My storm just went out on me this morning so I needed to use the ... RIM Desktop Software forum

BES Noob no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    just ask

Desktop Manager keeps shutting down everytime I need to use it.

Advertisement

My storm just went out on me this morning so I needed to use the Desktop manager to reload the new OS and everytime I seem to utilize the Desktop manager it seems to close itself within about 1-2 minutes of usage. I've had this problem for quite sometime now and have removed and reloaded the desktop manager on my computer with no luck. It still seems to do this. Has anyone ever ran into this issue before? I am on 4.7 currently. This started happening when I was on 4.3 and has continued to do this now.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Noob, go through the clean DM uninstall thread in the link in my signature. You also should check into the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility once you've done the clean uninstall, then try and reinstall DM again. I'll post the link for the utility here in a second.

Don't forget, when you uninstall DM, it's going to take the OS with it, so you'll ned to reinstall the OS, too.

Here is the link for the article and the utility.

PIN/ID
    just ask
    Thanks Roger I will look into it right now.

PIN/ID
    just ask
    Just utilized the Windows installer cleanup utility and removed the Desktop Manager. I go to control panel add/remove programs and it would not allow me to remove the desktop manager. So I figured if I just reinstalled it that it should work. I reinstalled it and tried to do the back up and restore and no bueno, it shut off on me again. Any thoughts?

I should've clarified that you do the uninstall first, then the installer cleanup which removes remnants left over, if there are any.

Go through the thread I mentioned above to go into the registry and get the rest of the stuff out that way.

Reboot your PC/laptop after you've removed the registry items. Something's pretty messed up for sure.

PIN/ID
    just ask
    Thank You I will do that! Since I don't work for Daimler anymore and lent out my other backup BB its put me on edge without having my baby working! Did you see my post about my Storm issue? Are you familiar with that by any chance?

rifraf2009 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Just a quick question. What IS the latest version of DM? Isn't it 5.0.1 or something like that?

fatboy97 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by rifraf2009 View Post
    Just a quick question. What IS the latest version of DM? Isn't it 5.0.1 or something like that?
    Yes, it's DM 5.0.1... if you're not sure check the link in my signature... it goes directly to Blackberry.com's website for DM.

rifraf2009 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Ok, I just saw where he was running 4.7 and I know I had updated mine about a week ago, and thought that it was 5.0.1. My computer recently crashed, and I had to completely reinstall everything. I was running 4.7 and had similar issues, but mostly that it just seemed to not want to open at all. And then when it would, after a few minutes it would just shut down. I didn't think much of it because I was having other issues with my computer at the time. But when I got it back, and reinstalled DM it showed me there was an update. And I honestly haven't had any problems at all out of the first update (5.0) or the most recent one (5.0.1). Not really sure if that would help, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

PIN/ID
    just ask
    Removed the desktop software first in the control panel then used the windows cleanup utility to remove any remnants of software and there was none so I went ahead and setup. 5.0.01 and Once it was fully installed on my computer I go to do a back up and restore and it does the same exact thing. I'm completely lost right now. Any advice?

What OS are you running on your PC?

PIN/ID
    just ask
    Windows XP

This issue has been this way since I set this computer up.

Ah HA! I think we've found our answer.....YOU set the computer up.

Kidding, of course.

Seriously, I don't know what to tell you. Have you tried the 4.6 DM yet? I know the later releases of DM were built with compatibility of Vista and Windows 7 in mind. 4.6 was the most solid version I can remember.

Run through all the steps in order again:

1. Uninstall DM.
    2. Clean the registry
    3. Check for any remnants with the installer utility
    4. Reboot your PC
    5. Install DM 4.6