Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I had a problem with both 4.6 and 4.7. It wouldn't back up phone just ... RIM Desktop Software forum

automan69 no está en línea Stack level 3

Advertisement

I had a problem with both 4.6 and 4.7. It wouldn't back up phone just got half way doing it and get an error?
    I drop down to 4.5 and all is good!~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

macallik no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I have no issues with the speed of my DM 4.7. Mine is actually faster with syncing my Bold. I have Vista Ultimate 64bit also.

dspeclst no está en línea Stack level 2
    I upgraded to 4.7 and it worked fine for a moment. Know I don't have a working laptop. I was getting a error message and then the blue screen of death.

Davidcm2112 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    305671C6
    I have been lucky, im using 4.6 OS on the 8220 with DTM 4.7. The new 4.7 seems much quicker to me and thus far I have not had any problems with it. I especially like how quick the device powers back on now after I load a new theme onto it. About a quarter of the time it took using DTM 4.6.

txbd75a no está en línea Stack level 1

Go back to DM 4.3

Desktop Manager versions starting with v4.5 (and 4.6 and 4.7) changed the way that it syncs with you phone. What used to take 20-30 seconds for me (with 2,100 contacts) now takes 7-8 minutes, which makes it worthless for me. If you watch the messages, you'll see that it slowly and repeatedly reads the pc's and BB's databases just to sync. The old version just did a very fast read of both and it was done.

I've called RIM 3 or 4 times on this and they always say they've never heard of this problem - even though it's all over the web! just google "blackberry desk manager slow synching" and you'll get a ton of hits. I have no idea why they are on their 3rd software update and still haven't fixed it.

Good news: It's easy to fix:

1. Uninstall any old versions of DM. When the uninstall starts, it will ask if you want to erase all DM files. Some people like a pure clean install and some don't care. It's your choice. If you say to delete all DM files, you'll just have to re-setup your file links when you install again.

2. Download Desktop Manager v4.3 - it should be on the RIM site or you can find it on the web

3. Install Desktop Manager v4.3

That's it! Syncing your BB and your PC files (Outlook, Notes, etc.) should be back to a sub-minute speed.

txbd75a no está en línea Stack level 1

Go back to DM 4.3

P.S. This may not affect all BB's. Some people seem okay with the new versions. However, everyone I know says this is a pretty pervasive problem.

Homeuser66 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    208D9C8E
    Yes, Txbd75a is correct!!

PDXOR no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by txbd75a View Post
    Desktop Manager versions starting with v4.5 (and 4.6 and 4.7) changed the way that it syncs with you phone. What used to take 20-30 seconds for me (with 2,100 contacts) now takes 7-8 minutes, which makes it worthless for me. If you watch the messages, you'll see that it slowly and repeatedly reads the pc's and BB's databases just to sync. The old version just did a very fast read of both and it was done.
    Same for my 8310 ever since "upgrading" my DM from 4.2 to 4.6 recently. I have a similar number of contacts. I've timed it, and the 4.6 DM version seems to read files at a rate of only about 10 per second. That's about one tenth the speed of the old 4.2. And 4.6 is equally sluggish with calendar entries, memos, etc. Grr.

I've thought about downgrading back to 4.2 or 4.3. Any big downside, folks? Will DM 4.3 play well with my new 4.5 device OS? That part is working well, thankfully!

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    My only question would be when installing higher DM versions are you doing a clean uninstall of your older version before installing the new one or just overwriting and letting the installer remove the older version?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12