Although Desktop Manager is fairly straight forward, there are some subtle issues with installing it. ... RIM Desktop Software forum

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Desktop Manager - Installing, Media Manager, and Vista

Advertisement

Although Desktop Manager is fairly straight forward, there are some subtle issues with installing it. Here are some general and specific guidelines for dealing with them.
    1. Always uninstall an older version of Desktop Manager before installing a newer version. Usually using the Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs (XP) or Programs and Features (Vista) will suffice. However, some older versions don't uninstall cleanly. If you're having strange problems after upgrading from version 4.1 or earlier, refer to the section BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 and earlier here.
    2. The Desktop Manager installation package is actually a self extracting Zip file that automatically runs the actual installer (BlackBerrySetup.exe). If you simply run the EXE you download, the package will extract to your Temp directory and run BlackBerrySetup.exe from there. The problem here is that if you want to modify your installation at a later time (like change from BIS to BES), there's a good chance that the full package will no longer be available in the Temp directory and you'll have to re-install instead. Best practice is to use a utility such as WinZip to extract the contents of the EXE you download to an empty directory and run BlackBerrySetup.exe from there. I keep a directory C:\Windows\Options and extract to a subdirectory under that - BBDesktop42SP2 for example, in which case I'd run C:\Windows\Options\BBDesktop42SP2\BlackBerrySetup. exe to install.
    3. When installing under Vista, always Right Click the installation EXE and select Run As Administrator. Failing to do this may result in unexpected results! If you have insufficient rights to do this, find someone that does! Of course, you should have Administrator level rights under XP also.
    4. Do NOT install any version of Desktop Manager earlier than 4.2 SP1. Earlier versions are NOT Vista ready, and are not fully Daylight Savings Time 2007 compliant.
    5. RIM now has Desktop Manager 4.2 SP2 available without (Roxio) Media Manager. If you're running Vista, use this version. Roxio does not play nicely with Vista! Even if you're not running Vista, I recommend saving yourself the extra 180Mb of (slow) download and over 200 Mb extra installation of Roxio Media Manager. Roxio is overkill for what essentially boils down to copying files to an SD card. You can also download the Media Manager version and select a Custom installation and deselect Media Manager during the installation. If you extract the package as described above (#2), you can also uninstall / install Media Manager using Add/Remove Programs (or Programs and Features in Vista) at a later time.
    Last edited by jdellasala; 07-23-2007 at 12:15 PM.
    JerryD

woodi68 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    woodi68

Re: Desktop Manager - Installing, Media Manager, and Vista

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Good stuff!

Chris_etc no está en línea Stack level 1

This is very helpful as I know several people that had been having problems with the desktop software especially using it with Vista. GOOD JOB!

EricScott no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by jdellasala
    1. RIM now has Desktop Manager 4.2 SP2 available without (Roxio) Media Manager. If you're running Vista, use this version. Roxio does not play nicely with Vista! Even if you're not running Vista, I recommend saving yourself the extra 180Mb of (slow) download and over 200 Mb extra installation of Roxio Media Manager. Roxio is overkill for what essentially boils down to copying files to an SD card. You can also download the Media Manager version and select a Custom installation and deselect Media Manager during the installation. If you extract the package as described above (#2), you can also uninstall / install Media Manager using Add/Remove Programs (or Programs and Features in Vista) at a later time.
    I have XP SP2 (sorry if this is slightly OT) and installed DM 4.2 SP2 with Roxio. I am trying to remove Roxio but can't figure out how. I can't find it listed in Add/Remove Programs and can't see an uninstall icon. I tried uninstalling DM 4.2 SP2 entirely and that only removed DM but left Roxio. Tried reinstalling the full version (w/ Roxio) doing a custom install and unchecking Roxio but that didn't work either.

Any ideas on how to remove this clunky, crappy piece of software from my PC?

fritter no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

funny thing is my first machine with vista business i had issues with installing roxio. but then i upgraded my laptop with vista ultimate and roxio installed just fine not sure what happened but it was the same machine just different vista.

enikolayev no está en línea Stack level 2

is there a way to copy media files to an sd card without DM? i have looked in settings and what does mass storage mode do?

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Quote Originally Posted by enikolayev
    is there a way to copy media files to an sd card without DM? i have looked in settings and what does mass storage mode do?
    First, format the card in the BlackBerry (Settings/Tools -->) Options --> Advanced Options --> Media Card. Click the wheel/menu button and select Format Card. This will set up the card with the correct device format and lay out the correct directory structure for the BlackBerry. Here's the Directory structure it creates:
    \BlackBerry
    \music
    \pictures
    \ringtones
    \system (this is created by Windows and is hidden - you may not see it)
    \videos
    You now have two options.

The first, which you probably don't want to do too often, especially with an 8100, is to put the (micro)SD Card into an SD Card adapter and use it on your computer as a disk drive. This is the fastest way to do your first big transfer of media.

The second, which is better for day to day transfers of just a bit of data, is to use Mass Storage Mode when you plug your BlackBerry into your computer. You must have the option Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected (in the Media Card Options as above) set to either Prompt or Yes. You also need the device drivers installed. I haven't tried this lately, but with the BlackBerry connected and no drivers installed, Windows Update used to detect the device and install the drivers automatically. However, I haven't tried that since the 8100 came out (devices with SD cards). If that doesn't work, you'll need to install the drivers. Go to the BlackBerry Download Page and download and install the BlackBerry USB and Modem Drivers (English) or whatever language you need.

Now, when you connect your BlackBerry to your computer via the USB cable, the device's SD card will appear as a disk drive on your computer. If you set the above to Prompt, you will need to answer Yes or No to enabling Mass Storage Mode when connected. If you have a password on the device, you will need to enter it on the BlackBerry before the drive is available.

Your BlackBerry's SD card will now show up as a disk drive on your computer. Copy files to their logical location. You can also save any data (I recommend using a directory off the root called Data) for files you may want to have available to attach to emails (forms, etc.) or just handy data. You can open them on your computer, but even formats the BlackBerry recognizes as attachments can't be opened! The BlackBerry can only open recognized media formats (not PDF's, DOC's, etc.).

You can also transfer files via Bluetooth, but this requires a Microsoft Compliant Bluetooth device on your computer, and is slow! NOT recommended! I have no computers with Bluetooth, so I can't elaborate, but a search on the forums will probably answer any questions you have on it.
    JerryD

eburganjr no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    245F43BB

I'm just having no luck at all, I keep getting the USB Connect/Disconnect sounds for a good 2 minutes or so and then just nothing. Neither the computer nor DM recognizes it. Could my Pearl's theme have something to do with it?

enikolayev no está en línea Stack level 2

alright thanks allot for your help. the mass storage mode only works when its set to prompt. I guess since it has a password on it, and when its set to auto on, it doesn't even ask for the password. now this is much easier to use to transfer files instead of DM.

troy1001 no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs down Re: Desktop Manager - Installing, Media Manager, and Vista

here is a step by step and how it does not work
    1.Download v4.2_sp2 english (download time depnds on speed of PC and Service provider) 15mins for me
    2.Right click run as adminstrator
    3."do you want to run this file" - RUN
    4. Wait 2.5 minutes
    5. "A program needs your permission to continue" - DesE591.tmp- RUN
    6. Winzip self extractor kicks in for 1 minute
    7. Installer starts, nothing happens for 5 minutes
    8. Welcome to install shield NEXT
    9. Select country region (Canada english for me) even tried USA in 4th attempt (2mins)
    10. Accept terms NEXT
    11. User Name ____ Organization ______my pc name, install this application for "anyone who uses computer" NEXT
    12. Install BB software C:\Program Files\Research in Motion\Blackberry\ NEXT
    13. Please select setup type "Typical" NEXT
    14. Intergration Options select "BlackBerry Internet Service" NEXT
    15. Shortcut installation options Select "start DM each time PC starts" "create a shortcut" NEXT
    16. ready to install INSTALL
    17. Searches for previous versions (35secs)
    18. Status bar stays empty for 2 minutes
    19. Error 2738. Could not access VBScript run time for custom action OK
    20. Install Wizard Completed The wizard was interrupted before software could be installed. your system was not modified.
    Click finish to exit
    Total time wasted 2o minutes not including download time.

So where did i go wrong?

borges107 no está en línea Stack level 1
    That is the same message i got. did u ever figure it out!

borges107 no está en línea Stack level 1
    i did it! i didnt load the one with the media, does that make a big difference?