Hello, I was just wondering - I have had to recently do a restore to ... RIM Desktop Software forum

WRC1045 no está en línea Stack level 3

DTM - complete backups: data and programs?

Advertisement

Hello, I was just wondering - I have had to recently do a restore to a new 8100. The restore did not seem to restore the original 8100 software and programs I had installed; like opera mini, bbreply google maps. Is the COMPLETE backup supposed to restore these 3rd party apps? the backup did seem to restore everything except those 3rd party apps? Is this correct? Is there a backup or a way to restore to the exact same image? Also I had to dl today plus (theme) as this was not backed up also. I have checked and rechecked the settings and I am sure it is a complete backup. Any ideas? Thanks for your time and Happy olidays to everyone.

EvolutionCSR no está en línea Stack level 5
    If you had the old 8100 you could have used the switch device feature of 4.2 DM, other than that a backup/restore is only supposed to backup contacts,options,messages etc... not 3rd party aplications

Thanks, that's ok. is there any way to copy that image from one bb to a new one (same model)

Thanks

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    It sounds like those apps are ones that are downloaded OTA, therefore you would not have a copy to download. But you can just go to where you installed them the first time and do a new install. I also believe they were all free downloads so you shouldn't have a problem.

hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

So it is my understanding that no one makes a program that will backup the entire file/os/data of the bb pearl? Would be nice if someone did.

gritsinct no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Re: DTM - complete backups: data and programs?

So it's a year later and I just had the same problem! I have been religiously backing up my BB every week, thinking I was protected against all loses. My BB crashed while I was traveling over Xmas, but I did not panic, secure in the knowledge that I had my backups at home. I just borrowed a PC to reinstall the OS and got the basics running till I got home. So I got home this AM and happily restored my latest backup, only to discover that all of my 3rd party apps have vanished!! I have accumulated quite a lot of 3rd party apps, and it's going to be a time consuming process to find and reinstall them all!! Is there no way to backup everything on my BB? Has nothing been created in the last year? I can't be the only one that feels this is a major problem!

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Don't believe that this has been changed. Given the ease that RIM has included in the Backup/Restore process to allow users to restore old backups to new Devices, in order to ease the update process, I think the fact that RIM has not included restoring applications is probably there to protect their software development partners.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

gritsinct no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Well, it was worth asking. Thanks for the info!