Hello, I'm new to this forum. I have the Blackberry Pearl 8100 which replaced my ... RIM Desktop Software forum

cevmiranda no está en línea Stack level 1

Can't Uninstall Desktop Manager 4.2

Advertisement

Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I have the Blackberry Pearl 8100 which replaced my older model. I've been using BBerrys for quite a few years now.

I installed Desktop Manager 4.2.0.14 but cannot uninstall the application. I running into an Internal error message when synchronizing so I thought re-installing the app. Whenever I try to remove it using add/remove in control panel, I get the application interrupted message and thebutton only available to me is the Finish button.

I've searched the forums and have not run into this problem yet.

I've even downloaded the DTM 4.2 application to try to uninstall DTM using that application but it tells me that there is a newer version installed on my PC.

I'm running Windows XP SP2 with all the latest security updates. I'm also using McAfee Security Center for my firewall and anti-virus app.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Ed

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Re: Can't Uninstall Desktop Manager 4.2

Welcome to pinstack. Have you rebooted your computer? What about turning off your antivirus? I have Norton and I find I have to turn it off many times to do anything on my pc.

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Happy New Year Ed and Welcome to the Stacks. Take a look at this thread to see if this might help. http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...p_manager.html. Please let us know how it works.

Yes, I have rebooted my PC and also tried turning off my antivirus and firewall as well but it did not work.

Thank you for the quick response, however.

Happy New year to you too, ljbyar. I've actually taken a look at that thread but the problem is that I can't perform the first step. the remove function in add/remove within control panel runs right into the interrupted error so I can't get to the uninstall part of the app.

Thank you very much for the suggestion though.

Just to update you all, I was finally able to uninstall Desktop manager successfully. I had to manually delete all folders and files from Program files and Common areas. I then followed the "clean uninstall" steps that was suggested. I also added one more step while in regedit. I did a search for Blackberry Desktop Manager and deleted these references. This cleared the entry in the Add/Remove programs section of Windows.

Again, thank you for all your input. I hope this update helps others out there, too.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Thanks for the update. It may really help when someone else has this problem.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

tvannoort no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Re: Can't Uninstall Desktop Manager 4.2

Hi. I am having the same problem also. I am wondering if there were any negative side effects from doing a delete and then regedit? I am running Windows XP with all critical updates installed, Norton Internet Security and Webroot Spysweeper also.

Tracy

Tracy,

Doing regedit always carries an inherent risk if not done right. Being careful is the key. If done correctly, this should cure your problem.

I suggest the following:
    1. Create a restore point before performing this task. That way, if something goes wrong you can always roll back to the way your system was before performing the delete/regedit.
    2. Make sure all other apps are closed and not running.
    3. Make sure your Norton AV is disabled.
    4. Make sure your Webroot is alsow off/disabled (if possible).
    5. Perform the delete according to the suggestions prior to my thread.
    6. Then perform the delete, regedit as I've suggested.
    7. Reboot your pc.
    (if you want to re-install Desktop Manager properly)
    8. Turn off all apps, Norton, and Webroot again.
    9. Re-install DM...
    10. This should allow for a straightforward uninstall next time.

Good luck and I hope this helps.