I am trying to sync my 8120 using Desktop manager v4.2.2.12. But when I click ... RIM Desktop Software forum

RichA no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Help: Intellisync...

Advertisement

I am trying to sync my 8120 using Desktop manager v4.2.2.12.

But when I click on synchronise, I get an error message - Intellisync "Unknown error reported".

Has anyone seen this before / know a solution? It is driving me crazy.

Thanks,
    Rich

Lois_lane no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Help: Intellisync...

Hi There, I have the same problem with my 8100.
    Anyone with ideas?

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

sorry I can't help you with this one, but what do you use intellisync for? Is it to get your email without using BIS?

Quote Originally Posted by cliffr39 View Post
    sorry I can't help you with this one, but what do you use intellisync for?
    I use it to sync my calendar & contacts.

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    I am trying to sync my 8120 using Desktop manager v4.2.2.12.

But when I click on synchronise, I get an error message - Intellisync "Unknown error reported".

Has anyone seen this before / know a solution? It is driving me crazy.

Thanks,
    Rich
    From RIM, Cause 6 is most common. Hope it helps.
    Unknown Error Reported

Doc ID : KB02200
    Last Modified : 2006-11-14
    Document Type : Support

Print this page

Environment
    • BlackBerry® Desktop Software 3.2 and later
    • IBM® Lotus Notes®
    • Microsoft® Outlook®
    Problem

When synchronizing or configuring your personal information management (PIM) data, you receive the following message on your BlackBerry device:
    Unknown Error Reported

Cause

Summary of Causes
    The problem may be caused by one or more of the following:
    1. There is a Lotus Notes 5 connector issue.
    2. There is a BlackBerry Desktop Software installation error.
    3. Microsoft Outlook is not the default email client.
    4. The HKEY_Local_Machine registry key does not have the required permissions.
    5. The Microsoft Outlook 2000 Email service option is set toInternet Only.
    6. The ATL.dll file is not registered.
    Cause 1
    There is an issue with the Intellisync translator that connects to the Lotus Notes databases for the purpose of PIM synchronization.

Resolution
    Uninstall and re-install the BlackBerry Desktop Software.
    The BlackBerry device user's account must have administrative permissions on the computer and must be the account used to install the BlackBerry Desktop Software. For more information, see KB-02206.

Note: Confirm that thePumatech shared folder in C:\Program Files\Common Files has been removed.

Cause 2
    There has been a BlackBerry Desktop Software installation error. No cause has been determined for this error.

Resolution
    Uninstall and re-install the BlackBerry Desktop Software.
    For more information, see the resolution for Cause 1 above.

Cause 3Microsoft Outlook is not configured as your default email client.

Resolution
    To configure Outlook as your default email client, complete the following steps:
    1. In the Microsof Windows® Control Panel, double-clickInternet Options, then click thePrograms tab.
    2. From the E-mail drop-down list, select Microsoft Outlook.
    3. Click Apply, then clickOK.
    Cause 4
    You do not have permission to write to the HKEY_Local_Machine registry key.

Resolution
    To verify the permissions in your computer registry, complete the following steps:

Warning: The following procedure involves modifying the computer registry. This can cause substantial damage to the Microsoft Windows® operating system. Document and back up the registry entries prior to implementing any changes.
    1. Open the Registry Editor by clicking Start>Run. Type regedt32 and clickOK.
    2. Right-click HKEY_Local_Machine, then click Permissions.
    3. Verify that the Full Control permission is set to Allow. If you do not have Full Control, contact your system administrator.
    Cause 5
    The Microsoft Outlook 2000 Email service option is set toInternet Only.

Resolution
    To reconfigure Outlook using the Corporate or Workgroup installation, complete the following steps:

Note: You will need the Outlook installation CD to complete this procedure.
    1. In Outlook, from the Tools menu, selectOptions.
    2. On the Mail Services tab, click Reconfigure Mail Support.
    3. Select the Corporate or Workgroup option, then click Next. You are prompted to insert the Outlook installation CD.
    4. Follow the instructions in the CD installation process to complete the reconfiguration.
    Workaround
    If the above resolution for Cause 5 does not correct the issue, uninstall and re-install Microsoft Outlook using theCorporate or Workgroup installation option. For more information, search the Microsoft Support Knowledge Base for article 195507.

Cause 6
    The
    ATL.dll file is not registered.

Resolution
    To register the ATL.dll file before installing BlackBerry Desktop Manager, complete the following steps:
    1. Uninstall the BlackBerry Desktop Software. For more information, see KB-02206.

Important: Do not perform Task 6 in KB-02206. Do not restart the computer at this time.
    2. Click Start>Run, typeregsvr32 atl.dll and pressENTER.
    3. Restart the computer.
    4. Click Start>Run, typeregsvr32 atl.dll and pressENTER.
    5. Install the BlackBerry Desktop Software and any required service packs.
    Last edited by Eddie_gauge; 11-28-2007 at 11:15 AM.

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7

If you have issues registering the ATL.dll file you can also try this

Workaround

Complete the following steps:
    1. Uninstall BlackBerry desktop software:For instructions on how to uninstall the BlackBerry Desktop Software, see KB-02206.
    2. Register the atl.dll file:
      1. Open a command prompt. Type one of the following according which Microsoft Windows® operating system you are using:
        • For Windows 98 and ME users: cd c:\windows\system
        • For Windows NT 4.0 and 2000 users: cd c:\winnt\system32
        • For Windows XP users: cd c:\windows\system32
      2. Press Enter. Type the following: regsvr32 atl.dll
      3. Press Enter.
      4. A message should appear indicating the registration was successful. Type exit and pressEnter.
    3. Re-start the computer.
    4. Register the atl.dll file again. See Step 2, above.
    5. Re-install the BlackBerry Desktop Software.

Eddie,
    Thanks for that? A little more complicated than i was expecting. i am little more than a blackberry owning home pc user and just want my blackberry & pc to be able to talk to each other. The prospect of amending registries is a little daunting.
    Rich

ericlevay no está en línea Stack level 1

Rich,

Yes, the registry can be daunting, it is only a database of your computer hardware, software, settings and user environment. As long as you are careful and thorough when editing it you should be okay.
    Modifying the settings above should not cause your PC to crash or stop working but if done incorrectly it could cause the RIM software to malfunction or not function at all.
    Just take your time and be careful. You should do fine.

Ok. I plucked up the courage. And have done all of the above. Only problem is it still doesn't work.

I am now at my wits end. I have upgraded to a new blackberry which I like, but in the process lost all syncronisation. I am am in a worse place than I was a week ago. :cry:

Does anyone have Desktop Mgr working on Vista? What version are you running?

megawhizz no está en línea Stack level 1

Same problem here. Followed the KB instructions to the letter, still no help. Also tried uninstalling the Palm Desktop software (another forum suggested that), no luck. Tried downgrading the BB desktop software, same result.

Is there anyone who knows how to debug this? I have a similar software setup on my Laptop, and the sync works just fine there, so I have to assume this is a configuration problem. Before I uninstall and reinstall windows, is there an easier solution?

kpsmith no está en línea Stack level 1

All Right I had the same problem with my Verizon Pearl 8130 and tried all the various steps from blackberry and various forums to no avail.

Finally figured out a work around. I took a look at the log file and saw some internal error going on and the error seemed to be right when it was first trying to get the new user folders established on a new install. So I took the device to another computer installed the software and what do you know it syncs. Too bad I don't have all my data setup on this computer.

So I copied the User data folder from the working computer to the non working computer and tried to sync again and it all magically started working.

To locate your Data folder location launch the blackberry desktop manager and click Data folder Settings on the left. The default path is

C:\Documents and Settings\[USER NAME]\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\

Where USER NAME is your currently logged on user.

So copy the entire Blackberry folder from the working computer and then paste it to the correct location on the non-working folder.

This solved it for me anyhow.
    Last edited by kpsmith; 02-05-2008 at 03:30 PM.

dawnium no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up intellisync unknown error reported

I was able to sync my BB with other computers but was never able to sync it up to the one with my Outlook profile.

I looked at the path you specified: C:\Documents and Settings\[USER NAME]\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\

There I found two folders, Intellisync, and Loader History. I renamed them both with ~ at the front. I then had to relaunch the Desktop Manager and reconfigure my sync settings. After that it worked fine.

tigerw550 no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up bingo

You got it right - renamed the two folders (Vista users: C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry) with the ~ on the end... reconnected the BB and it set it up like new again.

Thanks for the help!