It looks like 4.2 doesn't support Palm Desktop (although I'm almost positive the Switch Device Wizard supports migrating from a Palm device to a BlackBerry). Desktop Manager 4.2 supports the following organizers:
• ACT!® 4.0.2/2000/6.0 (not available to non latin 1 languages) Desktop Manager 4.1 doesn't support syncing with Palm Desktop either - only migrating, and earlier versions won't work with the 8800.
• ASCII character-separated text file
• Novell GroupWise 6.0.1/6.5.4 or higher and 7.0 (not available to non latin 1 languages)
• IBM Lotus Notes 5.0.6 or higher, 6.0/6.5/7.0
• IBM Lotus Organizer 6.1 (not available to non latin 1 languages)
• Microsoft Outlook 2000/2003/XP/2007
• Microsoft Outlook Express 5/6