Hello everyone, New to the forums here, but I am looking to fix a specific ... RIM Desktop Software forum

lemonlaw no está en línea Stack level 1

Desktop Manager Sync Issue

Advertisement

Hello everyone,

New to the forums here, but I am looking to fix a specific problem. I have a Pearl 8100 with Desktop Manager 4.2.1 installed. The blackberry was sync'ing normally for a time, then it would crash with no specific messages in the error logs.

I tried every solution I could find from the blackberry website KB articles (and searching the web) and now when the blackberry is connected to the USB, the software states "Working" but there is no indication of any records sync'ing and you can't access the "Synchronize Now" module of the application. The blackberry shows that it is connected, but there is no indication there that it is finished sync'ing.

In the end peformed a complete uninstall / reinstall that included deleting the registry keys from the computer (Windows XP, sp2 with Outlook 2003 - corporate network running Exchange 2003) and all folders/files, reboot between each step, etc. Still I the same issue as above.

Note that while we are on a corporate network, the blackberry uses the Internet Service where email is forwarded from the corporate to an outside account.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help or insight.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Re: Desktop Manager Sync Issue

lemonlaw - where are you getting the DM application for install? the disk or from RIM?

you would probably need to create a profile to use the sync tool. its been soo long since i initially set all of this up...does DM show connected? or just working?

Hey cherrichiodo, thanks for the fast reply. I downloaded the latest version of DM from the RIM website about 2 weeks ago.

One of the things I did was blow away the Outlook profile from the machine/Outlook and then reconnect to create a new, local, profile for Outlook. This was done while I did the complete uninstall/reinstall. I then conneceted DM to the new profile.

DM simply shows "Working", but I can leave it on for hours and it doesn't change.

How about simply wiping the blackberry and resetting it to default settings?

rcmpayne no está en línea Stack level 1

go download 4.2 SP2 DTM from blackberry.com

Install then go to

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\

delete the Intellisync folder

then do the sync again

acho123 no está en línea Stack level 1

Lemonlaw - did you end up finding a solution for your problem? I also have a Pearl and running DM 4.2.1, and every 4 or so syncs I get an error in the middle of synchronization - it seems to stop mid-way through the sync records.

Quote Originally Posted by acho123
    Lemonlaw - did you end up finding a solution for your problem? I also have a Pearl and running DM 4.2.1, and every 4 or so syncs I get an error in the middle of synchronization - it seems to stop mid-way through the sync records.
    Not yet. I am going to try downloading SP2 and doing a complete uninstall/reinstall and see if this works. I can't remember if I download sp2 or not the last time I messed with it. I will give it shot and re-post.

Oftentimes, with the syncs', I find the blowing away the Calendar on the blackberry (from Backup/Restore - Advanced) and resync'ing fixes a general sync problem, but it tends to resurface on occasion. Most likely this is due to a recurring appointment or an appointment with an attachment.

Another thing you can do is click "View Log" from the Synchronization screen and it will show you RIM.log and you can see where the sync stops. Generally, this last record is the source of the problem.

jestar15 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    400DD044

lemonlaw

does your DTM still just show 'Working' when the BB is tethered to the desktop? If so, I would try to hard reset it while it's stuck in progress, just remove the battery and pop it back in.

_Bulz_Eye_ no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32c2287a

anyone have the link for the sp2?

julescurt no está en línea Stack level 1

Hey - to anyone still wrestling with this - I had the same thing with my 8800. Couple of solutions - when you install SP2, make sure that you REMOVE the previous version first, otherwise you will have BOTH versions running - who knows which one is causing the problem then?!? I still had the crash happening right after sync'ing, but deleting the intellisync folder (see previous notes) fixed that - I just had to set up the applications for sync'ing again.

Hope that helps someone!