Results 1 to 3 of 3

I've been using various versions of Desktop Manager over the past few years and have ... RIM Desktop Software forum

  1. #1
    aydeejones's Avatar
    aydeejones no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1

    Anyone recently installed Desktop Manager on a "Fresh Machine?"

    Advertisement



    I've been using various versions of Desktop Manager over the past few years and have gotten pretty accustomed to the various quirks and troubleshooting techniques required to wrangle with it.

    The other day I went to install the latest May-18 4.2SP2 download (with the media manager bundle) on a "fresh machine" where the software has never been installed previously. The BlackBerry is detected just fine, and I can perform Backup / Restore operations, but after configuring the sync (Outlook 2003) and clicking "Synchronize Now," the title bar briefly shows "Working" and then "Connected," but nothing happens -- no sync occurs.

    Since then I have performed clean uninstalls and have tried previous versions of the software. No joy. I have tried installing it on other machines on our corporate domain, same exact problem.

    One of our users recently switched devices and brought in his laptop (not joined to the domain) to have us reconfigure his sync software. This particular problem was lower-level--it was not detecting his device at all due to an issue with the USB port. In the process of troubleshooting I uninstalled and reinstalled DM4.2SP2. After determining it was a USB port issue, I swapped his BlackBerry with a brand new model, and have the exact same problem on his laptop now, which is not joined to our domain and not subject to the same restrictive security policies.

    The problem is machine-specific, not device-specific. Has nothing to do with my NT user context -- machine local admin, regular limited user, power user, brand new user with a fresh user profile, etc.

    I can sync my Curve on my one working system just fine, but can't sync it elsewhere. "Working...Connected."

    I'm thinking this may involve recent Windows updates, but my working machine is completely updated. The only difference is that the working software was installed months ago, and has been working all along--I run into the problem now when installing the software from scratch.

    In the process of troubleshooting, I've done the clean uninstalls and have tried various versions of 4.1, 4.2, from CDs, from the website, etc.

    I'm curious if anyone else has run into this...

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    ma077146's Avatar
    ma077146 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    PIN/ID
    3019F3E6
    Posts
    945

    Re: Anyone recently installed Desktop Manager on a "Fresh Machine?"

    I had my work machine completely wiped and reimaged on Tuesday last week. I've spent the last few days reinstalling software as the need arises. Of course, BB was the number 1 priority!

    Since reinstalling, I've not had any issues. I'm running XP Pro with the latest service pack.

    However, I did have a problem similar to what you describe a number of years ago. The problem ended up being a .dll file that was getting unregistered. I remember it had "atl" in the name, but not the whole name. I'll take a lookie around and see if I can dig that info up. If so, I'll post.

  3. #3
    ma077146's Avatar
    ma077146 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    PIN/ID
    3019F3E6
    Posts
    945

    Re: Anyone recently installed Desktop Manager on a "Fresh Machine?"

    A few minutes later....................

    I wrote the below up on my company's technical forum after I had the problem! Doesn't sound exactly like what you're dealing with, but maybe will help.

    This was the problem I reported:

    We recently received our Blackberry 7510 units. I can download and install the 7510 software from iConnect on a Tecra 8100, and synchronize files between the Blackberry and Microsoft Outlook.

    I have one of the new Toshiba Tecra M1 laptops. The software installs fine, but I can't synch any information. When I try to configure the PIM devices, I get a message box reporting "Unknown Error Has Occured".

    I copied every applicable file from the Tecra 8100 to the new M1, and still got the same error. This makes me think it is an issue with the new laptop.

    Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, have you found a fix?

    And this was the fix:

    1. Uninstall the BlackBerry Desktop Manager (Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs)

    2. Manually delete the following folders:


    Research in Motion folder from C:\Program Files
    For Windows 2000 and XP, delete the Research in Motion folder from C:\Documents and
    Settings\User Name\Application Data
    Pumatech Shared folder from C:\Program Files\Common Files

    3. Open the Registry Editor from Start>Run and type "regedit". Delete the following
    keys:

    Research in Motion from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software
    Research in Motion folder from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software

    4. From Start>Run type "regsvr32_alt.dll" (Re-registers this .dll file)

    5. Restart the computer

    6. Reinstall BlackBerry Desktop Manager
    Last edited by ma077146; 08-11-2007 at 07:39 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •