I posted this question on the end of another post but was unrelated to the ... RIM Desktop Software forum

Klotar no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    207BADEB

Desktop Manager Question

Advertisement

I posted this question on the end of another post but was unrelated to the topic so it probably won't get answered:

I installed DM on two machines, a home PC and a laptop. I installed using the CD that came with the phone. All is well.

I then decided to upgrade the OS and DM to the latest version to unlock the hidden vendor themes. All went well, everything is working fine. I did that on my home PC, which means the version of DM on my laptop is now an older version.

Assuming that it's "not good" to leave the old version of DM on the laptop, is there anything I should watch for when upgrading that version?

To be more specific, when I upgraded DM on the home PC, I followed the stickied instructions to download the latest DM/OS, deleted the vendor file, replaced the alx, etc. etc. Since the phone now already has everything the way I want it, will upgrading the DM on the laptop cause any problems? Should I still delete the vendor file and replace the alx? Or will DM "know" that my OS doesn't need upgrading and not prompt me to do so? Should I have made note of what options and languages I didn't include, etc. when I did the home PC upgrade and try to choose the same options on the laptop? Any 'gotchas' from those that have done similar that I should know of, or am I overworrying about nothing?

kayos72 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me

Re: Desktop Manager Question

I'm going to say the two PC's will need to be the same, otherwise you may run into a downgrade when you plug in to the older DM.
    just a thought but thats what i'm going to say.
    see what the others say as well
    Been a long while since last login. Sorry all, adjusting to a new life is great and hell at the same time!!

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

im going to have to agree with kayos.

what is your reasoning for wanting to have DM on both PC and your laptop? which do you use more? im just curious
    Last edited by glehman85; 05-20-2007 at 02:17 PM.

Crewdawg257 no está en línea BES Pro

These gentlemen are correct, there is no good reason to have different versions on multiple computers. It's not worth the hassle.
    --
    I suspect that Microsoft Access is nothing but Microsoft Excel with a VBScript wrapper.
    - Unknown

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

I agree with everyone above.

In addition I would like to ad that I use multiple computers myself with Destkop Manager on each. I also use several different BB models. It's important for you to know that the short version of the story is: Please be sure you are using the "Exact Same Version" of DM on each computer. Not only that, if you find a version that you really like, I would strongly encourage you to save a copy of it on whatever you use as backup media.

Regarding my personal preferences. There are times when newer software is not always better software. Therefore I do not always run the newest version unless if offers upgrades that would benefit me directly. As a result the version I'm using may not always be available on the download site as they post the newer versions. Thus the reason I'm suggesting that an extra, clean backup copy is invaluable. Especially if your computer crashes and you want to reload the same software that was on it.

Hope this helps you.

Cheers...

Klotar no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    207BADEB

Thanks everyone for the good advice.

I spend more time on the road (Mon - Fri) than I do at home (Sat - Sun), yet I do most work with the phone (well, my previous phones really, since I just got my BB) at home. I will probably phase one out now that you've made me think about it. Initially, it was for backup but since DM does backups anyways, I suppose there isn't much point.

I must admit that I almost needed one of those backup restores already, as I wiped out my Outlook Express contacts (on purpose) and DM was set to auto sync when I connected next, and it almost wiped all my contacts from my phone.

I think I will upgrade DM on the laptop until my travel period slows down, then I'll phase it out and just stick to the home PC. I was actually considering also installing it on the desktop PC at work but it's starting to look like that's not a good plan either, hehe.

Thanks again.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Here's how I use mine as an example. Thats what I love about this forum is the sharing that we do. It puts ideas out there for all of us to benefit and learn from.

The reason I use DM on three different computers is as follows.

1) I manage all my work in Outlook 2003.
    2) I use 2 different laptops for work travel. (too long of a story and not relevant here)
    3) I use another laptop at home. (thus 3 computers)
    4) I use a minimum of three different BlackBerry's depending on what I want to carry.
    5) Therefore by having all the setups the same, I can switch BB's quite easily.
    6) No risk of data loss, corruption, or confusion

I like to use a full size BB for work, and a smaller one like the 7130 or Pearl when out in the evenings or on the weekends.

With this setup it makes it fast and easy to switch to the BB of choice in seconds.

Cheers....)

SkUbA0 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    240A0BB8

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~yes you have to make it the same on both or else the laptop will try to reinstall the cingular os. It is not a bad thing to have dm on both machines as long as you keep the os's installed the same. But if its not it will promt you to upgrade and you can always say no, so in that respect you don't have to have the same version, but...