We have a user base of 800+ Blackberry's - world wide. We are going to ... RIM Desktop Software forum

Brook no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    32AB57E5

Question To load Desktop Manager or not ???

Advertisement

We have a user base of 800+ Blackberry's - world wide. We are going to migrate to BES 4.1 from BES 2.2. We use Lotus Notes for our email, address book, calendar, etc.

Currently all our PC's have some version of the Desktop Manager installed. We are trying to decide why we should replace the Desktop Manager software with the latest version when we move users to the new BES. Do we even need the Desktop Manager software on the PC's going forward.

1. Application Loader - We do not allow users to install their own apps onto the Blackberry's. But to load any new handheld firmware we would need it.

2. Intellisync - won't be needed any more since the Address Book and Journal will now be wireless.

3. Backup and Restore - - might be needed if someone wants to swap units.

How many companies with large numbers of Blackberry's keep the Desktop Manager software ?

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Re: To load Desktop Manager or not ???

I think Back up is important. I do it regularly. I know that the large bank I work for offers Desktop Manager for Blackberry users.

I personally have avoided getting a work BB (don't want to tote 2), but the person I replaced had one and had DM on her PC.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

I think Desktop Manager should be used for the following reasons:

1) You will need Application Loader to do some installing, especially the Operating System since this needs to be updated/wiped/reloaded.

2) I am not familiar with BES and wireless synching.

3) Backup/restore is very important since a BB may decide to quit one day and not be usable. That way anything on the old device can be reloaded onto a new unit.
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 06-15-2006 at 05:16 AM.

wibbly no está en línea Stack level 3

IIRC the later BES's from 4.0 do a backup of at least the user's config too (but won't restore stored mail on the BB).

BB device manager can be installed to allow GPRS bypass whilst the BB is connected (useful if in-building coverage is poor, or you pay by the KB, or you want fast device activation). I think device activation doesn't require sending the user a code if the device is cradled with device manager running. If you want the BB to charge from the USB port, you may also find you need the device manager installed so the drivers are there which are most often required to get the PC to power up the USB connection to a BB.

I think you'll need desktop manager if you ever expect users to do a OS upgrade from their desks at some point, or you'll need to collect 800 BB's yourself and do them yourselves when/if the time comes... I don't think OS upgrades can be dome OTA, though most other things can.

Destop manager uses/requires Device manager, but they are different apps. You can install just Device manager, as far as I know.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

You are correct. OS upgrades cannot be performed OTA.

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

The company I work for is a division of Rogers. We not only have thousands of BB users throughout all the different groups, one of the groups is also the wireless provider.

Everyone with a BB has desktop manager. We aren't restricted at all over what we can do with DM, but there is some type of security key thing which is generated when DM is running and the BB is connected. Occasionally, the key needs to be updated, or email is not pushed and nothing is sync'd. But that is likely the only policy we have.

However, your point is well noted: with BES 4.x, email & calendar & notes & address book are all sync'd ota, so really, there is much less need for DM. If the BB's are locked out from app loading, what is there to backup? It's all on the mail server within seconds.

With my company's security key policy, I really only plug in my BB to my PC about once every six months to update the key.

xaurav no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    20374F8B

desktop manager works well but some feature are not there , and some problems are also ther , like , not giving screenshot option, force removal<i guess>, also the gui interface i didnt like much , also it doesnt provide, image transfer and ringtone transfer , must b loaded with , some kind of datd keeping option, as functions i rate it as 5/10