I've grabbed a couple themes from here and there, and have been trying to get ... RIM Desktop Software forum

welcher no está en línea Stack level 1

Desktop Manager ALWAYS updates software

Advertisement

I've grabbed a couple themes from here and there, and have been trying to get them installed (with no luck, but that's another thread).

Anyway, every time I try and do this, Desktop Manager wants to update the System Software as well, even though I've already done the update with the absolute latest everything, as of today.

That's strange enough. Stranger still, when it does this, it does a complete app wipe and reinstall, even though the "action column" for all that stuff says "None".

Using DM v4.2 SP2.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I've got a Pearl.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by welcher; 07-26-2007 at 10:59 PM.

PwDiamond no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249df67d

Re: Desktop Manager ALWAYS updates software

Welcher -

What OS are you running on the machine you're running DM on?

Quote Originally Posted by PwDiamond
    Welcher -

What OS are you running on the machine you're running DM on?
    Hi. I've tried on both XP and Win2k. Thanks.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

What pearl/device os is installed on your pc? Do u have more than one installed? Maybe u thought u updated your bb and u didn't? What os is on your bb? And what do u see in add/remove programs on your pc?

Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

What pearl/device os is installed on your pc? Do u have more than one installed? Maybe u thought u updated your bb and u didn't? What os is on your bb? And what do u see in add/remove programs on your pc?
    I downloaded the very latest stuff from bb.com today. 4.2.1, I believe. (Interesting that it only shows up as 4.2 on the blackberry itself, but then again, it only shows up as 4.2 on the download manager, as well).

I've done the reinstall/upgrade twice, so it SHOULD be in there!

Only one BB installed.

On Add/Remove programs, I see Desktop manager 4.2.2, and blackberry software for wireless 4.2.1 for the 8100.

PwDiamond no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249df67d

Quote Originally Posted by welcher
    I downloaded the very latest stuff from bb.com today. 4.2.1, I believe. (Interesting that it only shows up as 4.2 on the blackberry itself, but then again, it only shows up as 4.2 on the download manager, as well).

I've done the reinstall/upgrade twice, so it SHOULD be in there!

Only one BB installed.

On Add/Remove programs, I see Desktop manager 4.2.2, and blackberry software for wireless 4.2.1 for the 8100.
    When you say it's only showing "4.2" on the device, where are you seeing that data? Are you able to see what platform you're using? You would find all of this by clicking into "Options" and then "About"

Also, try a search on your machine for "Vendor.XML" (A few may come up, but look for the one in the directory with your blackberry software on your PC). If this file's corrupted or missing, the device will be wiped when you tether it and it will upgrade... this might be your problem.

Have you tried reinstalling your DM (I know you said you did the reinstall/upgrade twice, not sure if you meant for both the DM and the device O/S). If so, I'd try doing a complete CLEAN uninstall, which will require working in the registry some. I have a whitepaper somewhere here I'll find it and post the directions for that, though they're probably elsewhere in Pinstack as well.

You might try a complete kill of everything (not wipe), including the O/S on the device, and starting again there.

In "About", I see sw v4.2.1.96 (Platform 2.3.0.78), which all matches up with the latest file I downloaded.

Just tried a complete wipe and reinstall of DM4.2 SP2 and the latest 8100 software. Did ANOTHER upgrade with that, then got the SAME problem when I plugged the phone back in again. Wants to upgrade the system software again.

How do I do a complete kill of everything?