I'm not too impressed with how the BIS is delivering email. Most messages are 30 ... RIM Desktop Software forum

emomoney no está en línea Stack level 2

Redirector v BIS

Advertisement

I'm not too impressed with how the BIS is delivering email. Most messages are 30 minutes delayed and some I don't even get at all. Does anybody have any opinion on which is the better option?

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Redirector v BIS

First, you should be receiving your emails within 15 minutes of it arriving in your inbox. It should be highly improbable for it to take more than that on a regular basis. Also remember that the time indicated within the email is the time it was sent by the sender - not when it arrived in your inbox, and on your BlackBerry the time indicated in your Messages list is the time it arrived on your BlackBerry. There may be other things delaying emails from arriving in your Inbox, and you may not even be able to determine the time it arrived if you use, for example, only Yahoo Mail's Web interface. Outlook Express WILL give you the time the message arrived in your Inbox, as probably most email clients will.

That said, I get amazing performance with BIS using GMail! I have a setup where a home computer emails me whenever I get a phone call, and the message has a time stamp of when the call arrived. I seldom get an email more than a minute after the call arrived, and it's not unusual for it to arrive with the arrival time stamp matching the time the call came in!

That said, if you have an economic reason for requiring email be delivered to your BlackBerry within moments of it arriving in your Inbox, then BlackBerry Enterprise Service is your only option for reliable delivery. I would NOT depend on using the Redirector running on a computer! If you don't have a company BES, you can get Hosted BES service. Check the BB Marketplace Forums for providers.
    Last edited by jdellasala; 12-05-2007 at 08:34 AM.
    JerryD

emomoney no está en línea Stack level 2

I guess I need to understand how BIS actually works. Does it just check your ISP mail server periodically, and if so how often, 5 minutes, 10 minutes? So if I am not leaving messages on the server in Outlook, that would explain why I am not receiving some email. Outlook is downloading them before BIS can grab it from the server. I just changed the option in Outlook to keep messages on the server.

A co-worker of mine also stated he receives his gmail instantly as well, I just don't use gmail as my primary address. I created a @vzw.blackberry.net account an I receive those instantly. We'll see if making that change in Outlook helps.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

correct BIS only polls most mail servers every 15 minutes, with the exception of Gmail and Yahoo (not sure what others). If Outlook is downloading the message and not leaving it on the server then BIS would not see it if it doesn't check for another few minutes.

jonbw no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    31837B64

Is it possible to get email or have it checked while you are on a call? Gmail is what I am referring to.
    Thanks.........

PittsDriver no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by cliffr39 View Post
    correct BIS only polls most mail servers every 15 minutes, with the exception of Gmail and Yahoo (not sure what others). If Outlook is downloading the message and not leaving it on the server then BIS would not see it if it doesn't check for another few minutes.

incorrect. Both BES and BIS will push up to 10 email accounts. There is no blackberry server that "pulls" email. I get my business email and 2 seperate personal emails the second they drop into my inbox....

If you arent getting them within a few min there might be blackberry service problems in your area. try resending service books or deleting and readding your email accounts.

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Just to clarify, you can have only one BES account. You can have up to 10 BIS accounts with or without BES, so a possible 11 email accounts on the BlackBerry in total.
    JerryD