OK, I have had this a happen just a few times. This has happened on ... RIM Desktop Software forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Occasional issue where DM won't recognize my Curve

Advertisement

OK, I have had this a happen just a few times. This has happened on both the 4.3 and 4.6 versions of the DM.

I plug my 8330 Curve to the PC and it will make a different noise when it connects than normal, there is a rapid da-da-da-da instead of the standard tone when a device is connected via usb.

I can still use mass storage mode, I can use my bb as a removable drive and transfer files to and from my media card no problem. But the DM will not connect. Also, JL_Cmder will not connect.

Here's what I've done to troubleshoot:

1. Restart the PC
    2. restart my BB, both by alt/rt shift/delete and a battery pull

Still the DM won't recognize

3. tried reboot the PC again and remove media card from BB

Still the DM won't recognize

Finally, plug in another BB(my son's 8130 pearl) to the PC, DM recognizes that device , disconnect that BB, plug my Curve in again and yay, now my DM sees my Curve!

So, my questions are, any ideas what causes the problem? Is it my PC? Is it my Curve? What would my options be if I didn't have another BB to help correct it?
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Puzzling problem, Sam. I know you've seen this thread but just in case you haven't - maybe there's something in here that would answer your last question...just in getting DM to recognize your BB. Any help?
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Thanks, JB, I've seen that thread, always thought of it more for when the BB has a corrupt OS and is basically bricked, but next time it happens I'll see if I can remove the battery and force it to recognize, just in case it happens some time when my son and his pearl aren't around.

It happened this morning and I fixed it with the pearl before posting this thread, before that it hadn't happened for about 3 weeks....so I may not have a chance to try this for a while.....hopefully never though, it's a real pita!

I'll take any other suggestions too please. Keep 'em coming everyone.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    Thanks, JB, I've seen that thread, always thought of it more for when the BB has a corrupt OS and is basically bricked, but next time it happens I'll see if I can remove the battery and force it to recognize, just in case it happens some time when my son and his pearl aren't around.

It happened this morning and I fixed it with the pearl before posting this thread, before that it hadn't happened for about 3 weeks....so I may not have a chance to try this for a while.....hopefully never though, it's a real pita!

I'll take any other suggestions too please. Keep 'em coming everyone.
    I figured you had. It's odd though - it's like plugging your son's (another) phone in resets something in the DM. I've not seen this problem. Let me see if I can get some help for this (annoying) problem.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Usarmyaircav no está en línea Stack level 2
    jb,
    I downgrade to 4.1.170
    upgraded to 4.5.0.81 upgrade went smooth but DM 4.5 won't see BB
    installed DM 4.6, it gave me an error about certificate but completed ok.
    DM 4.6 won't see the BB either. Device Manager sees it, when I double click on it it shows the bb id.
    thoughts? I really don't want to re-do the OS per your above thread link but will if I need to.