Greetings! With contusions still smarting after falling off the GTD wagon, I knew it would ... RIM Desktop Software forum

danieleburro no está en línea Stack level 1

Desktop Manager: Task Dates set 356 Years in the Future!

Advertisement

Greetings!

With contusions still smarting after falling off the GTD wagon, I knew it would be best for all whom I love (including me) to spring back upon its sturdy frame.

So, I purchased a 7130g (and after benefiting from the aid of cherrichiodo this unlocked phone was "really" unlocked), configured the Desktop Manager 4.2 SP2 Intellisync application, and synchronized my BlackBerry tasks with those in my Outlook 2000 *.pst file.

A conflict warning popped up regarding the recommendation to set my Outlook task dates to 356-years in the future. I selected the re-synch option and clicked the Update, Apply to all conflicts option to update the values FROM Outlook TO the 7130g. All was well in the sphere of GTD-Blackberry-Outlook "stuff management".

At my next synchronization process, all went terribly wrong. No joy! Intellisync's logic determined that 81 of my 92 Outlook tasks needed to be updated with due dates and start dates that are 356-years in the future. Ugh.

The steps, given below, relate what I've completed thus far in attempting to rectify this productivity killing bug. Note: I reran the sync after each and every one of the detailed actions and each time the problem reared its fang-face and hocked spittle at me.

Here are the actions:

a) Updated my 7130g OS version 4.2.1 to the most current AT&T 4.2.1 (release 154)
    b) Wiped the BB OS and reinstalled the AT&T 4.2.1
    c) Deleted the Intellisync folder on my PC and reconfigured the application
    d) Reviewed the logfiles and found nothing to indicate failure of logic or business rules
    e) Upgraded from Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2007. Imported all of my tasks, calendar items, contacts, and folders from the Outlook 2000 *.pst into my brand-spanking new, ribbon-enabled Outlook 2007 *.pst
    f) Deleted the Intellisync folder (again)
    g) Reset from my iPhone_Zen_2 theme to the default BB theme
    h) SOS! HELP! Plea for aid and comfort posted to the fine folks contributing to and benefiting one another in the advancing knowledge of BlackBerry related technologies!

Thanks to all,

Remaining Joyfully About Business,

Daniel

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: Desktop Manager: Task Dates set 356 Years in the Future!

This is weird. If your not on BES ... try toggling the "on conficts" who wins settings

danieleburro no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Desktop Manager: Task Dates set 356 Years in the Future!

Greetings!

It appears my troubles were resulting from the Desktop Manager application logic being unable to deal with a renamed *.pst.

As detailed below, since sometime in 2000 my normal course has been to move the *.pst to a more easily accessible folder than the \user\settings\blah\blah\blah default AND to rename "outlook.pst" FROM this default TO something more descriptive of what it contains.

Apparently, anything other than "outlook.pst" causes logic errors.

The following is the longer story made available for those not slabbering over the www.engadget.com or www.tuaw.com iPhone features-functions-and-ah-ha's smorgasbord.

Joy at last after enduring a most punishing process. This was as detailed below:

a) Complete (low-level hard-drive format) reinstall of Windows XP pro.
    1) Necessitated after installing Microsoft's Windows Destop Search program
    2) This program permeated my entire system and rendered it less responsive than a slug besotted on iPhone kool-aid.
    3. Really, my Dell Latitude D510 w/ 512MB RAM devolved from a speedy machine to an unusable one.

b) Reinstall of Office 2000 Outlook as I did not care for the new and improved 2007 version

1) Did NOT rename the *.pst to one more easily identifiable as per my normal course since 2000
    i) I normally rename FROM outlook.pst TO something like "daniel-olk-2000.pst"
    ii) As I have needed to transport the *.pst file from one job location to another (prior to my laptop purchase), I found it easier to know what this file was named and where i.e., "d:\outlook\daniel-olk-2000.pst" I could readily find it.
    2) Imported tasks, calendar, and contacts from my previously used *.pst into this newly created one.
    c) Reinstall of Desktop Manager
    1) Defaults were accepted with the exception of the calendar (previous 180 days, future 180 days)
    2) Ensured the Intellisync "bridge" or "conduit" was linking to the default "outlook.pst"

d) First synch
    1) All joy
    2) No date issues encountered

e) Second synch
    1) After renaming "outlook.pst" to my normal "something-xyz-daniel.pst"
    2) No joy
    3) Task dates set years ahead, years behind, and otherwise scrambled

f) Third synch
    1) Renamed to default "outlook.pst"
    2) Two task start dates set to someday in 1915
    i) Set the Outlook to update the BlackBerry

3) All joy