Does anyone have some help for backing up/syncing the fields between BB and Outlook Express? ... RIM Desktop Software forum

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!

Question Contacts sync and BU

Advertisement

Does anyone have some help for backing up/syncing the fields between BB and Outlook Express? I' using OE because it is the only option that I'm aware of - there may be a better one and I'm open to suggestions there too.

The problem is that many of the fields between the BB and OE (which may be different from Outlook (without the Express) don't correspond. One in particular is PIN. When I enter nothing other than a first and last name and a PIN on my BB, it never shows up in the Outlook Express address book. I might add that I don't use either Outlook for email - just a backup vehicle.

Any help or points to threads that address this would be appreciated. I searched the stacks some and didn't find exactly what I need so I started a new thread - hope I'm not being too lazy.
    Thanks
    jb

Sci-Tek no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: Contacts sync and BU

If im not misstaken the desktop manager 4.2 sp2 got the option for Outlook Express (was a little diffuse, did you choose outlook or outlook express in Desktop Manager?). try DLing it if you don't have the OE option.

If you have the option, in DM go to synchronize -> configure sync. Click Address Book and hit the advanced button.
    Hit the Map Fields.. button.
    Here you can manually specify where which field goes where.

Hope it helps you.

Cheers.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: Contacts sync and BU

Sci-Tek,

Thanks for the reply. I originally chose Outlook Express because I thought that it was the only choice for that version of Desktop Mgr. - that was inexperience working and months ago.

I'm aware of the synchronizing method including the field mapping. etc. My problem with OE was that, if I put an entry in my phone with only a name and PIN, the entry never showed up in OE when I ran the sync although it was still in the phone contacts. I switched to Outlook after opening this thread - Outlook seems to have more fields and now, after sync-ing, the entry shows up in Outlook with the name but WITHOUT the PIN listed. It's still in my phone - it's just that I don't seem to be able to find a field that will allow the PIN to be "backed up" in Outlook. Right now the (default Outlook) field that's assigned to (the handheld) PIN is 'User Defined String 1" - I have no idea where that is supposed to show up in the Outlook contacts display.(?)

Low priority problem I guess but a nagging one. (If I'm going to go to the trouble of sync-ing and backing up, I want EVERYTHING to be there.)

Thanks again,
    jb