Hi All, I have Verizon wireless and would like to move from my Windows Mobile ... RIM Desktop Software forum

DerekTheGeek no está en línea Stack level 2

Can I host my own BIS server?

Advertisement

Hi All,

I have Verizon wireless and would like to move from my Windows Mobile Treoo 700wx to a Blackberry device. Currently I Use a third party MS Exchange hosting service that provides "Direct Push" email to my Windows Mobile device. Exchange hosting can be expensive and since I don't use Outlook or any other Exchange features it seems a bit of a waste.

Am I correct in thinking that I can host my own version of BIS on my server? I already host my own HTTP servers, it's just that I am not familiar with BIS or BES. Would BIS be able to poll my mail servers every so often and send email to my Blackberry? Would I need to subscribe to some other service in order to get Blackberry functionality?

One thing I did like about the Exchange "Direct Push" setup is that my PDA (Treo 700wx) would poll the Exchange server directly. Is this possble with the Blackberry? Does the Blackberry poll my own BIS servers directly via IP or does everything go through the RIM network?

I would rather not have to use Verizon's Blackberry service if possible. Even if it is included with the service.

Thank you all. I apologize if this has been posted already. I tried using the search service but did not find anything similar to what I was aksing.

- dtg

graphreak no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Can I host my own BIS server?

I'd think that running one's own BIS would necessarily mean running your own
    Wireless Data Service with a direct tie-up with RIM.
    A pretty expensive proposition I'm sure.

Hosting one's own email server(s) is the easy part.
    Solution A: BIS for your own POP3 email server(s). A few decent Free POP3 servers are available.
    Cheaper than the other solution which is-
    Solution B: BES for Microsoft® Exchange or IBM® Lotus® Domino® or Novell® GroupWise®.

For an individual (one user only), I believe RIM allows you to download and use their
    "BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express – Small Business Edition" version free.
    Here's the link for the site: http://www.blackberry.net/select/server/express.shtml
    Whcih of course means you already have (or need) Microsoft® Exchange or
    IBM® Lotus® Domino® or Novell® GroupWise® running on your server.

Possibly something you might want to consider maybe?
    Wireless Data Service again is a must by default for any solution.

More on BES at RIM here- http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/server/
    & BIS here- http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/internet/

Not sure if this is the info you are looking for but, HTH.
    ~Graph
    8700g>DASH><8320><P1i><E71-2><G1>

paullamm no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319b4998

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Your wireless carrier hosts the BIS. Once you get your new BB just log on to their website and set-up your email accounts. Your email will be pushed to the device. There is no need for you to host a BIS. You can have up to 10 accounts pushed to the BB

DerekTheGeek no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by paullamm
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Your wireless carrier hosts the BIS. Once you get your new BB just log on to their website and set-up your email accounts. Your email will be pushed to the device. There is no need for you to host a BIS. You can have up to 10 accounts pushed to the BB
    As I mentioned in my original post, I don't want to use the BIS services of Verizon Wireless. I do not want them accessing my email accounts. By hosting my own BIS server I could ensure that only my BIS server is accessing my email accounts. From that point on the mail is encrypted as it travels through the RIM network and then to my device.

- dtg