This is kinda scary... I use Desktop Manager 4.2.2 to sync my Pearl with Yahoo ... RIM Desktop Software forum

NickAC no está en línea Stack level 3

Yahoo sync - wrong account!

Advertisement

This is kinda scary... I use Desktop Manager 4.2.2 to sync my Pearl with Yahoo for Calendar, Tasks, and Memopad. Recently, my daughter logged onto Yahoo with her account (she put it in the "remember me" mode).

When I synced recently, I found that my Tasks and Notepad synced with HER account!! I double checked the synchronize settings. It's set to clearly sync with my account - complete with my userID and password. So how could that get bypassed? It didn't do this with Calendar.

It's not syncing with mine right now because it's going to hers. I'm guessing if I log her completely out, it may go to mine again. I haven't tested that yet.

But it's scary that my information can go to someone else's account when I've clearly identified my account and password to the sync settings.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Yahoo sync - wrong account!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I'm gonna guess yahoo isn't asking for the info like account and password because someone is already logged in.

Thanks for the fast reply. Yahoo may not ask, but DM has to know which account to sync the information with. As I said, in the sync settings it clearly asks for a userID and password. Even if Yahoo doesn't care, how does DM know which account to sync with, and why did it sync with hers instead of mine?

I just tested by having her log out completely, and it synced with mine. So again, I'm not sure how it even knows about her account in the first place. Shouldn't it only go by what I put in the sync settings and not by searching my browser's history?

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

It isn't looking in your browser's history. It is looking at the cookie that was placed on your computer when your daughter logged in. Yahoo may be overriding what DM is telling it to do since there is a cookie to automatically log her in on that comp. I would have her create a new profile on your computer if she is going to use it (new log-in on windows not on yahoo) and have her log in to her yahoo account from her own profile instead of yours. That may alleviate further issues.

You are correct in that being scary. That means that we need to make sure who was logged into our computer last on yahoo before syncing up or someone who shouldn't be getting info that doesn't belong to them might.

Zo

Yup. I think it's an oversight on both RIM and Yahoo: The whole purpose of putting one's userID and password into the sync settings of DM is to tell it which account to sync with. It seems to work okay for Calendar as I said - my BB's calendar didn't get synced with my daughter's Yahoo account.

Regarding workaround - either creating a whole new Windows profile or just having her log out each time seems to do the trick. But I may ditch syncing with Yahoo entirely for Tasks and Memopad!