I posted this at the end of another thread where a similar question was raised ... RIM Desktop Software forum

mweisheit no está en línea Stack level 1

Desktop Manager does not install correctly

Advertisement

I posted this at the end of another thread where a similar question was raised but wanted to start a new one so that it is more visible.

Unfortunately, I don't have the CD with me because I am moving and it is located in my boxes on a ship for 6 weeks. What luck!! But I need to reinstall desktop manager and have a problem downloading it. When I download the blackberry desktop software (v. 4.2 on download section of blackberry.com), it installs software but only the device manager opens up. When I go to Start>Programs>Blackberry>Device manager the device manager works fine and shows my BB connected via USB as well as with Bluetooth. When I try to open the Desktop Manager via the exe icon in Start>Programs>Blackberry>Desktop manager, the computer searches but does not find an associated program.

FYI - I also reinstalled the software 3 times already. The last time I followed (blackberryforum.pinstack.com/5127-how perform clean uninstall desktop manager.html) instructions.

For informational purpose if it makes a difference, I downloaded the software onto my computer rather than installing it directly from the website. I have a Dell Latitude D610 with MS XP Prof. v.5.1.2600.

Any suggestions so that the Device Manager will also be downloaded and works would be appreciated?

Thanks
    Last edited by mweisheit; 06-12-2007 at 05:04 AM.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: Desktop Manager does not download

Can you find this on your PC:
    ""C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\DesktopMgr.exe
    If not click "Start" / "Search" / "Files or Folders"

and search C: for "DesktopMgr.exe"

If you find it. Right click and chose "create shortcut" so it creates a shortcut to the desktop. You can also drag the desktop icon to Start>Programs>Blackberry>Desktop manager and then delete the broken one.

Thanks for replying.

The only file that I found in the search was DESKTOPMGR.EXE-0FCF2DF2.pf and it was located in c:\Windows\Prefetch. When I double-klick nothing happens.

FYI - the file that I downloaded to install Blackberry desktop sofware v.4.2 is called BlackBerry_Device_Manager_v4.2_(English).msi.

Could someone possibly post the software for Blackberry Desktop Manager so that I can download it and install it?

Any further suggestions?
    Last edited by mweisheit; 06-13-2007 at 10:34 AM.

shmengie no está en línea Stack level 4

weird. so, when you say yo downloaded 4.2 from blackberry, was that a 240mb download? cuz that's what it should be (roxio takes up most of that). if not, you didn't download the right thing. you might have downloaded just the device software. if your install.exe isn't that size, poke around the bb site some more. if it is that size, post back and we'll dig deeper.

edit: just reread your last post. yeah, the device software is just that. you need to find the full desktop manager software, which, like i said, i over 200mb!!

edit again: here ya go. aren't i nice? make sure you download v4.2 sp2.
    Last edited by shmengie; 06-13-2007 at 11:07 AM.

wabashtw0 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Everytime I try to download the 4.2 SP2, it never finishes always cancels out after a while. The no media edition or whatever downloads fine.

Thanks for replying shmengie

I downloaded 4.2 and 4.2 SP2.

4.2 I am able to install but as I mentioned it does not install the "Desktop Manager".

4.2 SP2 I am not able to open up. It is a Zip file of 11MB, when I click on it, I get an error message saying that this file is not a valid Win32 application.

Any futher advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

mudshovel no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

I had this problem before as well. go to add/remove programs on your pc and delete all installed version of Desktop Manager. Then go back to the BB website where 4.2 sp2 (english) is and re-download it. It should be more like a 50mb file if i remember correctly. then run the exe once it's done. should work then. i had to reboot my pc too.

Thanks for replying mushovel. I tried this but the SP2 exe file still does not work.
    I think I am going to go nuts. Everything else on my computer works just fine.