I set all my contacts on my blackberry to a category, either work or personal. ... RIM Desktop Software forum

jusMikeP no está en línea Stack level 3

Using categories in outlook

Advertisement

I set all my contacts on my blackberry to a category, either work or personal. In Outlook, when I click categories it only gives me the option to assign colors as categories. Surely there has to be a way to sync categories between my blackberry and Outlook so that I can view only my work contacts in Outlook. I am using Outlook 2007 by the way. Does anyone know how to accomplish this?

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    on your blackberry in your address book there is a filter option that allows you to select the category
    Looking for Wallpapers or Icons for making themes? I can help!

Truth + Clarity = Power

If you are going to take the time to respond... take the time to actually understand that to which you are responding.

I found that and have set all my personal contacts to "personal" and all my work contacts to "work", my issue is repeating this functionality in Outlook. Please re-read my post.

PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Are you on a BES server

Truth + Clarity = Power

If you are going to take the time to respond... take the time to actually understand that to which you are responding.

Yes

PIN/ID
    Huh?
    if you made all the changes to your address book on your bb then the changes will be made to your outlook. This proccess can take up to twelve hours to do so.

Truth + Clarity = Power

Let me just reiterate because maybe I'm not explaining what I'm trying to do correctly. I figured out how to set all of my contacts on my blackberry to either work or personal, which I have done. And my contacts are all syncing as they should with Outlook. But I would like to filter my contacts in Outlook to only view "work" contacts. I don't see this as an option. It looks to me like Outlook categorizes contacts by color whereas the blackberry organizes them by "work", "personal", or "family". So how can I make Outlook show my "work" contacts.

Ultimately, in the end I'd like to have Outlook only sync work contacts and use yahoo to sync my personal contacts. But I'd be a lot happier in the mean time if I could just get Outlook to recognize my Blackberry categories (work, personal) so that I can can view only work.

I hope that makes more sense. Thanks for the help so far.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffallen8 View Post
    if you made all the changes to your address book on your bb then the changes will be made to your outlook. This proccess can take up to twelve hours to do so.
    I made these changes days ago. The problem is I don't see work or personal categories in Outlook. I only see "color" categories, which is useless because blackberry does not allow you to assign color categories, or not that I can see.

PIN/ID
    Huh?
    I got you now, Let me look into it and report back we use 2003 at my work so let me play with 07

Truth + Clarity = Power

Ok, I'm an idiot... Outlook did create a category named "personal" where all of my personal contacts are listed. I can easily just collapse that categorie to hind my personal contacts.

It would still be nice to be able to make these changes in Outlook, it's a little cumbersome to do on my blackberry. So if you know how to assign a contact to a work or personal category in Outlook I'd appreciate the help. I still only see "colors" as category options in Outlook.

PIN/ID
    Huh?
    read this:

Changes in Outlook 2007

E-mail: Categories
    Description:
    In previous versions of Outlook, categories could arrive on incoming mail and were automatically reapplied on replies and forwards to categorized mail. Categories are no longer assigned to incoming mail, and are not automatically reassigned to replies and forwards.

Reason for change: The new Colored Categories feature makes categories visually louder. Most users do not want to receive categorized mail, which they perceive as spam.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc179110.aspx

Truth + Clarity = Power

Ok I figured it out. If you create a category in Outlook, it asks to to pick a color (which you can also later change), but you can also give it a name.. you don't have to use "blue" or "green" as the name of your category. So I created a red category and renamed it to "work" and applied it to all my work contacts. A few minutes later the changes are reflected on my blackberry. So when I go into a contacts details it shows up as "work" or whatever I named the categorie in Outlook. So even though my blackberry doesn't give me the option to create whatever name I want for a categorie you can do this in Outlook, and the blackberry will show that category name and sort by that category name. Pretty neat, just a little confusing.

Now, if I can tell Outlook to only sync work contacts and yahoo to only sync personal contacts I'll be in heaven.