Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sort of like video killed the radio star? Actually, killed is an overstatement. I recently ... RIM Desktop Software forum

wrtgirl no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23CF680E

Question Outlook killed my BB

Advertisement

Sort of like video killed the radio star?

Actually, killed is an overstatement.
    I recently upgraded to Outlook 2003. When I upgraded, my BB sync'd once (with Intellisync) just fine, but then it stopped syncing.
    I went in an reset the Intellisync settings to factory default so that I could customize them again, only to discover it won't let me.
    Factory default is sync'ing nothing. When I tried to tell it to look at my Outlook address book file, I got this error:
    "File or database name associated with MS Outlook is missing, invalid, or points to a file with zero length. Please use the Browse button to locate the correct file."

That's all great, but the Browse button is greyed out and won't let me use it!

Argh! Please help, as I've been fighting with this for days. I've searched these forums, the BB Knowledge Base, Google, and other places with no luck.

Any thoughts?

- Shel

As an update, I was suddenly able to get the Address book to work, which is useful, but it would be nice to get the Calendar, Tasks, and Memos in sync as well.
    Last edited by wrtgirl; 06-29-2006 at 11:51 AM.

TechieGirl no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: Outlook killed my BB

Quote Originally Posted by wrtgirl
    Sort of like video killed the radio star?

Actually, killed is an overstatement.
    I recently upgraded to Outlook 2003. When I upgraded, my BB sync'd once (with Intellisync) just fine, but then it stopped syncing.
    I went in an reset the Intellisync settings to factory default so that I could customize them again, only to discover it won't let me.
    Factory default is sync'ing nothing. When I tried to tell it to look at my Outlook address book file, I got this error:
    "File or database name associated with MS Outlook is missing, invalid, or points to a file with zero length. Please use the Browse button to locate the correct file."

That's all great, but the Browse button is greyed out and won't let me use it!

Argh! Please help, as I've been fighting with this for days. I've searched these forums, the BB Knowledge Base, Google, and other places with no luck.

Any thoughts?

- Shel

As an update, I was suddenly able to get the Address book to work, which is useful, but it would be nice to get the Calendar, Tasks, and Memos in sync as well.
    May be a corrupt Mapi profile. If you know how to create a new one, create a new one and have ONLY the desktop manager use that profile. Don't change Outlook to that mapi profile. You may want to try (before that) deleting your intellisync folder. Depending on version of Windows and desktop manager should be in....

C:\Documents and Settings\YOURUSERID\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Intellisync

YOURUSERID refers to the login you use when logging into the machine. Hope that helps! Note after deleting that folder you may have to reset PIMs to sync with Outlook.

Good luck!
    Nikki
    iPhone 4S - work
    Samsung Galaxy SII - personal
    Supporting BB, android and iOs devices at work.

pentace no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    The above answer will fix most intellsync issues. Maybe we should make that one a sticky!!

PIN/ID
    23CF680E

At the risk of sounding like a complete and total idiot, a MAPI file? Please explain. Can't create until it makes sense in my head.
    I did just remove and then reinstall Intellisync. In theory, that actually deleted the folder you referenced, but I'll try anything twice. This is frustrating.
    Thanks!

PIN/ID
    23CF680E

Aha! I found a new quirk. I can get one thing working at a time. In PIM configuration, I can choose the Address book and get the errors for the others. If I choose calendar and deselect Address Book, I get the calendar and errors for everything else.
    Hmmm ...
    Thoughts?

Actually I'd does not delete the intellesync folder by doing so. A mapi is just the specific mail profile set up on outlook. Also if you don't have any mail boxes set up on outlook it will not allow u to set it up to sync. And one more thing if your outlook 2003 has installed the business contacts profram you will not beable to sync either

And you do not need to worry about sounding like an idiot. The only way to learn is to ask.

Sounds like a corrupt file somewhere. If you go into your intellesync folder and open the sync log at the very end you should see an error. Whatever the error is you'll have to delete it. It sounds like it may be a task or memo

At the risk of sounding like a complete and total idiot, a MAPI file? Please explain. Can't create until it makes sense in my head.
    I did just remove and then reinstall Intellisync. In theory, that actually deleted the folder you referenced, but I'll try anything twice. This is frustrating.
    Thanks!
    The mapi profile is your mail profile. It utilizes the information contained within to connect with your Exchange server.

If you go to the control panel, click on the mail icon. You should see an area that says profiles. Click on show profiles. From there you will see your current profile. You can either copy the information out manually to a new profile (usually name the new one Blackberry so you can tell the difference between them) or you could use the copy function (but creating a new one would be better. Basically you need the Exchange server name, and your user name. Depending on whether you have admin rights to your PC you may not be able to do this. Then you would have to contact your IT or support dept. If you can create the new one you will need to specify it to use that profile when you reopen the desktop manager.
    Nikki
    iPhone 4S - work

True but that is only if you are using an exchange server. Not everyone uses an exchange server. Exchange mapi profiles can usually only be made by network admins. Normal everyday pop/imap can be created by the user but in this case it has nothing to do with the mapi profile. Since u stated it is giving u errors when only syncing certain parts it shows that there is a corrupt file or a file bb does not like. The only way to correct this is to go to the bb sync log and find the error at the end. Since you where able to sync it 1x it shows the error came from your bb device. Sometimes its a double name or a name format that confuses the outlook program.

Quote Originally Posted by pentace
    True but that is only if you are using an exchange server. Not everyone uses an exchange server. Exchange mapi profiles can usually only be made by network admins. Normal everyday pop/imap can be created by the user but in this case it has nothing to do with the mapi profile. Since u stated it is giving u errors when only syncing certain parts it shows that there is a corrupt file or a file bb does not like. The only way to correct this is to go to the bb sync log and find the error at the end. Since you where able to sync it 1x it shows the error came from your bb device. Sometimes its a double name or a name format that confuses the outlook program.
    Would need to setup logging for that. Things that normally mess up calendar entries are...too long of a title or note (over 125 char), repeating calendar entries (example Mom's birthday going on indefinitely) sometimes if you only have it repeat for 2 or 3 years it will fix that.

Here's the KB article from RIM's website....

How To - Enable advanced logging for Intellisync
    Last Updated: 27 October 2005
    Article Number: KB-01451

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Summary
    This article applies to the following:
    BlackBerry® Desktop Software
    Intellisync®
    IBM® Lotus Notes®
    Microsoft® Outlook®
    Microsoft Windows® 98, Windows 2000, and Windows XP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Background
    When a synchronization fails, the cause of the failure varies with the problem. The only way to debug Intellisync translation errors is to examine the debug-level data provided in the synchronization log files PTTrace.log and tif.log. The procedure below describes how to enable advanced synchronization logging and collect the output.

Procedure
    To enable advanced logging
    Identify which personal information management (PIM) application is causing the synchronization to fail.
    Configure the iloptcfg.cfg file.
    Enable ODSViewer logging (Lotus Notes users only).
    Synchronize using the affected application to create the synchronization log files.
    Collect and email the synchronization log files to your technical support representative.
    Reconfigure the iloptcfg.cfg file.
    Task 1 - Identify the PIM Application that is Causing Synchronization to Fail
    Synchronize each application separately until the problem recurs. For instructions, see KB-03069.

Task 2 - Configure the iloptcfg.cfg File
    Complete the following steps:
    Open the iloptcfg.cfg file in Microsoft Notepad. The file is in one of the following directories, depending on your operating system:
    In Windows 98
    C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Intellisync\
    In Windows 2000 or Windows XP
    C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Intellisync\
    Change the MultiJobTraceLog value to 200 (the default is 1). This setting will generate the PTTrace.log file.
    Change the TifLog value to 100 (the default is 0). This setting will generate the tif.log file.
    In BlackBerry Desktop Manager 4.0 Service Pack 1
    add the following entry: TifLog=100
    Save and close the file.
    In the same folder, delete the PTTrace.log file and tif.log file. These are the old synchronization log files.
    Task 3 - Enable ODSViewer Logging (Lotus Notes users)
    If your computer is running Lotus Notes 5, 6, or 6.5, enable ODSViewer logging.
    Open Windows Explorer and go to one of the following locations, depending on the desktop software you are running:
    BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.0 or earlier
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\PUMATech Shared\Connectors\Lotus Notes 5.0 Connector\
    BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.0 Service Pack 1 or later
    C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Connectors\LotusNotes5.0\
    Double-click ODSViewer.exe.
    In the ODS Default Viewer, verify the output path is set to a valid filename (for example, C:\Temp\ODSDebug.log).
    Task 4 - Synchronize the Affected PIM Application
    Disconnect the device from the personal computer.
    If Desktop Manager is open, close it.
    Re-open Desktop Manager.
    Connect the device to the computer.
    In Desktop Manager, double-click Intellisync.
    Click Configure PIM.
    Verify that all the check boxes are clear except for the check box beside the PIM application that is causing the error, then click OK.
    In the Intellisync window, click Synchronize Now. The synchronization log files PTTrace.log and tif.log are created.
    Task 5 - Collect and Email the Synchronization Log Files to Technical Support
    Copy the PTTrace.log and tif.log files. The files are located in one of the following directories, depending on your operating system:
    In Windows 98
    C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\
    C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Intellisync\
    Paste the PTTrace.log and tif.log files into a new email message. The log files become email attachments.
    If you ran the ODSViewer debug program in Task 3 (Lotus Notes users only), complete the following steps:
    1. In the ODS Default Viewer, click Dump.
    2. Close the ODS Default Viewer.
    3. Browse to the location of the output file (for example, C:\Temp\ODSDebug.log).
    4. Copy the output file and paste it in the open email message
    Send the email message to your technical support representative so that the synchronization log files can be analyzed.
    Task 6 - Reconfigure the iloptcfg.cfg File
    Open the iloptcfg.cfg file with Notepad. This file is located in one of the following directories, depending on your operating system:
    In Windows 98
    C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Intellisync\
    Change the MultiJobTraceLog value to 1.
    Change the TifLog value to 0.
    Save the file.
    Nikki
    iPhone 4S - work

PIN/ID
    23CF680E

Well, I can make each one work individually (ie, I can sync contacts, close, restart DM, sync calendar, close, etc.). And each one works fine. It just refuses to work altogether. The good news is that I can sync. The bad news is that its a royal pain and no longer involves just one click of a button.
    FWIW, I don't run an exchange server and I've been through my logs and found nothing.
    I'm beginning to be suspect of some other things. I was running Outlook 2007 and uninstalled it, but am still running the rest of Office 2007, which is in Beta 2. I'm wondering if there isn't something with that I need to take into consideration. If that's the case, then I need to just suffer through until someone comes up with an Office 2007 workaround/patch/etc.
    I appreciate all the help though.

Well, I can make each one work individually (ie, I can sync contacts, close, restart DM, sync calendar, close, etc.). And each one works fine. It just refuses to work altogether. The good news is that I can sync. The bad news is that its a royal pain and no longer involves just one click of a button.
    FWIW, I don't run an exchange server and I've been through my logs and found nothing.
    I'm beginning to be suspect of some other things. I was running Outlook 2007 and uninstalled it, but am still running the rest of Office 2007, which is in Beta 2. I'm wondering if there isn't something with that I need to take into consideration. If that's the case, then I need to just suffer through until someone comes up with an Office 2007 workaround/patch/etc.
    I appreciate all the help though.
    perhaps some registry keys were left behind from Outlook 2007. There wouldn't be any updates (from RIM) to support Outlook 2007 until it's out of beta.
    Nikki
    iPhone 4S - work

twillingham no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240C83A8

Similiar problem I am using Outlook 2007 and I was syncing fine and all of a sudden outlook wont sync with my device. When I reset the PIM the area is grayed out and I cant browse for the file

twillingham no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240C83A8

I had the same problem with syncing and I reinstalled the 4.1 desktop software and device and it worked for me The setup box to configure PIM was no longer grayed out and it worked for me I hope it works for you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast