Has anyone else experienced this? I have on 4 different notebooks now. Installing BB Desktop ... RIM Desktop Software forum

sf67 no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs down Install blows away Suspend/Hibernate on laptop

Advertisement

Has anyone else experienced this? I have on 4 different notebooks now. Installing BB Desktop Manager 4.2 onto a laptop with Windows XP Pro... once its complete, the ability to use suspend/hibernate on the laptop is no longer available. I tried uninstalling the app and it does not reappear in the power settings (this also happens with v4.1).

Even doing a system restore does not solve the problem. I have surmized that this installation program is doing something in the registry to make the laptops think that suspend/hibernate capabilities no longer exists (or hot-docking as well).

Has anyone else seen this and solved this problem... its quite urgent!!

Thanks!!

~ Stephen

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    sf67, Welcome to PinStack.

I have never seen nor heard of this problem. What options did you use when installing the Desktop Manager? You didn't include to open at Start Up did you?

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with this problem or your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Thanks for your message. I used all of the default settings (BES setting), but didn't include the option to open at Start Up. At this point, the app works fine and allows me to synch with Outlook, however I've completely lost the ability to suspend/hibernate.

I can't believe I'm the only one who may have had this problem... and given its happened on 4 different laptops, all installed the same way, I'm surprised this isn't mentioned here in the forum as a (big) problem.

Anyone from RIM available to chip in with some ideas? I've also tried the regsvr32 atl.dll which I found on their TSB's but that didn't solve anything.

~ Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    sf67, Welcome to PinStack.

I have never seen nor heard of this problem. What options did you use when installing the Desktop Manager? You didn't include to open at Start Up did you?

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with this problem or your BB.

Rcbjr

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    I used all of the default settings (BES setting), but didn't include the option to open at Start Up.
    Are you on a company BES? your profile says No. If this latter is true, The problem may be that you installed using the Enterprise Option instead of the Internet Option. If you are on a BES, then I'm not sure, but there may be communications between the PC and BES that is preventing the sleep/hibernate mode transition.

I'm not sure how to help, sorry.
    Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer

I've installed using both scenarios (from a fresh laptop) and the problem occurs with both.

~ Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    Are you on a company BES? your profile says No. If this latter is true, The problem may be that you installed using the Enterprise Option instead of the Internet Option. If you are on a BES, then I'm not sure, but there may be communications between the PC and BES that is preventing the sleep/hibernate mode transition.

I'm not sure how to help, sorry.
    Rcbjr

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Well, I really don't know, because it has never caused a problem with my laptop going into hybernate mode, suspsend mode or stand by mode.

Only other thing I can think of is if your DM is running in the background (Run Minimized).

Other than that, I'm at a loss
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

Re: Install blows away Suspend/Hibernate on laptop

It appears I've solved the problem. Somehow, the installer puts in two new drivers (they are ancient) called genport.sys and genport2.sys. When I uninstalled the app, it doesn't remove these (found at \windows\system32\drivers) nor the registry entries. I removed them manually and suspend/hiberate and undocking now all work.

~ Stephen

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Re: Install blows away Suspend/Hibernate on laptop

Interesting? thanks for the update.