I have a customer that is interested in betting a blackberry but wants to sync ... RIM Desktop Software forum

drspiff no está en línea Stack level 2

SYNC with ACT

Advertisement

I have a customer that is interested in betting a blackberry but wants to sync it with ACT on his PC...can anyone help me with this I would greatly appreciate it

fredbrown@att-premier.com
    pin: 248de405

Thank you
    I do what I can...

ice44 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by drspiff View Post
    I have a customer that is interested in betting a blackberry but wants to sync it with ACT on his PC...can anyone help me with this I would greatly appreciate it

fredbrown@att-premier.com
    pin: 248de405

Thank you
    Isnt ACT just a 3rd party APP that plugs in with Outlook ? It has it's own database correct ?
    The young man knows the rules, and the old man will enforce them!

It has its own database...
    I do what I can...

ice44 no está en línea Stack level 5
    The young man knows the rules, and the old man will enforce them!

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    ACT is a stand alone PC application that has it's own database for your contacts, history, notes, sales tracking, calendar etc. I used it for 7 years, was a huge advocate, but once I decided to use a handheld device to sync my contacts the problems began. In addition the change in ownership created issues as the file formats were changed by Symantec, and then again by Sage, which rendered them incompatible with certain earlier versions of ACT.

If the PC Act is running on, has MS Office installed then Act will interface with Outlook even though the user may not use Outlook. It's a very cumbersome arrangement. It can be very bug ridden, and in general the interface with anything other than a Palm is not very reliable. I know as I started with ACT which was originally created by Contact Mgmt International. Then was bought out by Symantec who kept if for a few years, then it bounced around between a few different companies. Currently it's owned by Sage Software.

Act has always included a conduit for the Palm platform but nothing else. Once there was enough demand then a variety of third party developers began offering customized solutions, one of which is now called "Handheld Contact for BlackBerry". Essentially the same as the Palm conduit in terms of functionality, its' sold separately for a few hundred dollars. Before you embark on this project you may want to consult with someone who is familiar with the current status of these two products, as I gave it up a couple of years ago, due to the poor tech support and terrible reliability issues.

Here are some links that will provide the information you need.

Act by Sage 2009
    Handheld Contact for BlackBerry

Thank you all for your help...I hope this helps my customer!! Feel free to add more comments if any new information
    I do what I can...

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Thank you all for your help...I hope this helps my customer!! Feel free to add more comments if any new information
    You are very welcome.