Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello, I have had this problem for days now and cannot figure out how to ... RIM Desktop Software forum

pred43 no está en línea Stack level 1

HELP!

Advertisement

Hello, I have had this problem for days now and cannot figure out how to fix it. My Desktop Software (4.1) for my 7250 will not open. It is installed(I have removed and installed again) and when I click it to open the Windows Installer opens up and says the path cannot be found. I hit cancel and nothing....I have to goto my task manager and end the program. This has never happened before and it is only with the Desktop Software...I have installed many things since and the windows installer works fine...it seems it cannot find or recognize the software and I have no idea what to do...anyone else seen this and know how to fix?

Thanks in advance

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: Help!

Welcome to pinstack.com. You should uninstall the Desktop software completely from PC. Then reinstall (without Blackberry plugs in via USB). Reply and we'll help walk you through or other members will post additional info/advice or methods to resolve.

Also please see our forum rules.

Re: HELP!

thanks for your help. I have done that and the windows installer still messes it up. Im at a lost. Have a great day

PIN/ID
    ask

Sorry to hear. If you post some more details and error messages maybe we can try to help out.

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Welcome to Pinstack... have you tried restoring through windows to a past date?

Well, I would but I dont think i can because I cant even open up the Desktop Manager to get to the restore. it tells me the path is not available. I have reinstalled and saved to desktop and it keeps going for te wrong path..I can browse and select the right path but it still goes to it...crazy

thanks for the help....Here is what happens. This started a few weeks ago. I click on the Desktop Manager and it starts to open and this window pops up "Windows Installer:The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package "Blackberry 7250.msi" in the box below.

Use Source Browse

It then has a source to the file, which I guess it is saying is unavailable. I have uninstalled 4.1 and reinstalled it and saved it on the desktop. This still happens. I actually had my IT guy at work connect remotely to try a couple things. he did a bunch of stuff that I dont undertsand but it didnt work. Now, he does not know anything about Blackberry's I just thought he could help.

PIN/ID
    ask

try this from Blackberry's site:

Support - The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable

Summary

This article applies to the following:
    • BlackBerry Enterprise Server™ 3.6
    • BlackBerry® Desktop Manager
    • Microsoft® Exchange

Problem

When you attempt to install a BlackBerry Enterprise Server service pack or hotfix or Desktop Manager, you receive the following error:
    The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package “BlackBerry Enterprise Server.msi” in the box below.

Cause

The Micorosft Windows® Installer cannot locate the installation files because it references the files in the folder used during the previous installation.

Resolution 1 - BlackBerry Enterprise Server installation

Determine the folder in which the files were placed during the previous service pack or hotfix installation and copy the installation files to that location.
    Warning: Modifying the computer registry can cause substantial damage to the Microsoft Windows operating system. Document and back up the existing registry entries prior to implementing any changes.
    1. To open the Registry Editor, click Start > Run, and type regedit.
    2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Prod ucts
    3. Select the <guid> registry key that contains the following registry entry:

Name Type Data ProductName REG_SZ BlackBerry Enterprise Server

Note: The name of the <guid> registry key is different on every BlackBerry Enterprise Server.
    4. Expand the SourceList registry key. The Data field of the LastUsedSource registry entry displays the path that was used for the previous service pack or hotfix installation.

5. Copy the installation files to the path found in step 4.
    6. Complete the installation.

Resolution 2 - Desktop Manager installation

Complete the following:
    1. Download the Desktop Manager installation file to the desktop.
    2. In Windows Explorer, go to C:\ and create a temporary folder.
    3. Extract the Desktop Manager installation file to the temporary folder that you created in step 2.
    4. During the installation, if you are prompted to name the path to the installer.msi file, specify the temporary folder name that you created in step 2.
    5. Complete the installation

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Hydn, this is why you are the man, and no im not kissing *** LOL

wow, I searched that website for years and could not find it. I will try it in a bit and let you know. You have been a huge help

PIN/ID
    ask

hope is DOES help. keep us posted. Good luck

well, it looks like we are on the right path but still not quite there. The first step seems like it is for the Enterprise Server which I am not installing...but the 2nd step looks like what I need. the only problem is that the file it is looking for "Blackberry 7250.msi" is not the name of the desktop manager software (.exe) so when I browse and click on the temp folder it shows nothing....and suggestions?

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Look in the folder that the DM.exe file installs the BB Software when it runs. If you didn't change it, it should be in "C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry" and sub directories there or in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion" and sub.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

forgive me for my lack of knowledge...but what do I do when I get to that point?

MLEAKIN no está en línea Stack level 1

I was having the same problem. THIS WORKED!!

Blackberry KB-04107

I cant post URL because I'm a Newb. But it gives step by step detailed instructions.

MLEAKIN
    Last edited by MLEAKIN; 09-12-2006 at 06:07 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast