Hello, I need some major help. I purchased and 8700C 1 year ago. No major ... RIM Desktop Software forum

doogyoot no está en línea Stack level 1

Can't uninstall v4.1, can't install v4.2, ABOUT TO GIVE UP

Advertisement

Hello, I need some major help.

I purchased and 8700C 1 year ago. No major complaints, has been a good tool.

Desktop software v4.1 stopped working on my PC mysteriously in January, so I never was able to sync since that time. The error I was receiving was a small window prompting me to install the v4.1 disc (it did not come with the 8700c, and I downloaded it from the BB website).

My 8700C stopped working reliably this past weekend (white screen and buttons at times did not have tactile feedback, so this could be a mechanical problem). I decided I wanted to upgrade anyway to a Pearl.

I tried to install the v4.2 desktop manager. It got through most of the installation process, then it prompted me for the v4.1 disc?

I tried to uninstall v4.1 using control panel (I have Windows XP Prof) and it again prompts me to use the disk which I never had. So I tried to download v4.1 again from BB website (successful). But when I go to open the zip file, it again prompts me to insert the v4.1 disc!!!??

I went to BB support website and went through the process of deleting the registries for BB, then re-set atl.dll per the instructions on the BB website. I also went into Program Files and deleted the Research In Motion Folder. Then, I go back to control panel and the BB Desktop Manager v4.1 still shows up in the list of programs that I can modify/remove. So I try to uninstall it again, and it asks for the v4.1 disc again.

So now I am stuck with a new Pearl, still no DM software to sync all my business info. I am about to GIVE UP.

Has anyone experienced something similar or can help me through this?

I'm not even going to remove the protective plastic film in case I can't get this issue resolved.

Sometimes, having a cell phone that is just a cell phone makes a lot of sense if the software to make a more complicated/sophisticated cell phone/pda can't be made bulletproof :

I also tried reinstalling the v4.2 DM using the disc that came with the Pearl again after all of the above. The error that I get says the installation log could not be found and suggests that I verify the install location exists and is writable??

Anyone out there that can help?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by doogyoot; 10-02-2007 at 03:02 PM.

rexlt no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Can't uninstall v4.1, can't install v4.2, ABOUT TO GIVE UP

Very curious, have not seen that before. However, a suggestion to try is that maybe when you have ensured that the Research In Motion folder has been deleted, is to try using something like Registry Mechanic or some other free PC tool from a magazine or download.com that will clean up all the dead files, registry entries, unused startup applications, etc.

Cleaning out the dead fluffy stuff that accumulates over time in a PC may solve your issue. It will certainly be good your computer anyway. Good luck.

littleacorn no está en línea Stack Professional

i have a similar issue; basically the file is dead. there is nothing left of it except an entry in the registry that you must find.

click ctrl-f while in regedit; use the search words for blackberry, research in motion, etc., anything that will help you find it in the registry.

after having this on my comp fyi: i still have it, i was still able to download 4.2.2 and install it.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Check out the end of this link for what you need to do in the Registry.

Be very careful, as if you decide to play around in the registry, you could end up doing a ton of damage to your computer.

Guess a link would help, eh?

Sorry about that:
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...p_manager.html
    Last edited by N8DBB; 10-22-2007 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Automerged.