Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So I'm finally trying out 4.5 I download the Desktop Manager I download the software ... RIM Desktop Software forum

Justyn no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    n/a

Huge Problem

Advertisement

So I'm finally trying out 4.5

I download the Desktop Manager

I download the software from blackberry.com

I install everything.

Delete the vendor.xml

GO half way through the upgrade process and it says there was a problem doing it.

I try to do it again and Desktop Manager won't read my device, I keep getting this message:

[FONT=Times New Roman]A connection to the device could not be established. Please ensure that your device is properly connected to the cradle or USB cable, and that the cradle or USB is connected securely to your computer. Also ensure that the device has completer any startup operations. Then run the Application Loader Wizard again.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]I'm kinda freaked out here! What did I do wrong?[/FONT]
    It's not an iPhone addiction, it's insomnia!

PIN/ID
    n/a
    Its not even reading my memory card anymore!!!

Horrible nightmare day!!!

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Also, take a look at this thread for wiping device and this thread for re-installing OS.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

PIN/ID
    n/a
    THere's no way to do this without a hard wipe? I've never had to do one before... but wouldn't I lose all my third party apps... again?

I just went from 8100 to 8120 and had to contact all of my third party app support staff to get a code to get the downloads to put back on... aarggh

I don't want to have to do that.... is there no other thing to try?

Quote Originally Posted by Justyn View Post
    THere's no way to do this without a hard wipe? I've never had to do one before... but wouldn't I lose all my third party apps... again?

I just went from 8100 to 8120 and had to contact all of my third party app support staff to get a code to get the downloads to put back on... aarggh

I don't want to have to do that.... is there no other thing to try?
    Maybe. Try this procedure first and, if it doesn't work, try going to the 1st one that I posted above. You can do the wipe if you have to - all you have to do is follow the instructions carefully. I had never done it before either and the 1st time I tried it it worked perfectly.

The other way to wipe your handheld without using the JL_CMDER is to go to options: security options: general settings and press the menu key (left of the trackball) and select "wipe handheld"
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

PIN/ID
    n/a
    Before I start my wipe I wanted to ask a questions... the computer isn't even reading my device for mass storage, isn't that an issue with the device drivers. Can anyone help before I wipe my handheld pls?

PIN/ID
    n/a
    Okay I think I understand what's wrong...
    So my battery's drained and the computer won't charge it... so I plug it in into my wall charger... which it's not charging! I think something's wrong with my USB port and that something happened in the middle of my upgrade which is why 4.5 didn't successfully upgrade in the first place. It's on my charge pod right now... but I how I fix something like that? I think if I can fix that then I can upgrade to 4.5 without having to hard reset... so any ideas? Anyone? Please?

If you have a USB port with a "loose connection" - that is, it won't charge via home charger but will connect and charge via USB cable, I have a 8100 with that problem. It doesn't really seem that uncommon IMO.

If you can connect via USB cable go ahead and try the procedure that I mentioned in post #6 but BE CAREFUL to not move the handset any more than possible in case the USB cable connection is a little unstable too. (You can test this by simply connecting the handset to the cable and listen for the connection tone from your p-c. Then pick up the handset and move it around and gently twist it (while connected to the cable) - listen for the disconnect tone from your p-c. If movement causes disconnect/connect you've probably got bad USB port on your handset. In that case you'll have to perform the procedure with the handset lying face down, with the back off (battery out) for the procedure and when you get to step #13 you'll need to put the battery in without moving the handset.

The object is to get the OS back in the phone - you'll have to be patient because it sometimes looks like nothing is happening - it may take 30 minutes to an hour to complete. It's a little convoluded but it can be done if you're careful and follow the instructions - good luck.

PIN/ID
    n/a
    It won't charge either way. I have to use my desktop charge pod, where it charges using the connectors at the bottom of the device. Occasionally I'll check to see if I can charge using the port on my home charger and it works... so excitidly I run to my computer to plug it in and the charge icon comes up for a second and then goes away. I tried that Saturday, then just now. I left the wall charger in for about 20 seconds and the charging icon didn't go off, so I ran to the computer and it did it again. I talked to T-Moblile adn RIM and the only thing they're saying is to get a handset replacement, which I don't want to do.

In the past I've gotten refurbs on motorola cell phones and I work for AT&T, I know we only give out refurbs to replace a defective phone. So I demanded if they sent me a replacement it needs to be new, which they said they can't do. I explained I paid $350 to not extend my contract and sending out a piece of s refurb isn't right. They can't do anything so I told them I'm cancellng my service.

I figured I'll unlock my 8120 and sell it and by a Bold (which I should have held out in the first place for...)

SiNJiN no está en línea Stack level 2
    I know that when I first upgraded to 4.5 there was an error message on the BB halfway through, but I just let it sit there and it corrected itself and finished the install. Took about 40 minutes tho.

Justyn,

Sorry for your trouble! Even though I'm using the 8320 I DO love both the 8100 and the 8120 - I have one of each (don't anyone ask me why or call me stupid) and they are both in progress of exam/fix, if possible - one warranty, one not. It DOES seem like the 81xx's have more problems with USB ports than the other BB's - that may just be my sense of it. Good luck in the future as you "work your way" thorough this problem...and sorry AT&T won't be helpful.

PIN/ID
    n/a
    I've never ever had a problem with charging my 8120 or my 8100. Something must have moved in the USB port when trying to upgrade to 4.5.

And it's T-Mobile that's not very helpful! I'm just gonna cancel with them b/c I have both services and at the time it made sense that if I got free AT&T service, to just do data only and not pay a deact. fee with TMO.

Man I wish there was a way to download 4.5 OTA!

Also someone told me running a Media Net Data Plan will allow me to still get BIS accounts. Can anyone confirm this b/c I thought you needed a BIS Data Plan to use BIS Emails

PIN/ID
    n/a
    So I was telling my Data Performance Manager my situation and he asks me "Why don't you put it on your SD Card Reader and install using the SD card's memory?"

I told him I didn't think you could do that, that the SD Card only displays and play whats in the Blackberry's Media Folder. Now he understands devices better than anyone I "personally" know, so safe to say he know more than me in a lot of different things!

Well haven't gotten another chance to talk to him today so I figured I would ask the Blackberry Experts in the Stacks... is that possible? Cause if it is true, I'm really really stoked!

I can't imagine this working Justyn and, if it could be done, it's convoluted at best. I'm NOT an expert - maybe one of ours (experts) can jump in here and confirm or deny it.

IF you can't connect to the DM you'd have to do some goofy thing like plug your media card into your P-C and install the OS there - that's possible I guess - it's only memory. Don't forget to delete the vendor file - it's now on the media card. Then you'd have to have a copy of application loader on the media card too, and execute it from there to install the OS from the media card to the handset.

Does that make sense? How about getting that "Data Performance Manager" to do it for you.

I get a real expert's thoughts on this before proceeding - I'm just using my imagination.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast