Have the latest Desktop Manager (4.1.0), and loaded the latest OS 4.02 from TMobile. When ... RIM Desktop Software forum

slundy no está en línea Stack level 2

Can't restore address book -- HELP!

Advertisement

Have the latest Desktop Manager (4.1.0), and loaded the latest OS 4.02 from TMobile. When I did the os upgraded, it did a backup of all the data from the device, did the upgrade, and when I went to restore just the address book and calendar it is greyed out on the right side of the screen. It won't let me copy/overwrite it from the desktop to the palm. This is a users device and he has about 104 addresses that need to be restored.

Any ideas?

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: Can't restore address book -- HELP!

If the user has the 104 contacts in Outlook you can resync them via the desktop manager from there.

These were strictly contacts in his BB device, he never sync'd since he got to our company. (see the attachment)
    Attached Images Attached Images

PIN/ID
    ask

When the handheld OS version was upgraded the restore function should be automatic the need to go to advanced restore would be if the backup was for the current OS versions (the backup and the current blackberry OS are same OS versions. (just a thought)

The backup and the new OS my not be compatible to sync. In which case if contacts is the only thing missing you may need to sync via Outlook or Lotus Notes. Or downgrade to the same OS as the backup and upgrade using "erase and restore all automatically"

Welcome to pinstack!

I did get errors when the auto backup went after the os upgrade...but it didn't say what databases couldnt' be copied, so that's when I tried to 'resync' the address book, and saw that it was greyed out.

Thanks, glad to be here!

PIN/ID
    ask

Let me know if you get through or need anything else. Also try these:

http://www.pinstack.com/blackberryfa...ion=show&cat=4

I tried the "editing the address book in desktop manager" but it won't let me open it. I'm waiting for the user to call me back to see if he really wants me to try restoring his addresses. I"ll post what happens.

Ok, here's what I've done so far:

I downloaded a blackberry simulator, restored the address book to it after editing the pin number in the bat file used to start it. Then did a backup of the address book and tried to restore it to the actual device, but it told me that the address book on the device was read only. ideas?

Smile Re: Can't restore address book -- HELP!

After trying it using the intellisync option in desktop manager, I was following some advice on another board, I turned off "wireless sync" for the address book and it let me sync once again. I'm guessing when wireless sync is on for the address book it makes the book read-only except for wireless sync's.

whew...i don't care how it worked, just glad it worked, the user is a senior vp...

squished18 no está en línea Stack level 3

Hi slundy,

Thanks for posting your results. I learned a couple of things from your post:
    1) you can start the BB simulator with a different PIN by editing the batch file
    2) turning off "wireless sync" when handling syncs in unusual circumstances

Cool!

squished18

raymondkim no está en línea Stack level 1

Blackberry 8700g does not synch all MS Outlook address book.

Hello - My Blackberry 8700g does not synch all my address book. As it is synching my address book (MS Outlook), there's an error that
    says "Unable to write or update application data" so
    my whole address book is not updated. How fix? Thanks.

BBWrangler no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219DFD90
    First thing to do is check for blank entries in your address book, then delete them. The Desktop manager doesn't like them one bit.

You might also try backing up the contacts on the BB using backup and restore, then clearing the data from the handheld and trying the synch again. We find that helps when users don't see changes or get that error.

The last thing to check is to make sure wireless synch isn't enabled on the device.
    1) Open the Address Book:
    2) Click the Wheel and choose Options
    3) In the Address Book Options, you should see an entry that says something like:
    Enable Wireless Synchronization: YES
    5) Highlight this line and hit the space bar to change it to No, then hit the escape button and choose Save when prompted

Try synching again after checking these.
    It doesn't record video. Get over it.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

raymondkim, Welcome to PinStack.

You can usually find the first offending Contact, by viewing the Log in the Desktop Manager, Syncronization, Configuration and clicking on the log button. Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with this problem or your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Endoplasmic no está en línea Stack level 1

Just so I can add some data in here since I came here on a Google search. I upgraded my theme and my address book had 0 entries even though under options it said 96.

Quick fix is to change the filter to something that you didn't have, save it and you should see your addresses again. Go back to options and change it back to your regular sorting method and you'll be set.

Hope that helps somone else who has a missing blackberry address book.

Endoplasmic no está en línea Stack level 1

UPDATE: Much larger problem now... Doesn't matter what theme I use it seems like the address book is messed up. I have to change the filter every time I want to see my contacts. Little bit of a PITA.