Ok, I've dealt with this long enough and I'm getting tired of it. I don't ... RIM Desktop Software forum
Odd problem with Outlook synchronization
Ok, I've dealt with this long enough and I'm getting tired of it. I don't understand it, and I think that's part of my frustration. Maybe if I understood what was actually happening, I could figure out how to deal with this.
When I sync my BB with outlook, it works, but each time I sync it there are about 40 events that have "Change" on them. I sync it one time and those 40 events (most of them from the past) will be changed on the device. Then the next time I sync it, those same 40 events are changed on outlook. Then the next I sync it, it goes back to changing them on the device, it just goes back and forth, the same 39 to 40 events each time! Then it brings up my reminder window on outlook with all these missed events from the past, which I have to dismiss again.
Here is the configuration on the computer:
- Desktop Manager 4.6 (did it with earlier versions too, all the way back to 4.3)
- Outlook 2K3 SP3
- XP SP3
- calendar sync set to two way
- calendar date range set to transfer all scheduled items
- alarm settings set to remove alarms for past items
- Calendar options show keep appointments forever (have tried with the different amount of days, but it does it no matter what I choose)
So does anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong, what configuration is set incorrectly, or at least do you have any explanation of why it is acting like it is? I would really appreciate it, thanks!
I had a user with a similar problem. It was related to DST; are you sure your device and computer have been patched?
Hehe, patches. I'm in the support business too, and that seems to be my answer to almost anything, "just patch it!" I don't know why I didn't think of that.
Originally Posted by omaska
Frankly I'm not sure. I am pretty sure that the computer is up to snuff on patches, as I have downloaded all the ones that are pushed by MS. I don't know if it is included in there. My company I'm sure would have pushed a patch to the computer in order to fix that too.
As for a patch for the Device, I was not aware of one, is there a patch for this on the BB itself? If so, how do I find it and get it installed? I'd be happy to do so if I could find it.
Just came across this thread but its three days old, so you may have it fixed my now. If not then respond here & I will help you resolve this issue.
~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
Here is another odd thing, the issue comes and goes. It stopped doing this yesterday, and is not doing it now, but it has done it before too. It stopped a while back, and then started up again, and is now stopped again.
Perhaps some further information may help? Maybe this has something to do with it? I have my phone that I sync with my machine at work. I also sync it with my machine at home to transfer all that info to that box. My wife also uses that box, and syncs her phone with it as well, so that we can share our calendars with each other. That way if I add something to the calendar, she gets it on her phone, and if she adds something on her calendar, I get it on my phone. I don't know if there is a better way to do this, as I have a data plan and she does not. She never seems to experience this issue on her phone, only my phone does. At least I think that is the case. Both phones are Curve 8300's at 4.5. Most of the time this arrangement seems to work well, but I'm certainly open for ideas if there is a better way to accomplish what I'm trying to do. Thanks!
Well, here we go again. It is doing it again. This time, it is a group of two and a group of three that switch places each time I sync. I am just doing it at work right now, and two events are being synced to the device, and three are going to outlook. Mind you, NONE of these events have changed at all! They are recurring weekly meetings that have not been changed in months! Then I immediately sync it again, and they switch, the three that went to outlook are now going to the device, and the two that went to the device, are going to outlook! Just what the heck is going on here!? I really do not know of any more patches available for this, so I am pretty sure that that isn't an issue. What is going on here?
Interesting...I am not sure I understand exactly what you mean when you say "they are going to outlook" or they "went to the device" unless you mean that the event seems to have disappeared from one calendar or the other?
I am going to say that the issue is related to the multiple calendar sync. Especially when you say that your wife does not have the issue and it reads as if she only sync's with one calendar.
What device operating system are you running? Perhaps an update might help.
Another idea, and this is not a fix but it may solve some frustration....If you are confident that all of the events indeed survive on both calendars and the conflicts are false alarms you may want to use your advanced settings to disable the conflict notification. At the very least i would check those advanced settings on conflict resolution and make sure you are not deleting anything unintentionally...
It sounds like theres a conflict thats being ignored. Go to advance settings and highlite either device or outlook wins in case of conflict. I would recommend that the device wins in case of conflicts. I personally would do a one way sync starting with wife's phone, and then a one way sync from the device to your phone. Thats just to be sure your two phones and on the same pages. Then i would change the settings to two way syncs, and in case of conflicts, device always wins/or outlook always wins, its up to you, depending on where you mostly put appointments. And please be sure that the settings is the same for syncing with your wifes phone also. And dont forget to have the same applying to your work outlook.
Tags for this Thread