I'm in a hot water with my boss and I hope you guys can help ... RIM Desktop Software forum

zlee1 no está en línea Stack level 1

Laptop VS Desktop

Advertisement

I'm in a hot water with my boss and I hope you guys can help me with a solution.

Curve 8300, sync with outlook 2007. My boss syncs with his laptop and also wishes to sync with his desktop PC in the office. We do not use MS exchange. As long as he syncs to one computer (either the laptop OR desktop) the sync is OK. If we add the second computer to the mix, all the data gets messed up. It either gets deleted or duplicated. For example: If the laptop and the BB are properly synced, and I connect the BB to the desktop. The sync settings are set to "synchronize", it get a whole mess. Changes on the BB are duplicated in Outlook. I also get deletions I don't want.

So, I then tried to change the settings to export (from hand held) and checked in REFRESH. This is supposed to take all the data from the BB and overwrite the data in Outlook. It does not work. I still get a mess. The only way I have succeeded, is to use the outlook PST export, but this is a huge undertaking and not one that my boss will be able to do himself. Can anyone give me some advice?

nyydynasty no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Laptop VS Desktop

sync'ing with multiple outlook's can get a bit confusing. i wouldnt recommend doing that. Pick one computer to sync with. its easier and you'll grow less gray hairs.
    www.iamletired.com
    ...come one, come all....

Thank you for your reply.
    Yes, I know it's difficult, but there has to be an solution. I would imagine that there are lots of people who have both a laptop for travelling and a desktop for the office.

nyydynasty no está en línea Stack level 3

lots of people with a laptop for travel usually use that for the office as well (i.e. use it on a docking station).

in any case, the way you're doing it is the only way to go. Everytime you sync with your laptop, you need to immediately sync with your desktop. You need to have the same data on all 3 locations (laptop, desktop, BB). If you dont, then mass confusion will occur.

What you should do at this point (since there's data everywhere):
    1. assuming your BB has all updated data, delete the contacts in your laptop and desktop
    2. setup the sync software to push all data from your BB to outlook and sync with your laptop and desktop
    3. Now that all 3 locations are the same, setup the sync software to "synchronize" instead of moving it to outlook (basically undoing step 2).

Now everytime you need to sync, do it on your laptop AND desktop (not just 1).
    Try it and see if it works.
    www.iamletired.com
    ...come one, come all....

Thank you again for your reply.
    One last question:
    If I purchase MS exchange or the Blackberry Exchange server, will this make it possible (or easier) to keep the same data in all 3 locations?

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

If you get exchange and a BES, you could sync wirelessly with the exchange mailbox. As long as both computers are looking at the same exchange mailbox this will work. Assuming you have a data plan on the phone.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Aroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24431D74

I've never had good luck using desktop manager (with its intellisync engine) to "sync" with more than one PC (even if you sync one immediately after the other). You start to notice all sorts of descrepencies. I don't feel PDAs are meant to be "replication hubs". That job is best left to servers, and ideally only one server (hub and spoke).

Some databases can handle "multiple masters" (i.e. Active Directory, IBM Lotus Domino, etc). The BlackBerry Organizer is not one of those! What ever Desktop Manager and Intellisync are doing to keep track of changes does not propegate from PC to PC (nor effectively back to the blackberry itself). The BB needs to sync with only one computer. If multiple PCs are needed, then the BB and all of the PCs need to sync directly with a server. And that usually means corporate messaging system (Microsoft Exchange Server, IBM Lotus Domino, Novell GroupWise) and BES (or BES Express). In this way the BB is only reconciling (it's a push plus reconcile, not really a "true" sync) with one computer, i.e. the server. Then the BB and all PCs reconcile changes to the server (one place).

You may need MS Exchange and BES (or BESX) for best performance.
    Domino 6.5.6FP1 | BES 4.1.4