Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Im having trouble understanding how to download JAR & JAD files from the downloadable games ... RIM Desktop Software forum

nissanguy no está en línea Stack level 1

Question installing JAR and JAD with DM

Advertisement

Im having trouble understanding how to download JAR & JAD files from the downloadable games thru the DM for my 8100 pearl. please help! thanks

Ranz no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me!

Re: installing JAR and JAD with DM

jar and jad files are for OTA downloads (over the air). Through DM you should be loading alx files. post back for any questions. Welcome to Pinstack!

Oh you can also try a jad converter and convert it to alx.
    Last edited by Ranz; 11-28-2007 at 04:59 AM.

metal666 no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by nissanguy View Post
    Im having trouble understanding how to download JAR & JAD files from the downloadable games thru the DM for my 8100 pearl. please help! thanks
    I have a solution that doesn't require OTA or any converting software.

I have a bb pearl and had the same problem because I didn't purchase the browser option. But I eventually figured it out.
    When you got your bb pearl, it probably came with the CD that you used to install the Desktop Manager. Well this version of Desktop Manager doesn't recognize (or whatever...I'm no computer wiz) JAD or JAR files. Both the Application Loader and the Media Manager can't, on all versions of the Desktop Manager thus far for the bb pearl (from what I've seen).

To the point (INSTRUCTIONS): As far as my knowledge goes, you can't use the Application Loader to install JAD and JAR files onto your phone. However, if you download the newest version of the Desktop Manager from blackberry.com/Downloads/browseSoftware.do you can use the Media Manager to download them instead.
    In the drop-down menu, you'll see "Blackberry Desktop Software v4.3"
    Select it, and hit next. Proceed to download it.

After you do that, you can download an application (games, programs, etc) from a hosting site such as mobilerated.com (downloading both the JAR file WITHOUT unzipping it) and the JAD file to your computer).

Then, connect your bb pearl to your computer. Once it is done synchronizing (you may have to reconfigure the synchronizing application), open the Media Manager (not the Application Loader), and select your bb's Device Memory (NOT Media Card) in the bottom-left hand corner, right click, and create a new folder. Name the folder whatever you want (I called mine Applications). Then, just copy and paste your JAD AND JAR files into that folder (the bottom-right section of the window). It should prompt you with a window (I forget what it says). Click OK.

That is all you need to do on your computer; close the Media Manager.

Then on the bb pearl, select the Media application. You should be looking at a screen divided into four sections, containing ringtones, music, pictures, and videos. Then on that screen, press the Menu button (just to the left of the Trackball). You should see an option that says "Explore." Select that and click it. Then, open the "Device Memory" folder. There, you should see the new folder you created on the Media Manager, as well as four others (videos, pictures, music, and ringtones). Open the new folder. Inside you should see the JAD and JAR files you uploaded to your phone. Select the JAR (NOT JAD) file and click it. This should bring you to a page that gives a brief description of the application, containing the name, creator, etc. There should also be two buttons below the description: one says "Download" and the other says "Cancel." Select "Download." While it downloads, the bb may tell you that the application may not be from a "trusted source." Just click "Yes" (unless your application is from a sketchy website). The download bar will fill up, and when it's done, it should say "The application was downloaded successfully." Click "OK" or "Run" if you're just dying to play the game. If you clicked "OK," it should have taken you back to the list of JAD and JAR files.

Now if you go back to the desktop of your bb, and press the menu button for the list of applications, your program should be in there. Sometimes it will have an icon, sometimes it is just a black square-like icon. It doesn't really matter. You now should be able to run your application.

One last thing. If you chose to use mobilerated.com to download the application, take notice that in the top left corner of the window after you've opened up a game page, it tells you a bunch of information, including the distribution. If the distribution says "Full Version," you can download it, and not have to worry about anything. But if it says "Free Ad-Supported," then you must have the browser option on your phone to install it because it will ask to connect to the internet while you run the application so that it can present the Ads. Since I don't have the browser, I don't know what to do in that scenario.

Anyways, thats how you install JAD and JAR files onto your bb pearl.
    I don't use this website all that much, so if you try to contact me via this site, I most likely will not answer you.

Have fun,

Andy

PetePharm no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up Re: installing JAR and JAD with DM

Thanks Andy! Works perfectly. Can even do it easier by using the 'mass storage mode' and creating a new folder via Explorer, then the rest of it via your instructions. Cheers - I've had the .jar file downloaded for ages but could not install it! Wicked game.

ilim4t1c no está en línea Stack level 1

andy, i just wanna tell you, i love you

iam8up no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    20673FE5

Quote Originally Posted by metal666 View Post
    I have a solution that doesn't require OTA or any converting software.

I have a bb pearl and had the same problem because I didn't purchase the browser option. But I eventually figured it out.
    When you got your bb pearl, it probably came with the CD that you used to install the Desktop Manager. Well this version of Desktop Manager doesn't recognize (or whatever...I'm no computer wiz) JAD or JAR files. Both the Application Loader and the Media Manager can't, on all versions of the Desktop Manager thus far for the bb pearl (from what I've seen).

To the point (INSTRUCTIONS): As far as my knowledge goes, you can't use the Application Loader to install JAD and JAR files onto your phone. However, if you download the newest version of the Desktop Manager from blackberry.com/Downloads/browseSoftware.do you can use the Media Manager to download them instead.
    In the drop-down menu, you'll see "Blackberry Desktop Software v4.3"
    Select it, and hit next. Proceed to download it.

After you do that, you can download an application (games, programs, etc) from a hosting site such as mobilerated.com (downloading both the JAR file WITHOUT unzipping it) and the JAD file to your computer).

Then, connect your bb pearl to your computer. Once it is done synchronizing (you may have to reconfigure the synchronizing application), open the Media Manager (not the Application Loader), and select your bb's Device Memory (NOT Media Card) in the bottom-left hand corner, right click, and create a new folder. Name the folder whatever you want (I called mine Applications). Then, just copy and paste your JAD AND JAR files into that folder (the bottom-right section of the window). It should prompt you with a window (I forget what it says). Click OK.

That is all you need to do on your computer; close the Media Manager.

Then on the bb pearl, select the Media application. You should be looking at a screen divided into four sections, containing ringtones, music, pictures, and videos. Then on that screen, press the Menu button (just to the left of the Trackball). You should see an option that says "Explore." Select that and click it. Then, open the "Device Memory" folder. There, you should see the new folder you created on the Media Manager, as well as four others (videos, pictures, music, and ringtones). Open the new folder. Inside you should see the JAD and JAR files you uploaded to your phone. Select the JAR (NOT JAD) file and click it. This should bring you to a page that gives a brief description of the application, containing the name, creator, etc. There should also be two buttons below the description: one says "Download" and the other says "Cancel." Select "Download." While it downloads, the bb may tell you that the application may not be from a "trusted source." Just click "Yes" (unless your application is from a sketchy website). The download bar will fill up, and when it's done, it should say "The application was downloaded successfully." Click "OK" or "Run" if you're just dying to play the game. If you clicked "OK," it should have taken you back to the list of JAD and JAR files.

Now if you go back to the desktop of your bb, and press the menu button for the list of applications, your program should be in there. Sometimes it will have an icon, sometimes it is just a black square-like icon. It doesn't really matter. You now should be able to run your application.

One last thing. If you chose to use mobilerated.com to download the application, take notice that in the top left corner of the window after you've opened up a game page, it tells you a bunch of information, including the distribution. If the distribution says "Full Version," you can download it, and not have to worry about anything. But if it says "Free Ad-Supported," then you must have the browser option on your phone to install it because it will ask to connect to the internet while you run the application so that it can present the Ads. Since I don't have the browser, I don't know what to do in that scenario.

Anyways, thats how you install JAD and JAR files onto your bb pearl.
    I don't use this website all that much, so if you try to contact me via this site, I most likely will not answer you.

Have fun,

Andy

You are the man! Great guide!

losttourist no está en línea Stack level 2

OMG this info is amazing! Just did it with positive results. Thank you so much.

vinod_patil no está en línea Stack level 2

Thanks It worked really well...
    I think it should be sticky. . .

makedonce no está en línea Stack level 1

Hi all.. I can create folders but I can't transfer the files into the folder. I try to drag and drop but all i get is a message that the filter is set to display only audio files and that there might be other files that are not displayed. when I access the folder through the BB, its 0 KB. I have DM 4.2 with SP2.
    Is someone else experiencing this? Can you please give me some advise? Do i need to upgrade do DM 4.3 or need to change some settings in the roxio?

thanks

mike_187 no está en línea Stack level 1

i think bb manager works, cant remember if i had to convert to files to .cod or not.

arysseus no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242F676A

Thumbs up Re: installing JAR and JAD with DM

Very nice, worked perfectly with my Blackberry Pearl 8100.

Just a quick question though. When you say click on "Download", does this signify that it's just using the files you already downloading off the net and onto your device via the desktop manager, or is it actually downloading something somewhere through a connection?

Just a question, for those of us who don't have a data plan.

irshrn no está en línea Stack level 1

Does anyone know how to do the install for the .jar and .jad files, referenced earlier for a 8830? The directions listed are for the curve, etc. and I need the ones for the 8830, please?

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

I believe the 8830 has a media card, right? The process should be the same. As long as the apps are compatible with your BB and if they work on the curve they should work on an 8830. Both are qwerty and 320x240 devices.,

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

I don't think I have a media card, any other suggestions?

How do I tell if there is one in my blackberry?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast