Hello… I have been a blackberry user for quite a while. I have been lucky ... RIM Desktop Software forum

TheTinRam no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Differences between BES and Desktop redirector

Advertisement

Hello…

I have been a blackberry user for quite a while. I have been lucky enough to always be on a BES server. Lately my company’s IT department’s BES policies are driving me nuts. For example they disabled the media card in by Pearl.

It is enough to make me consider going out on my own and just running desktop re-director. Since I have never used it however, I wanted to know the advantages\disadvantages of doing this.

Re-director will wirelessly send email to my blackberry, but will it also send my Outlook calendar, contacts, tasks and notes? I guess I am one of the few people that actually uses notes in Outlook so it is important to me that it also gets synched. BES 4 is so wonderful as it not only sends these items to my BB also keeps them in perfect sync all wirelessly so I don’t have to do anything at all.

So am I going to miss BES that much? I have the feeling that I will. Pity its expensive software, otherwise I would run my own little BES server, wouldn’t that be nice.

digitalslack no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23D1981A

Re: Differences between BES and Desktop redirector

I'm not super familar with BES but i do know that the redirector will sync everything in outlook, regardless of the type of outlook connection.
    It doesn't allow me 100% seamless integration with my saved emails but we have OWA/MWA so that allows me access to the items that the redirector doesn't.

TheTinRam no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Re: Differences between BES and Desktop redirector

Quote Originally Posted by digitalslack
    the redirector will sync everything in outlook, regardless of the type of outlook connection.
    Thanks for the reply. Can you confirm:

1) If I update my "Notes" or "contacts" in Outlook, Desktop Redirector will wirelessly send it to my BB
    2) If I update my "Memo Pad" or "Address Book" on my BB will it wirelessly update my Oulook?

Thanks again.

jerrycrabb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe4It

Re: Differences between BES and Desktop redirector

Quote Originally Posted by TheTinRam
    Hello…

I have been a blackberry user for quite a while. I have been lucky enough to always be on a BES server. Lately my company’s IT department’s BES policies are driving me nuts. For example they disabled the media card in by Pearl.

It is enough to make me consider going out on my own and just running desktop re-director. Since I have never used it however, I wanted to know the advantages\disadvantages of doing this.

Re-director will wirelessly send email to my blackberry, but will it also send my Outlook calendar, contacts, tasks and notes? I guess I am one of the few people that actually uses notes in Outlook so it is important to me that it also gets synched. BES 4 is so wonderful as it not only sends these items to my BB also keeps them in perfect sync all wirelessly so I don’t have to do anything at all.

So am I going to miss BES that much? I have the feeling that I will. Pity its expensive software, otherwise I would run my own little BES server, wouldn’t that be nice.
    Just out of curiosity, a friend and I have been looking at creating our own BES.
    RIM express software is Free! From what I understand its still the full software but limits your CAL's to 14. This would be more than enough for us.
    If you pursue this, please PM me I hope there is much that we could learn from each other.

Thanks,

Jerry
    Build a man a fire and he shall be warm for the night. Catch a man on fire and he shall be warm for the rest of his life!