Ok, something happened today that I have not encountered yet. I made a new theme ... RIM Desktop Software forum

Zbats no está en línea Stack level 3

Question Problem installing theme... DM wants to downgrade my apps

Advertisement

Ok, something happened today that I have not encountered yet. I made a new theme for myself, and when I went to install the new theme via the DM, when the list of apps came up, it had two of my most used apps listed as "downgrade." I did not continue with the installation of the theme because I did not want the two third party apps to downgrade to older versions. (Hope that made sense.) When I try to back up, it get an error almost immediately. I know for sure that one of the app upgrades was ota, so I don't have a way to re-install that newer version. How do I get the DM not to downgrade those two apps?

jrhorner71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    @5K
    first try a switch devices and when it gets to the point where it asks you for the new device open windows explorer. go to C:\Documents and Settings\jrhorner71\Local Settings\Temp\<pin number; where pin number is a folder by the name of your device pin, and copy that folder to your documents. Then go back to device manager and hit cancel and exit out of the desktop manager. now go to the folder you just copied and you'll see an alx file and should see your 3rd party apps listed there if they are your good to go. next stp is to go ahead and restart desktop manager and do the upload when get to where it allows you to add extra programs click add and then look for the alx you just saved to my documents and it should then reload the 3rd party apps and show as nothing, no upgrade or downgrade.
    hope it helps if you need any further help pm me and i'll try to explain better.

pniko_07 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    stack
    Can you uncheck the apps that say downgrade? If you can, nothing should happen to those apps.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

When I removed the checks from the two that said downgrade, it changed them from downgrade to remove...
    I'm going to try jr's instructions when I have some more time to devote to it...

pniko_07 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    stack
    Good deal. Keep us posted.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    All you need to do is move the old versions of the apps that are on your computer to a different folder so the DM won't know where they are and it won't try to downgrade

PIN/ID
    @5K
    good call az. i was just assuming it was another 3rd party app other than documents to go.

For docs to go the easiest way to stop the DM from downgrading is to remove the .alx for it. But any time you initially install an app via DM then upgrade it OTA the DM will try to downgrade it to match what is on the computer.

When you install an app via DM first you "browse" to the app location so the DM knows where it is. So by later moving that app to another folder the DM no longer knows that version exists so it leaves the upgraded version on the BB alone. Make sense?

PIN/ID
    @5K
    yep yep. hope that will help him in the future. i know i like to create an apps folder inside the os files to hide it in.

Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    All you need to do is move the old versions of the apps that are on your computer to a different folder so the DM won't know where they are and it won't try to downgrade

Ok, so I am thinking that I go to my computer, etc ... and find those files and then just delete or move them? I was able to find the email for the OTA download, so I was thinking of letting it downgrade, then just re-installing the newer versions... (It is Alarms Smart and Blackberry Alerts that I am not wanting to lose.) But it seems like finding these files and moving them would be the easier option?

Yes, that would be easiest otherwise you will continue to run into this issue. I have a folder on my desktop for all apps I have installed via my computer. It makes it easier to find and remove/replace them in cases like this.

A BIG thank you to everyone who answered!! I deleted the files for the two programs from my laptop (have them saved on a flash drive) and then the theme installed with no problems at all. My version of Hello Kitty now resides very happily on my Bloo Berry!! (Yes, that's what I call my phone!)

PIN/ID
    @5K
    Good to hear it worked. Just remember to save them files from time to time.

PIN/ID
    @5K
    Az on another tip for dm 4.7 is there a way to shut off it wanting to install previous versions of the os

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava
    ^^Uninstall previous versions of any OS from PC using add/remove programs and DM won't try to install.
    Although normally it shouldn't, it will usually install the upgraded version.