A while back I upgraded from DM 4.7 to 5.0 and chose "typical" install. This ... RIM Desktop Software forum

mlnorman no está en línea Stack level 1

Stop DM 4.7 from auto updating

Advertisement

A while back I upgraded from DM 4.7 to 5.0 and chose "typical" install. This activated DM's auto update, which came up each time I started 5.0. There were other things about 5.0 I didn't like (it failed to back up profiles) so I decided to roll back to 4.7. I did a clean uninstall. And I made sure when I rolled back that I unchecked auto update in the install, but 4.7 installed with auto update anyway. Tried add/remove/modify. No luck. It wanted an .msi file, which was not on my HD. Downloaded another install file, changed the .exe to .zip, extracted the .msi, did "modify" again from add/remove, made sure to pick "custom" and Xed out both update options, including unchecking the update box. Didn't work. DM still auto updates on startup. Tried another clean uninstall, deleting registry keys following the KB instructions on RIM's website. Reinstalled. Still got the auto update on DM startup.

There's got to be a registry key(s) that are invoking the update function of each version of DM I try to install, not matter what cleanup/reinstall procedure I use. I suppose I could use JV Power Tools to scrub the WIN directory of all entries for Blackberry or RIM, but that seems drastic and a little risky. Anyone know the registry keys that control DM auto update. I found one here HKCU\software\research in motion\blackberry auto update\ and changed the value of EnableAutoChecking to 0, but it didn't work. Stumped.

paulypaul no está en línea Stack level 3
    I see you ran into the same problem I got in v5.0.1. The auto-sync stopped working in Vista. I just posted a thread about that issue.

but why would you roll all the way back to v4.7.

I am going to give myself a week or two to sort out my problems with v5.0.1. If all else fails I will go back to v5. not all the way back to v4.7, v5 was solid.

I rolled back to 4.7 because 5.0 would not backup the device. I kept getting an error with [profiles], a common error since 5.0, according to many posts on the subject in other forums. 4.7 seems to be the most stable software. A bit slow syncing, but it backs up without a problem.

paulypaul no está en línea Stack level 3
    interesting.
    I found v5.0.0 to be solid as a rock. I regret rolling up to the next version.

I'm still trying to stop 4.7 from auto-updating. Nothing works. Tried all the procedures for clean uninstall, missing .msi file, everything. I'm sure there's a registry entry or two that controls this, but I can't find the right key to delete or the right data value to change.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Try using the Microsoft Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to get rid of anything related to a DM install. I'm assuming this could also fix whatever registry entries you might be missing or overlooking.

So you're suggesting...1. Uninstall the Opsys on the HD. 2. Another clean uninstall (KB02206) of DM. 3. Then run MS Windows Installer Cleanup? When you say the utility will "fix" those RIM registry entries, you mean it should delete those keys, right?

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    I don't know the inner workings of the utility, but I am assuming that yes, it should delete the registry keys to remove any trace of that particular installation.

I don't have personal experience with this for any RIM products, but I was having a heck of a time installing some HP printer software until I used this utility.