[FONT=Arial] Ok, i really am desperate now. I've posted on these issues, got advice and ... RIM Desktop Software forum

StraightLine no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs down Desperate Windows/BB user seeks Desktop guru with a view to meaningful relationship

Advertisement

[FONT=Arial]Ok, i really am desperate now.

I've posted on these issues, got advice and sadly, it's not working.

I'm an accomplished windows/pc/pda/geek type and I now have my first BB 8300 Curve. it's great, fantabulous the best device I’ve ever had and I’ve booted my O2 windows mobile device out the window but (and it's a biiig but) the desktop manager (4.2.2 ) is letting the team down.

I want two (not overly complex) things from BB that are utterly consequential to the fast moving road warrior and I'm just not getting them.

- I want to be able to effectively sync my laptop's XP PRO OUTLOOK 2003 Calendar/Contacts/Task/Notes to my BB. The bug issues in 4.2.2 are resulting in re-current duplication of Calendar entries and the available RIM patch doesn't fix the issue and I've re-installed twice. Where to from here ?

- I'm independent of a large corporation and neither I or my service provider are using a BES. I can see no reason that I shouldn't be able to sync my BB "sent" email to OUTLOOK via USB and no reason that I should be penalised for being an independent entrepreneur. If I'm using the BB effectively as a business tool it stands to reason that I need to be able to sync the emails I send via BB back to my main piece of hardware. I've re-installed twice, ticked BIS etc, still not working. Where to from here ?

So here's the rub, RIM have the best/most stable device on the market and CURVE finally brings BB to the table of full functional integration but it's been let down by a piece of desktop software. I ask the hard question, if Microsoft ActiveSync can do it, why can't RIM/BB ?

I look forward to all guru-like wit and wisdom

Straightline
    [/FONT]

Klotar no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    207BADEB

Re: Desperate Windows/BB user seeks Desktop guru with a view to meaningful relationsh

First off, I don't have a Curve, so what I post to try to help needs to have that taken into consideration. I have an 8800, on BIS. I consider myself an intermediate user, not advanced.

- I want to be able to effectively sync my laptop's XP PRO OUTLOOK 2003 Calendar/Contacts/Task/Notes to my BB. The bug issues in 4.2.2 are resulting in re-current duplication of Calendar entries and the available RIM patch doesn't fix the issue and I've re-installed twice. Where to from here ?

I am running XP Pro, Outlook 2003 and am able to sync Calendar, Contacts, Tasks and Notes to my BB via USB without Calendar duplication issues. Now that I know "a BB" (i.e. my BB) is capable of doing those, if given your situation that I subsequently got a Curve and found that these things weren't working, my first reaction would be to try to upgrade or downgrade OS's. I know you installed the Calendar patch and from what I'd read, the Curve does [did] initially have some sort of problem with the Calendar.

All that said, have you tried 1) installing the latest handheld OS, and 2) installing the latest version of Desktop Manager? If you have to one or both, have you tried rolling back one or the other also? I'm going to wait on going further with this part of my answer based on what you've done so far but I and others will monitor this post and try to help if able.

- I'm independent of a large corporation and neither I or my service provider are using a BES. I can see no reason that I shouldn't be able to sync my BB "sent" email to OUTLOOK via USB and no reason that I should be penalised for being an independent entrepreneur. If I'm using the BB effectively as a business tool it stands to reason that I need to be able to sync the emails I send via BB back to my main piece of hardware. I've re-installed twice, ticked BIS etc, still not working. Where to from here ?

Now here is what seems sort of odd. Let me explain:

I found it rather annoying that every message I sent out from my BB not only appeared as new incoming messages in Outlook 2003, but also that it got sent back to my handheld. I ended up using a filter on the BIS site to not send messages FROM myself back to the handheld -and- a filter in Outlook to find messages from myself, mark them as read and move them to my Sent Mail folder. It sounds as if you would like to have what I considered to be an annoyance as a feature.

First off, some BIS review and a bit about my setup just to cover the bases before we go forward. I use one primary email account, let's call it xxx@yyy.com. I do not have it set up as an address in BIS, instead I auto forward all mail from xxx@yyy.com to my BIS address: zzzz@carrier.blackberry.net. My BIS account does not poll my xxx@yyy.com email account, it just receives the forwarded mail. It then sends it to my handheld. Also, when I later go to my Outlook locally and retrieve mail from my xxx@yyy.com account, I get the mail that was sent to my handheld. So far, so good: all my inbound mail is sent to both my BB and desktop.

Now, I do, as do most of us, have several email accounts. But instead of setting them up in BIS as most do, I have all those other email addresses (Yahoo, Pinstack, Crackberry, Gmail, etc.) forward to my xxx@yyy.com account, and NOT my @carrier.blackberry.net address. This has an advantage that all inbound mail gets sent instantly to my handheld and I get a copy in Outlook. This has one slight disadvantage only if I want to reply FROM one of those forwarded addresses, then it's harder to because I don't have these accounts set up in BIS to be able to choose my reply-to address (each account set up in BIS has a service book; and doing it the way I do, I only have one service book and not several). However, I get around that by using Pocket Day Pro to reply instead, with which I can set all my reply-to addresses up and use those instead. We will get into that later if needed after we solve your primary problems.

Now, as mentioned earlier, with my setup the way that I described above, I was getting back my own outbound emails twice, once on my handheld and once in Outlook. Although I briefly described how I filtered things out the way I liked, we can get into more detail once we get you to the point of getting your outbound emails in the first place (which from your description sounds like it isn't happening but you'd like it to). So to reiterate, when I log into my BIS account on the web, I see only ONE account there, my @carrier.blackberry.net account, and all my other email addresses forward to my xxx@yyy.com account, which in turn forwards to the @carrier.blackberry.net account. This is what keeps my BB and Outlook in sync (this extra step), since unlike BES, BIS doesn't "truly" sync. If you have concerns that this might be slow to receive emails, worry not: email forwarding in instantaneous, faster than having the accounts polled for by BIS, by far.

I think we can solve your problems except the Calendar issue, which I have no experience with and perhaps a Curve guru can help you better. But we should be able to get the other things you want working.

Edit: fixed some grammatical errors.
    Last edited by Klotar; 09-02-2007 at 11:15 AM.
    -Klotar
    Supervising Manager of the Department of Redundancy Department.

PIN/ID
    207BADEB

Re: Desperate Windows/BB user seeks Desktop guru with a view to meaningful relationsh

I would guess that you are running the latest handheld OS and it looks to me like you are running the latest Desktop Manager.

Have you tried the workaround at the bottom of this article? (sure, read the whole thing but I think you've done most of that, the part at the bottom might be new and relevant).

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/searc...200%2035260465
    -Klotar

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: Desperate Windows/BB user seeks Desktop guru with a view to meaningful relationship

Quote Originally Posted by StraightLine
    Solution given here, Curve Calendar Patch, worked fine for my curve. I have not had a problem since I installed it. There is a Handheld software package that incorporates the fix available.

RIM Applications do not "Sync" email. Email is reconciled. RIM Designed Blackberry devices to be used in conjunction with the BES, so there was no need to "sync" the email with the Desktop. BIS was added to give, non-BES users the ability to receive email to the BB. It was later expanded to allow additional Email accounts, that could be accessed with Outlook and the BB, and further refined to allow partial reconciliation with the email servers of certain types of those accounts. RIM has not seen fit to provide a method of syncing email to the desktop. You might look into using a Hosted BES service if you absolutely have to have reconciled email on your Desktop and BB.

Sorry
    Rcbjr.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Re: Desperate Windows/BB user seeks Desktop guru with a view to meaningful relationship

excellent replies folks, will look into it further. just for the record, have a gut feeling that having had multiple PDA's operating off the same outlook for the past few years may have resulted in some issues around the OUTLOOK 'profiles' config which may in turn be impacting on this duplication issue. i've done some research into refining the OUTLOOK profile but nothing concrete has turned up however if you, Rcbjr, have the calendar patch working fine with a CURVE and DM 4.2.2 I can't figure why it wouldn't be working with me.

more replies welcome and if anyone else is having the issue i'd love to know.

Klotar, thanks for the workaround, will have a go at putting it into practice but man, you've put in some hard yards there ! For the benefit of any RIM developers lurking in Pinstack, wouldn't it be easier to just have a straight asciii data exchange for email built into DM for non BES users ?

cheers

StaightLine

PIN/ID
    207BADEB

Quote Originally Posted by StraightLine
    Klotar, thanks for the workaround
    Rcbjr is right, in that with BIS, you can't really have BES-type mail reconciliation.

But you can come close. With that work-around, and all mail routed in and out through a different account other than the @carrier.blackberry.net one, I'm able to have Outlook match my BB (until the mail on the BB is autodeleted due to age, that is) and have a record of all outgoing mails sent from the BB. While that doesn't take care of moving mail around in folders, etc., I'm just happy to have a fairly decent way to keep the two reconciled.

It's not as bad as it sounds, I'm just not too hot at explaining myself well.

Edit: Ohhh, I left out one step, which might be ALL you need to get your outbound emails over to your Outlook (the rest would be just keeping things tidy via filters). In your BIS setup, auto-bcc your emails to the email address that you use with Outlook. That is, have the Reply-To and Auto-bcc addresses the same. THEN (if you want), set up a BIS filter to not send mail from that email address back to your handheld (otherwise, you get what you just sent out from the BB back on your BB). Finally (again, if you want), set up a filter in Outlook to mark your messages from yourself to be marked as read and move it automatically to your Outlook's Sent folder using the same filter.
    Last edited by Klotar; 09-03-2007 at 02:34 AM.
    -Klotar

hi folks, took a few days to go bush and clear my head of all software issues. have come back with renewed vigour and have found a solution to the calendar issue which i just posted on the DM software forum and implemented most of your ideas Klotar, which seem to be working. there's a few messy bits by way if imap filters etc but it's mostly good. will give you a hoy if i'm still unable to tidy it up properly.

thanks for the input

SL