So I was contemplating doing the upgrade to 4.5 for the doc program and to ... RIM Desktop Software forum

camerr55 no está en línea Stack level 2

back up issues w/ "profiles"

Advertisement

So I was contemplating doing the upgrade to 4.5 for the doc program and to end the annoying 2 second delay when I make a call and someone answers... well, when I go to back up the phone using the DTM I get through about 50% of the back up and then when it gets to "profiles:" it stops and says there was a communication error.

When I go to a full list of whats on my phone there is something that says "profiles" with 6 bites or whatever. I am not brave enough to just clear that or anything but was hoping that someone could lead me in the right direction of how to solve this problem.

Thanks in advance. I looked all over for the answer before posting I swear!

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Hey camerr55,

I'm afraid the only way around it is to clear that database. If you have customized those profiles at all, you will lose those customizations, but at least you will then be able to do a complete backup.

Hope this helps,
    Roger

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    "Profiles" refers to the speaker icon you click to set the device to "loud", "normal", etc.
    Click on it, scroll down to "advanced". Then "Use active profile except for:", then uncheck the contacts who you've assigned a custom ring tone to. Do your back up.
    This bug has been reported to RIM.
    After downloading 4.5 to desktop, click on icon and run/open program by following prompts. It must be opened/installed on pc for DM to catch it. After running-installing-opening it, delete vendor file

Forgot...once you've got 4.5 installed, go to DM and transfer all your stuff-memo, contacts, tasks, etc. Then go into contacts, scroll to bottom, and reassign custom tones. Until RIM fixes Profile prob in backup, you'll have to uncheck prior, then reassign after back ups.

camerr55 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Unfortunately I do not have any special ring tones for any of my contacts. I also hit another road block... while downloading 4.6 DTM when it got to replacing the Roxio Manager it said that it couldnt find the temp file to install it, so it just came back error every time. So now I dont have a desktop manager either, ha.

Whats the vendor file? thanks... I knew I should have just lived with 4.3...

Follow the process outlined above. You must've strayed off factory in those profiles.
    Make sure spy and virus progs are disabled and try reinstalling DM. May want to go to add-delete first,and wipe previous attempt if anything got installed.

Tre Lawrence no está en línea Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    Hey camerr55,

I'm afraid the only way around it is to clear that database. If you have customized those profiles at all, you will lose those customizations, but at least you will then be able to do a complete backup.

Hope this helps,
    Roger

This is what worked for me and others.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by camerr55 View Post
    Unfortunately I do not have any special ring tones for any of my contacts. I also hit another road block... while downloading 4.6 DTM when it got to replacing the Roxio Manager it said that it couldnt find the temp file to install it, so it just came back error every time. So now I dont have a desktop manager either, ha.

Whats the vendor file? thanks... I knew I should have just lived with 4.3...
    camerr, try uninstalling DM completely from your PC before downloading a new version. 4.7 is available from RIM now, too, fyi.

Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs (Programs and Features if you're on Vista). Look for BlackBerry Desktop Software and uninstall what's there, reboot your PC, download the new DM of your choice and reboot your PC again.