It's possible this is already known and has been posted. If redundant, my apologies. I'm ... RIM Desktop Software forum

vinmontRD no está en línea Stack level 3

Desktop 4.3 Woes - and Fixes

Advertisement

It's possible this is already known and has been posted. If redundant, my apologies. I'm posting here just in case somebody else runs into this - maybe it will help.

I've been running the Singapore Telecom release of the OS on my 8300 Curve since it came out.

I've also had the BB Desktop 4.2.2 version that went along with OS, until 4.3 desktop became available. I downloaded - and installed it - on top of 4.2.2. All seemed fine..until tonight.

I'm in the midst of beta testing something totally unrelated to the BB, except for the fact that it has to do with a keyboard and mouse driver that are on the same machine as the BB Desktop. I've had some trouble with the beta software/hardware, so I thought I'd clean up my PC as much as possible to see if that helped things. Over the last few days, I uninstalled a ton of old software, ran Microsoft Update, updated iTunes, update all sorts of drivers - and then tonight updated my video driver. In the midst of all this, I was looking through Add/Remove programs, and noticed that 4.2.2 was still showing as "installed" on the PC, alongside 4.3. So...I uninstalled 4.2.2 and rebooted.

Now Desktop 4.3 loaded and could see the Blackberry. I could configure Intellisync. BUT when I went to run the sync, I got a "device specific connection error". I reinstalled 4.3 a couple of times (painfully slow!), rebooted, etc.

Finally started to think that perhaps installing 4.3 OVER 4.2.2 didn't really replace the portions of 4.2.2 that were needed to properly talk to the 4.2.2 OS in my Curve -- so when I uninstalled 4.2.2 from the PC, THAT is what broke my ability to sync.

So...I uninstalled 4.3 and rebooted (another 15 mins of my life used up).

Then I installed 4.2.2 Desktop again and rebooted yet again. Plugged the Curve into the PC, was recognized, fired up Desktop 4.2.2 - and voila! I am now once again able to sync.

Unless I'm totally mistaken, it seems that 4.3 desktop installed by itself -- as opposed to being installed on top of 4.2.2 -- will not sync properly with a Curve running a 4.2.2 OS version.

Make sense to anyone else? Any reinforcing or contradictory experiences?

kpauley no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Desktop 4.3 Woes - and Fixes

From your description, it sounds like you are now back to 4.2.2, no 4.3 installed. Or did you install 4.2.2 again, sync'ed and then installed 4.3 on top of it?

Quote Originally Posted by kpauley View Post
    From your description, it sounds like you are now back to 4.2.2, no 4.3 installed. Or did you install 4.2.2 again, sync'ed and then installed 4.3 on top of it?
    I'm currently back to 4.2.2 - with no trace of 4.3 remaining.

As I mentioned above, I believe that it would still sync if I reinstalled 4.3 on top of 4.2.2. That worked before. But the situation I saw that did NOT work was when I tried uninstalling 4.2.2 first, and then installing 4.3 by itself. Stand-alone 4.3 does not work for me.

I'm not especially comfortable with the idea of a hybrid install, depending on part of 4.2.2 and part of 4.3, so I'm back to a "pure" 4.2.2 install. Think I'll stay there until RIM comes out with something new - either an OS upgrade for the 8300 Curve (4.3.x please!), or a new DM install that can actually work as a stand-alone install.

macallik no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe

i installed it. everything is fine. just the home screen changed. i don't know what is suppose to be so different.

I actually wound up reinstalling 4.3...think I must have posted about that elsewhere? Anyway, here's what I found, after several installs, uninstalls, etc.:

4.2 generally "works" for me (I'm using XP pro), but it also seems to leave orphaned instances of the BB device manager process running (as seen in Windows task mgr). I either have to shut them down one at a time in task manager, by hand, or reboot the pc periodically. I also found, on rebooting, that these processes didn't cooperate well with Windows "close" message that the OS sent to the application, so a Windows shutdown had become a slow and painful process: there would be a long pause, then Windows would prompt me, noting that the application (don't remember exact name, but it was clearly bb dev mgr) would not close and it offered me the choice of forcing it to close. If I had six or seven instances already running, it would add a few minutes to the shutdown sequence, and generally add to the annoyance in the process.

When I installed 4.3, I originally did it over 4.2, without uninstalling the older version first. I got the new UI, everything seemed to work about the same, and I no longer seemed to be getting stranded bb dev mgr process instances. A few days later, I was cleaning up my pc and decided to go ahead and delete 4.2 -- and then noticed that 4.3 could no longer sync properly with my Curve.

I uninstalled everything, reinstalled 4.3, and it still gave me sync errors.

So I uninstalled 4.3, rebooted, installed 4.2 and used it for a couple of days. It worked, but I once again had the bb dev mgr instances getting stuck in memory. So I finally reinstalled 4.3 on top of it, and found this this seems to be the best setup - at least on my machine. With 4.3 installed on top of 4.2, the Curve syncs perfectly, all software features seems to work, and I don't have any stranded processes sitting in memory.

N1KON no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2526CC32

Just in case anyone installs it on vista hp and cant get it to open you need to edit your registery as when it installs it doesnt give you read permisions. If anyone wants to know what keys and how to edit let me know and i'll talk you through it.
    TMO UK
    PIN: 2526CC32

scampbell185 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24210A68

has anyone been successful in putting movies on their curve using the 4.3 version and roxio?