Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi All, as you can tell by the name, Im new to BB. But a ... RIM Desktop Software forum

love my Treo no está en línea Stack level 1

Mangled DM Install or You Cant Get There From Here?

Advertisement

Hi All, as you can tell by the name, Im new to BB. But a friend has just switched from Palm to BB and since Im her technoslave, I know a WHOLE lot more than I did yesterday. (most of it here in the last 30 min!) The patient: a new Cingular 8700c. The problem: getting all the PIM data from the Treo 650 to the 8700. Then she can wirelessly sync with her Lotus Notes/BB Enterprise Server at work. (The reason for the switch in the 1st place)

Cingular salesman said it couldnt be done & a "tech-inclined" co-worker was also unsuccessful saying the DM 4.1 it came with was "outdated". Enter me. I d/l 4.2, installed it to an XP SP2 box, connected both devices to the laptop & ran the Switch Device Wizard, but I only get partial PIM transfer-Contacts looks good, but not all Calendar entries end up on the 8700.

So, I am trying to make a differential diag as to who the culprit is. Wrong ver of DM? Someone in Pinstack said "no 4.2 for any BlackBerry, except for the Pearl". Another said "You can not transfer files with any device but the 8100 Pearl using DM, even with 4.1 os and 4.1 DM" and another- "I use DM 4.2 all the time. Just don't expect it to work with the 4.2 OS specific functions, like Media Manager"

Bad install of DM? I did have some errors/warnings. One notable is -Desktop Manager: DesktopMgr.exe-Unable to Locate Component. "This application has failed to start because nNOTES.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." Then when I run it, sometimes Calendar takes a long time and end with the message "PIM data was not imported successfully. Errors ocurred during the process." Then I run it again, it goes fast and ends with the message "PIM data was imported successfully." - still with only partial transfer in calendar. I would appreciate any help offered. Thanks. BTW, I've visited many forum sites, and my first impression of Pinstack, in arrangement, management and quality and responsiveness of those that help to be first rate. Great site!!

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b
    Hello love_my_xxxx, lol, welcome to pinstack.

You can definitely use desktop manager 4.2 with your BB, you just wont be able to utilize some 4.2 OS features. You can sync just fine, and switch device should be easy as pie.

You should check the calender entries on your treo, maybe some of them are in a different format or have some issue where it wont transfer to the BB.

I just basically wanted to welcome you to pinstack, and someone will be along shortly and probably give you a different perspective on your situation. Meanwhile, enjoy...

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    love my Treo, Welcome to PinStack.

Check the calendar entries for one(s) with attachments. Those sometime cause problems with sync failures. Also you can go to the View Log feature of Syncronization/Configuartion and see what the detail results of the sync were and possibly which entries did not get transfered.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with this problem or your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Well, all the calendar entries in the Palm desktop have a note attached now after using the Switch Device Wizard- an Intellisync Record ID string. I did a clean uninstall and re-install of the DM, still the same results. Also, I cant seem to find the logs.

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    To find the Logs, if you're using DM 4.2, Open the Syncronization Feature, then Click on the Configuration Tab. There should be a button for "View Log"

hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

Thumbs down

In Synchronize>Configuration, the only way I could change the grayed-out state of the "View Log" button was to choose "Configure synch..." then run Synchronization and now I have Outlook on the laptop populated with the same partial Calendar data that made it to the 8700 in the first place. The log refers only to sync with whatever you use- Outlook, Lotus Notes, etc.

"Configure synchronization settings for your desktop organizer program"

It does not log Switch Device Wizard activity. Next suggestion?

(I tried to upload .jpg screen shots but I kept getting "upload failed")

Grrrrrrrrrr..............

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Sorry, I've run out of suggestions here.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

Wow, not the answer I wanted to see or expected. Coming from a Stack Pro, does this mean it's not do-able? Can you could send a message to cass921 (I cant send pm's yet) , on 11-5-06 he posted that he synced his Palm to his BB without problems. Maybe he can help me. Thanks!

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    PM sent.
    Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer

docholliday no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    317AFEB6
    I had to transfer the data from an old Palm V to a BB for someone. There was a work-around for the transfer wizard not functioning:

Export the data off the Treo as .csv files, then import them into the BB via the DM (either through Outlook or the ASCII importer/exporter). In the case of the address book, you'll have to open the .csv file in Excel and add in headers (First Name, Last Name, etc).

It's been a while since I did it, so I'm sorry that I can't give more detail

cass921 no está en línea Stack level 3
    hi i love my treo welcome to pinstack i want to help you out. i did switch from a palm m500 to a 7100i without any issues i have desktop manager version 4.1.0.8 (aug 2005) and i was using outlook 2003 instead of plam desktop manager to do everything. but even though i didn't use the palm desktop software it had to be installed. first things first do you still have the palm software installed because it has to be weather you use it or not. and you have to have outlook 2000 or higher i belive.please tell me step by step if you removed any palm software.

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Thanks for the suggestion Doc, I had forgotten to ask if you could export from the PALM to the csv file.

love my Treo, If you do try the ASCII sync function, make sure the headers are correct for the fields you want. You might want to do a sync from the BB first to establish what field names go with which entry.

hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    cass921, Thanks for the response.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

cass921 no está en línea Stack level 3
    since you said the information is already in outlook from your treo try syncing the DM blackberry with outlook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast