FIRST POST! ... to my new Blackberry Pearl.... I have a new Pearl that "should" ... RIM Desktop Software forum

techytom no está en línea Stack level 2

Ex-Palm User Seeks New Companion!

Advertisement

FIRST POST!

... to my new Blackberry Pearl....

I have a new Pearl that "should" be arriving today (fingers crossed -- ouch!). I've been a Palm user since the Palm first came out. What are the alternatives to synchronizing the Pearl with desktop software -- are there any "simple" desktop applications? (I'm only used to the Palm desktop -- can I continue to use this??).

Sorry for the questions -- SUPER NEWBIE ALERT!

Thanks!

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

waiting for postman ........... .......... .......... ........

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    techytom, Welcome to PinStack.

You can not use the Palm desktop for a PIM with your Blackberry. There are several PIMs that can be used. I like Outlook but you can use others. Checkout the list at BlackBerry's DM 4.2 System Requirements Site. I'd list them all but I've posted the list 4 times in the last two days.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with this problem or your BB.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Re: Ex-Palm User Seeks New Companion!

OK, I got activated, got my PIN (23DF3CDA), and I just used the Switch Device Wizard to move data over from my Palm Tungsten T3

I got Calendar entries
    I got memos
    My ADDRESSes LOOKED like they should have imported, but I can't find them! The Device Wizard finished with (errors), so perhaps this is the error it meant.

Is there any way to import the addresses; or what could I be doing wrong?

I know this is only a one time shot -- I'm trying to only use the Pearl now!

Thanks, and let me know if you need more info.

Tom

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

tom...do you have your addresses/contacts in outlook?
    i haven't used a palm in a very long time and i can't remember exactly how it is done. so i am not sure what error you are getting either.
    i syncronize with outlook and that is where my addresses/contacts are imported from.

I don't have Outlook installed yet. I was planning on purchasing it shortly. I've just used Gmail for years now.

OK. I have Outlook installed now. It APPEARED to transfer everything OK, but in the last step:

"Pim data was not imported successfully. Errors occurred during the process."

No indication of SPECIFICALLY what went wrong.

NOTHING came over??

Any idea what I am doing wrong? Palm Desktop 4.1.4, Palm T3, Office Outlook 2007, BB Pearl all hooked up.

Using DM 4.2.0.10,

All I really need to do is a one-time synch of my Palm Desktop addresses to my BB (through Outlook, I guess).

Really need help here.

Thanks!

Tom

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Tom, Open Desktop Manager and select Syncronization. Opent the Configuration Tab and click on the View Log. you can find what happened during the sync by reading the log.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    Tom, Open Desktop Manager and select Syncronization. Opent the Configuration Tab and click on the View Log. you can find what happened during the sync by reading the log.

Rcbjr.
    Rcbjr,

Reading the Synchronization log only shows that I successfully sync'ed the Pearl with Outlook, but only after the Palm data errored out on the way into Outlook --

The problem happend DURING THE TRANSLATION when SWITCHING DEVICES. I found this entry in the PTTrace.log file in the Data Migration Wizard subdirectory:

{excerpt begin}

22:41:10.718:
    22:41:10.718: Starting One-Way Sync
    22:41:10.734: Phase=10, User=Tom Doe: Reading data from Handheld Address Book
    22:41:12.187: Finished Reading 2 Records + 0 Deletes + 0 Unchangeds for User=Tom Doe from Handheld Address Book (slow sync input for resync)
    22:41:12.187: Phase=20, User=Tom Doe: Reading data from Palm Desktop Address Book
    22:41:51.468: Finished Reading 351 Records + 0 Deletes + 0 Unchangeds for User=Tom Doe from Palm Desktop Address Book (slow sync input for resync)
    22:41:51.468: Phase=30, User=Tom Doe : Writing data into Handheld Address Book
    22:41:56.593: Add 351, Change 0, Delete 0, and Leave 2 Alone in Handheld Address Book
    22:41:56.593: Add 0, Change 0, Delete 0, and Leave 351 Alone in Palm Desktop Address Book
    Wed Jan 03 22:41:56 2007: Error Failed to add/delete/modify record on the device.4238 at RIMeviceIConnector.cpp line 729
    Wed Jan 03 22:41:56 2007: Error 4019.4019 at .....

{end excerpt}

Any ideas, or should I check with BB Support Dept?

Or ALTERNATELY, since I CAN SYNCHRONIZE with Outlook, is there an easy method to transfer just my ADDRESSES from Palm Desktop to Microsoft Outlook?

Thanks very much for your prompt response!

Tom

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Tom, I haven't used a Palm device in about 10 Years, long before I started using a Blackberry, but I do remember being able to sync my Palm to Outlook way back then. Don't know how or what App I used but I remember doing it. I really can't help in this but maybe someone else will Pipe in with more support.

Sorry
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

joe_2224 no está en línea Stack level 1

Did you ever figure out how to sync your pearl to your T3? I am having the same problem. I have 2000 +/- pieces of information on my palm and would like to transfer it to my pearl. I was able to do it, but I do not have an easy way of updating when information changes. Are there any 3rd party programs that I can make changes on the desktop and sync them to my pearl? My wife is using outlook with HER BB 8700. I have setup a second user on outlook 2003, but having a difficult time transfering info from the Palm T3 to Outlook.

Ultimately I would like to be able to make changes on Palm T3, Outlook 2003, OR the pearl and be able to plug them all into the desktop and have then syched together to keep my info up to date.

Thanks!

I love this site!

Joe