intentional or poor design.

glenbrgss no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    218EFC5B
    I use a Speck Holster Pro for my curve, and it triggers sleep mode every time I put it in my holster, I saw on their website that they have 2 holsters for the Pearl. Check it out. Not 100% positive it will trigger sleep mode for your Pearl, as I've never tested this product, but its possible since it works well for my Curve.

www.speckproducts.com

Hope this helps!!!
    If I knew then, what I know now............

glen3918@gmail.com

No! As I've said, I do NOT want a holster! I want a flip case to put in my pocket, like this one:

http://www.noreveusa.com/brand/Black...ther_case.html

The other thing I want is for claims like item #11 under "characteristics" to be true!!

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Kinda pricey, but looks nice and supposedly initiates the sleep function.

http://www.blackberryden.com/pf8300.html

yogensha no está en línea Stack level 1
    I'm bumping this to see if anybody has any updates.

I pre-ordered one of the Sena flip cases back in January and when I finally got it in mid-March, I was very upset to discover that the sleep function didn't work. I reported it to Sena and got the response:

We apologize for the inconvenience. When we first designed the cases, we included a small magnet for the BlackBerry sleeper function (like the Pearl 8100). However, we were informed by the 8130 carriers (such as Verizon, Cingular, etc.) that the 8130 did not include the sleeper function. We decided to leave the small magnet in the case as it was. Unfortunately, we mistakenly left "compatible with BlackBerry sleeper function" on our website.
    The "compatable with BlackBerry sleeper function" disappeared from their web site shortly thereafter, as the OP mentioned. Sena was quite gracious and refunded the purchase price, less shipping, though they paid for the return shipping.

I just stumbled on the Noreve product and was wondering if anybody else has had any luck with it? I've emailed Noreve directly but I'm curious if anybody else has experience with the Noreve product.

markgallant no está en línea Stack level 3
    http://www.shopblackberry.com/_black...53W8RGDZHGB3A4

This is what I have for my device and it works great

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast